Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
951Michael
AF Newbie

Batteries for diesel 3500

Hi Yall,

I got a 2006 chevy silverado 3500. It has two batteries in it. Was never sure why it needed two batteries. Well it is completely dead. Where do yall think is the best place to buy new batteries for the best price if you plan on selling the car in a year? I was thinking just going with the walmart everstart batteries or something similar. But was hoping if you could steer me in the right direction so I do not make a big mistake. I live in the cold by the way... North Dakota.

Thanks
951Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Batteries for diesel 3500

I don't think that would be a big mistake. Those batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls (at last check) and are of reasonable quality. Just get the batteries with the higest CCA or reserve ratings possible in the group sizes needed (in case there are two different size batteries).
Old 02-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I use costco batteries . they are about $85 and I keep them for 7 yrs . they do work. you have 2 batteries so buy the same .. having 2 batteries should have a charging control relay and switch to isolate the aux battery. many use this setup because the do off road camping .. also they have a solar panel to charge the aux battery.
my vehicle use, I only need one .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Many newer vehicles have two batteries, not ony of different sizes/group numbers, but also of different designs. There are a lot of vehicles with a smaller AGM battery under a rear seat or in the trunk/cargo area which are intended for body functions, and a separate plain lead/acid battery (without the glass mat) for starting and powertrain functions. This was at least as early as 2006. Just check the size/type before jumping in with both feet, and don't use an AGM battery in an engine compartment since they really don't like the heat.

And BTW - I just replaced a Johnson battery in my '96 Impala last weekend. The battery was 12 years old and finally wouldn't hold charge.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #5
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Old thread I realize, but just adding info - My Duramax diesel powered 2015 has 2 batteries. Both factory units died at 3 years old. I replaced them with Walmart Everstart (or whatever their top of the line batteries are called).
3 years and 60K miles later, still fine. They also have a 5 year nationwide warranty, with 3 years free replacement, then pro-rated after that.
Cost me $93 each, I think pricing is still the same, or close to it.
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado