Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
williams0214
AF Newbie

91 jetta 1.8 liter starts and dies about 3 secs later

have a 91 jetta 1.8 liter gas wolfsburg edition. It will start right up with no hesitation. The problem is it will run for a couple seconds and then shuts right off. To me it seems like a fule problem. I changed the fuel filter and installed new plugs. I also cleaned the idle stabilizer sensor though will check it a little more in detail as I didn't realize ther was a small piston looking piece in there that was supposed to move so wasn't looking for that. I also sprayed throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and cleaned that out along with air inlet hose. There was significant grease buildup in both areas. The first time this occured I was able to feather the gas pedal some and kept it running I can't do that now. Also don't know if it matters but the old plugs were a bit darker more black looking than anything but the car doesn't seem to burn oil.

Before all of this happened the idle was erratic at times after it had heated up and I would stop at a traffic light the idle would jump up to around 2000 rpm's and then drop back to about 900 this would happen every few seconds.

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated. I am fairly well mechanically inclined but always did better with old chevy's and the like especially before all the computer and emissions stuff started coming into play. Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.
BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102
williams0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Franco2112
AF Regular

Re: 91 jetta 1.8 liter starts and dies about 3 secs later

Sounds like your having an issue at your distributor or ignition coils and possibly plug wires. These parts may look good, but if you look closely they may have developed brittleness and cracks. These cracks bring in moister from dew and rain and make your car run bad.
Franco2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail behind the engine head. The other thing that comes to mind would be that the idle air control valve is closing down, or that you have a vacuum leak.

I -think- that on these Jettas, the Idle Air Control valve goes to 'completely shut' when the engine is warm. The actual idle speed then being controlled by an adjusting screw that keeps the throttle valve slightly open. (This is different from most American fuel injection systems, where the throtle valve is fully closed when you foot is off the gas - and the IAC does the controlling of idle speed.) It also means that every 100,000 miles you may need to adjust the idle speed, as the adjusting screw wears down against the throttle mechanism.
I have a 90 Jetta (also 1.8 engine & Wolfsburg Ed.) that runs fine, though the IAC is -absent- and the two hoses are plugged shut. Its a little hard to get started on a cold day, but since its in South Texas, not usually a problem. A malfunctioning IAC could explain the wide excursions in idle speed.
But a bad vacuum leak could create your symptoms. Make sure the rubber duct coming from the air filter housing doesnt have rips/tears in it. The computer needs to see the input from the mass air flow sensor in that air filter housing, to decide to run the injectors the right amount. Its the only way the computer knows how much air is coming in.
I measured the fuel pressure on mine with a home-made tool. There is a little bolt in the very end of the fuel rail, on the end toward the drivers side. If you unscrew that bolt, a little fuel should squirt out - so dont be smoking when you do this. (be sure to keep the housing from turning if the tiny bolt is tight). I think its an 8 mm bolt, or maybe a 7 mm. I clamped a length of 5/16" hose over the end of that little tube, and put a pressure gauge on the other end of the hose. Any guage that will read above 50 psi will do. I used an antique one from an old hot water boiler. With the key turned on (more than once, to build up the pressure) but without starting it, it should show something like 40-42 psi - if I recall correctly. With the engine running it will drop back to perhaps 32 psi at an idle, and somewhat higher pressures (like 36-38 psi) when you push the gas pedal down suddenly. That is because the fuel pressure regulator controls fuel pressure based on how much vacuum there is in the manifold. If you see pressures lower than these by more than 20%, either you have a fuel problem - or your gauge is way off.
Your car has 2 fuel pumps. One is under the car, on the passenger side below the back seat. The other one is inside the tank. My vague impression is that the car will sort-of-run if the pump in the tank has died, but wont start and run if the 'main' fuel pump has quit. You should be able to hear them run for about a second after the ignition sw is turned on - if its a quiet location. There is a fuel filter next to that main pump - though I havent taken mine apart yet. (knock on wood). By listening at the fuel filler neck, you might be able to tell if the in-tank pump is running.
I havent had any issues with the fuel pump relay on my Jetta - but the Volvo 240's from the later 80's had the same type of fuel pump system, and had a fuel pump relay that was known for going bad. Unfortunately I dont know which of the many relays on the Jetta is for the fuel pump.
If you need to check the fuel filter -sock- inside the fuel tank, you access the fuel pump/sender/pickup assembly through a hole in the floor of the trunk. Rarely that sock can get clogged. Though not with rust, the Jetta fuel tank is ABS plastic.

Dark or black plugs can result from it running too rich - or from running so lean that it misfires a lot, or from running with the spark retarded. And once they are -black- they can be fouled out, and not pass the spark when trying to start it. I dont know if the Jetta distributor has a vacuum advance mechanism in it - if so, make sure that is working freely. If its gets stuck and doesnt advance, your plugs will get pretty dark, and you will have Feeble power at driving speeds, if it will even get above 40 mph.
Let us know how it turns out. Then I can learn too.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
williams0214
AF Newbie

Well I manahed to get it running tested the fuel pressure and it was all seemed to check out fine. The car still didn't want to start so went back through checking vacuum lines, cleaned idle air control valve, and also the MAF sensor, just for good measure. Also took the time to clean up electrical connectors. Still didn't want to start. Ended up spraying some starting fluid to see if it would stay running that did keep it running and afterward the car would stay running. Shut it off and restarted it a couple of times with ease.

Well that was the end of the good news, as later the same day went to leave the house around dusk started the car it started just fine, turned the headlights on and it died, instantly, turned them off and restarted the car started fine, happened a couple of times so gave up that night. then I tried the next day to run to a store in it just around the corner, now it doesn't get any spark. It will turn over fine and appears to be getting fuel as I can get a pretty good smell of gas under the hood.

As I said before these computerized cars get to me some, it seems to be something electrically wrong causing these problems. I was thinking of changing the alternator and the coild to see if that will fix my current issues, as no spark that is most likely what I would do on an older car.

Does this seem like a reasonable plave to start? Also I have read about an ECM relay or even the ECM could be going bad, what does anyone think about those chances? My wife is an electronics tech by trade and was going to read through some of the electrical aspects of the car but doesn't know what readings for sure and what she should read out, by any chance does someone have a schematic or wiring diagram for this car.

Again any help is much appreciated.
williams0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
laneman
AF Newbie

I'm having the same problem.Did you ever find the solution?
laneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Binder_Bai
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 91 jetta 1.8 liter starts and dies about 3 secs later

I had the same problem with My Jetta but this morning i just went out to the Garage and checked if i hooked up something wrong and what i see is that the temp. sending unit was switched with the AC Cluch sending unit and i just switched them back and the cat is good to go. Now i have to fix the Ignition Problem and i know i will do it for sure. This car is a master Peice and i Love it.
Binder_Bai is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96