Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
scitron
AF Newbie

replacing wiper,washer, signal switch (stalk)

Hello,
The windshield washer, wipers,high beam, turn signal stalk (switch) is on the fritz,can anyone instruct how to replace this switch. I picked one up on EBay.Do I have to remove the air bag, and steering wheel? I have a 1995 Windstar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
scitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Jaerschky
AF Newbie

Re: replacing wiper,washer, signal switch (stalk)

I think that you just need to drop the steering colum cover. I'm just about to head out to do the same thing. I'll let you know how it goes!
Jaerschky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
Jaerschky
AF Newbie

Turned out to be pretty easy. (Mine's a 98, by the way.) You only need to remove the plastic top and bottom covers over the steering colum. There are 3 holes on the bottom cover with recessed phillips head screws. Take out the 3 screws, then unscrew the tilt steering lever by grabbing it and unscrewing counter clockwise. I then removed the metal panel under the steering colum by taking out the 2 5/16" bolts on either end at the bottom of the panel, just for easier access. There seems to be one screw or connector connecting the top and bottom covers at the bottom right rear. With some fiddling, I was able to swing the bottom cover far enough out of the way. I wish I could have gotten the steering column top plastic cover off, because it would make things easier. You need to take out the ignition switch barrell for that, though. With some fiddling, you can now get at the 2 torx head screws that hold the stalk and switch assembly in place. Take them out, and then wiggle the entire assembly out enough so that you can unplug the 2 connectors at the back. You may not need a new switch assembly. I took mine apart, and there was a fair bit of corrosion on the copper contacts inside. I cleaned them up with some 320 grit sandpaper, cleaned everything with spray contact cleaner, and then re-assembled and installed it back into the van. It works great now!! I was having problems with the right turn signal. Sometimes it would work, but more often than not it would make a funny clicking noise and not work. All problems have gone away now. It took me about an hour, including disassmebling and cleaning the switch mechanism. Good Luck with yours!
Jaerschky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
scitron
AF Newbie

Re: Re: replacing wiper,washer, signal switch (stalk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaerschky
Turned out to be pretty easy. (Mine's a 98, by the way.) You only need to remove the plastic top and bottom covers over the steering colum. There are 3 holes on the bottom cover with recessed phillips head screws. Take out the 3 screws, then unscrew the tilt steering lever by grabbing it and unscrewing counter clockwise. I then removed the metal panel under the steering colum by taking out the 2 5/16" bolts on either end at the bottom of the panel, just for easier access. There seems to be one screw or connector connecting the top and bottom covers at the bottom right rear. With some fiddling, I was able to swing the bottom cover far enough out of the way. I wish I could have gotten the steering column top plastic cover off, because it would make things easier. You need to take out the ignition switch barrell for that, though. With some fiddling, you can now get at the 2 torx head screws that hold the stalk and switch assembly in place. Take them out, and then wiggle the entire assembly out enough so that you can unplug the 2 connectors at the back. You may not need a new switch assembly. I took mine apart, and there was a fair bit of corrosion on the copper contacts inside. I cleaned them up with some 320 grit sandpaper, cleaned everything with spray contact cleaner, and then re-assembled and installed it back into the van. It works great now!! I was having problems with the right turn signal. Sometimes it would work, but more often than not it would make a funny clicking noise and not work. All problems have gone away now. It took me about an hour, including disassmebling and cleaning the switch mechanism. Good Luck with yours!
Thank you for your detailed help on installing the wiper, signal assembly. That's exactly what's happening in my 1995 windstar.
scitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
busboy4
AF Enthusiast

FWIW I have had the multi-function switch out of my '96 twice and re-soldered one of the three small wires that run up the arm. The first time only the window washer was inop. The second time, the washer and wiper was inop. In both cases the other components were fine. I guess it was just a case of work-hardening of the wires as they flexed slightly with each use.
I think next time, I'm going with the new switch.
busboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
lapin_windstar
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaerschky
With some fiddling, you can now get at the 2 torx head screws that hold the stalk and switch assembly in place.
You don't, by any weird chance, happen to remember what size torx head it was, do you? I'm probably going to be doing this soon and just wondered what size I need to buy in (I don't have any torx stuff at all). If you don't remember offhand, don't go and look - I'll just do it all on the day. I'll also try to take some photos and put together a little illustrated how-to for future reference.
lapin_windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
lapin_windstar
AF Newbie

If anyone's interested, I think it was a T-20 torx bit.
lapin_windstar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar