Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Universal door lock Actuator will work on 2001

:ebay Item number. 5795165295 Universal power door lock Actuators..
I DID SOME RESEARCH A WHILE BACK ON THE POWER DOOR LOCK ACTUATORS. In some cases the front door locks would not work half the time or not at all. in my case the pasanger side stop working all together.. The door lock actuactor was too pricey and would most likely go out again.. The universal type is a cheap replacement that works really well. Location is the key and is not hard to do..I did mine in about 2 hours but would have been done sooner if I did not have to scout my location and plan my action. On the pasanger side the wires are easy to get to I spliced right in leaving the old actuator in place and still pluged in.. There is a square hole in the area along with a big opening and a small hole. the small square is were I put the actuator.. The wires that control it are red and light blue from the winstar.. I will try to take pics later, but I just wanted to say it will work.. my next project is the drivers side.. It works half the time, and will again leave every thing in place just add the uni actuator... Keep in mind clearance issues with the window if you have it high enough and close too the inside wall were you can see it through the square hole you will have no trouble.. The Ebay item number I have shown is for 4 actuators but I just put that there to show what type I used...You can get what you need,, one is about 8.00 with shipping if your a lucky bidder... Hope this helps try to have pics soon.. Gary
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Jeckler
AF Newbie

Re: Universal door lock Actuator will work on 2001

Good job. My driver's side doesn't like to lock (but will unlock, wierd). I might go this route.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Universal door lock Actuator will work on 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler
Good job. My driver's side doesn't like to lock (but will unlock, wierd). I might go this route.
Mine started like that then would do it every now again then would'nt lock at all or unlock then nothing but noise and no action you could always see the attempt by the moving door rod other than that nothing else. my drivers side works like that as well but will, when it wants too.. every now in again it works but not when you want it too like during a thunder storm..LOL.. So the drivers side is my next project.. I got the camera ready but its not digital so hopfully the film will turn out good.. or may break down and by a better digi cam this week-end.. the other I have is junk..
Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Universal door lock Actuator will work on 2001

Look forward to the pics. When you say you left everything hooked up as is, did you leave the original actuator still hooked up to the lock rod? When I replaced my actuator recently it had a lot of drag from age and built up grime. I would think that might affect the life of the new universal actuator if it has to move the old actuator assembly as well as the lock. Might be worthwhile to leave it in place but disconnect where it attaches to the lock rod.

Then again if its only $9 you could buy a bunch of replacements and not worry about it.
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
garync1
AF Enthusiast

got the pics need to know were to post them. Pics wont download here.
As for the auto lock feature I will explain that I need to further study this..
Old 08-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #6
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

You can post them here:

http://groups.msn.com/FordWindstar

Then add links in a post here to the photo pages.
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Got to that site, signed up but cant find were to upload pics ..easy on this site but my pic size are 1mb or more. I can email if some one pm's me.. Also u think i could downsize my photo but not to sure how or if it can be done. I guess I will do more thinking... LETS GET R done..
Old 08-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
Tim Nakken
AF Newbie

If you download Picasa from Google (free) it will resize your pictures for you for emailing. It is a great program for handling digital pictures and the price is right :-) Tim
Tim Nakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
garync1
AF Enthusiast

http://windstarlock.blogspot.com
This is the site where I posted the pics and gives some info.. I have more pics that lewis form this forum is helping me with. I hope these work and will try to add more once i get it all figured out.. Gary
http://doorlock2.blogspot.com

Last edited by garync1; 08-14-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Btt
Old 04-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
garync1
AF Enthusiast

I just wanted to post that for 7 months now I have not had any problems with the universal actuators I added on after the windstars front door locks failed. I still think this is an easy less expensive way to fix the power door lock problems.Hope this helps..
Old 04-10-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
cao226
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by garync1
I just wanted to post that for 7 months now I have not had any problems with the universal actuators I added on after the windstars front door locks failed. I still think this is an easy less expensive way to fix the power door lock problems.Hope this helps..
Gary,

I am planning on replacing the actuators in the front doors, and I was very glad to see your post. Autozone wants $45 for each actuator and I need 2 meaning a total of $90 which isn’t horrible, but if I can do it for $15 that is obviously much better :-D.

I was reading through some of your posts on this topic and it wasn’t clear to me why you left the old actuator in place. Would you mind explaining this?

Thanks,
Chris
cao226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
IanMc
AF Newbie

Hi Gary - awesome post and pictures -- thanks very much for taking the time and effort.

On my 2000 Windstar three out of the 5 locks (two front and right rear slider) are either on their way out (and getting worse week by week) or not working more than a slight quiver. I was getting a little anxious at the price to fix all these actuators until I came across your post.

I found what looks like a very similar actuator on ebay but wanted to run it by you anyways:

Ebay#: 9708714808

Like the previous poster I would also like to know the reason for keeping the old actuator connected physically and electrically.

And on the following picture on your blog it appears as if the mount strip has been bent somewhere behind the sheet metal. Was that required or is it just an optical illusion??

thanks again

Ian.
IanMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #14
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cao226
Gary,

I am planning on replacing the actuators in the front doors, and I was very glad to see your post. Autozone wants $45 for each actuator and I need 2 meaning a total of $90 which isn’t horrible, but if I can do it for $15 that is obviously much better :-D.

I was reading through some of your posts on this topic and it wasn’t clear to me why you left the old actuator in place. Would you mind explaining this?

Thanks,
Chris
Now on my 2001 the actuator is part of the linkgage and would have been more of a problem to take them out also the actuators are part of a series curcuit so i was a little worried if I took them out I would have added extra work. This was a simple wire splice, so in other words the old actuators still have power going to them but they dont work so the other actuators kick in all of the work.. And every power door lock option still works correctly even keyless entry... I was worried if i pulled the old actuator out I would have had to modify the whole set up some way.. Leaving everything in place was the easiest way to fix my problem. The reason why i wanted to give an update.. If I had an issue with the electrics such as blowing fues and or relays this would have not have been such a great Idea. But I had NO problems....what so ever and evrything works Great.. Just make sure you keep your power window clearance in mind. before you put your panel back on test the window for clearance and make sure the new universal type actuator is in tight so it wont come loose..hope this helps.. Gary
Old 04-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMc
Hi Gary - awesome post and pictures -- thanks very much for taking the time and effort.

On my 2000 Windstar three out of the 5 locks (two front and right rear slider) are either on their way out (and getting worse week by week) or not working more than a slight quiver. I was getting a little anxious at the price to fix all these actuators until I came across your post.

I found what looks like a very similar actuator on ebay but wanted to run it by you anyways:

Ebay#: 9708714808

Like the previous poster I would also like to know the reason for keeping the old actuator connected physically and electrically.

And on the following picture on your blog it appears as if the mount strip has been bent somewhere behind the sheet metal. Was that required or is it just an optical illusion??

thanks again

Ian.
Yep those will work shipping a little high.... I had to cut but not bend the strip it may have bent a little because of the stamped metal door but no 45 degree bends or antything like that.. Ohh I think you are speaking of the crooked peace. The big bolt you see in the middle of the picture is the window guide bolt or harware bolt for the power window assembly. I used it as a monting place for the universal actuator.. and the strip for the acuator bracket .. the strips holes were to small so I cut one side of the strip so the it would fit and snuged the bolt down around it for a secure mounting .. I explained below why I left the old actuators on.. It was easier to leave them in place and also the universal actuators 2 wire set up is open closed and I did not want to mess around with the 3 or 4 wire set up and also the old actuators are part of the linkgage.. All power door lock options work fine, even keyless entry.. Hope this helps.. Gary

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar