Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Stratus
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
niemz26
AF Newbie

Valve Cover Gasket help

Can someone walk me through the replacement of the valve cover gasket on an 01 stratus 2.4L DOHC. i have oil leaking into the spark plugs. Also is there any way to get the oil out of the spark plug well so i it doesn't get into the cylinder???
niemz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
niemz26
AF Newbie

Re: Valve Cover Gasket help

Or, can someone tell me of a good website or book to get the info.....
If any mechanics are here, would you be able to post the Mitchell on-demand instructions???
Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
rustysurfsa
AF Newbie

Very simple job really. First you need to go to autozone, napa, or kragen and get the replacment gasket and some gasket sealer. Remove the vavle cover bolts should be on the corners of the valve cover. After removing clean where the old gasket sat on both the head (engine) and the valve cover. Clean it with a razor blade make sure to get everything off. The surfaces need to be flat. Once they are clean, get you gasket sealer and apply it to the valve cover. Now place the gasket on the valve cover and let it dry a bit. What the sealer does is seal any imperfections on the vavle cover that may leak oil. So after it dries you are going to want to put some more sealer on the head, after it's clean of course. Place the valve cover back on the head. So now it should look the same as you started minus the bolts. Before puting the bolts back in make sure to clean them. You do not want any dirt or grim on the bolts because it can cause you to unknowingly put them in wrong and strip them. Once they are clean screw them in with you hand as far as you can go, make sure they go in with a bit of ease. Now it's time to tighten. Tighten them down softly, if you tighten them too much the gasket will break and there goes all your work. If you have a torque wrench torque to about 13 - 15 ft-lbs. If not that cool just tighten enough, say a quarter turn after it stops spinning with ease. Use fingers strength. You'll know. not to tight not to loose. Now your done go have a beer.
rustysurfsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
niemz26
AF Newbie

thanks for the info. i heard from a guy at firestone that the egr valve is in this area and often comes off with the valve cover. have you ever had that problem???

also, is there any way to get the oil out of the spark plug well so it doesn't go into the cylinder???
Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
rustysurfsa
AF Newbie

I've never had that problem. when I get oil in a well I use my shop vaccum. You can also get it out with compressed air. If not grabe a pencil tape some napkins to the end and let it suck any oil down there, keep changing napkins till no more oil comes out of the well. A little oil in the cylinder wall will not do anything to your car
rustysurfsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
pcjunkie7
AF Newbie

I had this happen to my 98 Stratus V6, but I let the shop handle it. That and a service cost me about $650 along with new wires and plugs.
pcjunkie7 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Stratus