Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 10:06 PM   #1
Cleek
AF Newbie

Exclamation 96 Windstar Keyless remote

Hi all does anyone know how to program the keyless remotes on my 96 windstar? I have been searching the net with no sucess. I lost 1 remote and purchased one on e-bay.

Thanks Cleek
Cleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 AM   #2
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 Windstar Keyless remote

Hi Cleek, this is verbatim from the '96 OEM manual:
1. Ignition to Run. Momentarily short the two terminals of the program connector taped to the wire assembly and located behind the glove compartment. All doors should lock and then unlock. Remove shorting pin.
2. Press any button on keyless entry remote transmitter. All doors should lock and then unlock to verify the keyless entry remote is programmed. If no response, try again up to three times maximum.
3. Repeat above step to program up to four transmitters.
4.Turn ignition off. All doors should lock, then unlock.
5. Check operation.

Note: All previously programmed keyless entry transmitters are erased during this process, so any you currently have need to be reprogrammed during this process.
busboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:23 PM   #3
meckanec
AF Newbie

Programming 1996 Windstar Keyless Remote

Thanks busboy4, your instructions worked like a charm. I was originally instructed by a couple parts department workers at a Ford dealership to put the key in the ignition, and then turn it to the on position, then off position. I was to do this 5 times, 7 times or 8 times. No one was really sure which but it was supposed to be one of them, then the car was to lock and unlock signifying that it worked. Well, it didn't work. I looked up your suggestion and it work without a hitch.

One thing to note: If you have two or more keyless entry fobs, program them all at the same time.
Also, in order to get to the "two terminals of the program connector taped to the wire assembly and located behind the glove compartment", all you need to do is empty out your glove box, then put each hand on the outside of the open glove box and push inward to allow the glove box to come out further and hang down. In the back towards the right, you should find that program connector. I just used a screwdriver to temorarily short it out. Also, while shorting it out, make sure you let the doors fully lock and then unlock, otherwise you will have to start over.
meckanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
tasteph
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 96 Windstar Keyless remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by busboy4
Hi Cleek, this is verbatim from the '96 OEM manual:
1. Ignition to Run. Momentarily short the two terminals of the program connector taped to the wire assembly and located behind the glove compartment. All doors should lock and then unlock. Remove shorting pin.
2. Press any button on keyless entry remote transmitter. All doors should lock and then unlock to verify the keyless entry remote is programmed. If no response, try again up to three times maximum.
3. Repeat above step to program up to four transmitters.
4.Turn ignition off. All doors should lock, then unlock.
5. Check operation.

Note: All previously programmed keyless entry transmitters are erased during this process, so any you currently have need to be reprogrammed during this process.
Will this work with any '96 Windstar with power locks? If so how long should it take for the doors to lock and then unlock?
tasteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #5
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 96 Windstar Keyless remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteph
Will this work with any '96 Windstar with power locks? If so how long should it take for the doors to lock and then unlock?
I believe it should as it is from the '96 OEM shop manual. Note the previous post that it worked as described. I have actually not needed to do the procedure personnally. I simply copied info from the shop manual. As to how long between lock/unlock I can't say.

Are you having difficulty? Note that the ignition switch stays in Run during the procedure.

Let me know. I can re-look at the book.

Mel
Old 08-26-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
shandre
AF Newbie

How do I know if I have a Keyless Entry

I just purchased a 96 Windstar GL. Just want to ask how do I know if this car is equiped with keyless entry? and I just need to buy the actual remote itself from dealer or ebay.
shandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
jtman04401
AF Newbie

I am in the same boat.. I just purchased a 1995 and it did not come with a key fob.. however the previous owner said they did have on before, but lost it a few years back. I tried the on off 5 times and also shorting out the pins but neither made the doors lock unlock on their own.. So now I am not sure if it has the remote lock or not. I think I have decided to just purchase an aftermarket remote starter with remote door lock feature.
jtman04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #8
garync1
AF Enthusiast

Just a quick note for those who have power locks and not keyless entry or no remotes came with them .Most car audio places sell a system with 2 remotes and simply install it for around 99.00. Check around some may be cheaper or higher. But you must have power door locks on your car or van. Some can install power locks for non power door locks for about 325.00 for 4 doors, cheaper with 2 doors my friend owns a shop and he did a few of my cars that I had in the past. hope this helps. Gary
garync1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #9
crushert
AF Newbie

Does anybody have a picture of what this programming connector looks like? I've tried several different things behind the glove box on both sides and can't get the locks to cycle. I refuse to pay Ford $110 like I did last time to program the ones I bought from them 6 years ago.

Or if you don't have a picture, at least more specific information as to where, what color and what this connector looks like.

The last thing I tried was a gray connector with two posts inside it. There was a wire connected to each post via alligator clips. I removed the clips and reconnected them, but the locks didn't cycle, so I guess that was the wrong thing.

I've had my replacement fob for 8 months now and I'm somewhat miffed that the #@$@# directions weren't any more helpful.
crushert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
PeaceOfMind
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 96 Windstar Keyless remote

You Guys Are THe BOMB!!!! Awesome, I found the connecter and ebays "programing instructions "were waaaaaaaaaaay off .
Right side of the glove box, short w a penny and you know Rite Away!
Just programmed a Lincoln remote and I here the trunk relay working, figure I'll trace it and add an autostart or maybe window roll ups..
I wish I could find the Dang code for the keypad, Dealer says it's in the drivers door . So I'm hanging w/ my door apart But happy about the remote!!!
PeaceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOfMind
You Guys Are THe BOMB!!!! Awesome, I found the connecter and ebays "programing instructions "were waaaaaaaaaaay off .
Right side of the glove box, short w a penny and you know Rite Away!
Just programmed a Lincoln remote and I here the trunk relay working, figure I'll trace it and add an autostart or maybe window roll ups..
I wish I could find the Dang code for the keypad, Dealer says it's in the drivers door . So I'm hanging w/ my door apart But happy about the remote!!!
Hi
regarding the keypad codeull the U shaped cowl at the bottom of the center console. On my '96 the keyless entry module is located near the floor and firewall at the center console, right of center. It has an antenna lead (orange if memory serves) going into it that looks just like the one on the back of your radio/stereo. There is supposed to be a sticker on that module that has the default code. I do not have the keypad, but my module did have a sticker with a 5 digit code on it.

Happy hunting.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushert
Does anybody have a picture of what this programming connector looks like? I've tried several different things behind the glove box on both sides and can't get the locks to cycle. I refuse to pay Ford $110 like I did last time to program the ones I bought from them 6 years ago.

Or if you don't have a picture, at least more specific information as to where, what color and what this connector looks like.

The last thing I tried was a gray connector with two posts inside it. There was a wire connected to each post via alligator clips. I removed the clips and reconnected them, but the locks didn't cycle, so I guess that was the wrong thing.

I've had my replacement fob for 8 months now and I'm somewhat miffed that the #@$@# directions weren't any more helpful.

Hi

If you are still looking, the lead should protrude from a larger wrapped wire bundle near the door pillar side of the glove box opening. On the '96 the wires (2) to the lead should be gray/yellow and white/yellow.

Good luck