Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
pmaloney
AF Newbie

'98 windstar front right clunking

the right front shock on my van seems ok, but when you hit bumps there is a very pronounced rattling thump noise.

i've seen some other posts on here that were kind of similar, and they mentioned the strut bearings or something, and another one mentioned welding something.....

any ideas as to what I should do? Im leary of taking it to a shop and getting hosed becasue I don't know any better....

i've got to get the tie rod done, as my steering is noisy, but the clunk was happening before the loud tir rod...
pmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Grant@Tirerack
AF Enthusiast

Re: '98 windstar front right clunking

Having the same issue with mine. Any ideas?
fax# 574-236-7707
email: grant@tirerack.com
Grant@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Hi
I can tell you about the welding people speak of. The front suspension lower arm runs from the lower control arm forward to the vehicle frame. This arm is bolted at the frame and at the control arm. Where this arm passes through the frame is a steel sleeve. This sleeve's welds break and allow it to move slightly - I can move the one on my van bare-handed - and thus produces metal on metal noise. It doesnt matter how tight you get the bolts on the arm since the sleeve is floating freely in the frame. I have read that you can tack weld it back into place, and that over time it often breaks loose again, but you can enjoy the peace in the meanwhile.

As for the strut bearing, I think usually those will make noise while turning the wheel side to side while the vehicle is stopped and the sound is localized to the top of the strut tower. So if that doesn't describe your noise, I would look elsewhere.

Good luck
busboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
PumpItUp
AF Regular

Busboy 4 has the right info....If you do a search on the top of this screen looking for clunking., you'll find a multitude of the same headaches. I answered this same problem in the past as my 96' had the same problem after the 2nd year. Ford will not touch this concern /complaint(as a recall) and there is countless cases of the exact problem reoccuring (as I just went to Ford and inquired again. ..grrr..) I went to "Midas" and they knew right away the problem.. they showed me the repair that they were going to do and the spot welding on the one(engine) side took about 10 minutes but still cost me $70.00 Cdn. but they welded both and OMG.. it's great having no "c-l-u-n-k-i-n-g" at every stop and go.. bumps potholes etc. Ford stated that they would have to replace the part?? No replacement is going to fix it unless it's welded from my experience at 4 shops.. looking for the best welding prices! Good luck and make sure it is a reputable welding shop!
PumpItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
wiswind
AF Moderator

I had the same welded at a Ford Dealer for $700 (US). I Didn't know any better..... Then started hearing the same again in about 2 years........
Had a DIFFERENT Ford dealer do it for $150 (US).....and has not gone out again in 4 years.
I have had mostly VERY good service from the second Ford Dealer......And they get my business now.....for the few things that I do not do myself.....

Is really a minor problem..sounds worse than it really is......but one that I would want to get repaired...for the peace of mine knowing that it is not something else that is more serious....you will like your windstar a lot better without the clunk...
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
pmaloney
AF Newbie

that's good info! thank you all.

i might be getting my tie rod done tomorrow, and so maybe I'll print this off and give it to my mechanic.

getting rid of the clunking would be awfully nice!
pmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
DennyD
AF Newbie

Lightbulb A few months of consistent cluncking

I have been having the same clunking in my '98 WS, spoke with my Father (a well versed auto mechanic) and he told me the lower front control arm might be loose, I checked it, it was tight. I had some slack time at work today and found this great website and this item about what sounded just like my "clunk". When I got home I got under there and sure enough the weld is cracked just like you guys have been discussing. (My Dad was close!)

What I'd like to know, if anyone does know, is what, if any other damage will this cause if it's ignored?

Thanks, D
DennyD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar