Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose ?
Ferrari Modena 22 55.00%
Porsche 911 Turbo 11 27.50%
Honda NSX 7 17.50%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 03:19 PM   #31
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
Quote:
Originally posted by Miltown_Racer
Does an NSX-R count? If it does, i'll take the NSX-R. The 2002 NSX-R runs 12.8 stock with only 290 HP and some 224 TQ. Not bad for the HP/TQ and for only about 80,000-90,000.
Are you sure about that?
Even in Japan, after the exchange rates, I think it's around 200k Canadian.

But I still take the NSX. Why? Practicality, fun, VTEC, agility, REDlining at 8,000 rpm+ and a whole lot of other stuff.

The Porsche & the Ferrari probably have that too, but to me, Hondas are more fun

Old 01-27-2003, 05:32 PM   #32
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
actually, they do have all that...
both cars have variable timing on the cams, just like vtec, and they have more complicated systems...

the ferrari has as higher or higher redline, and the turbo is up there, 7k or so i think...

they're both agile, fun, and at least the porsche is practical. the nsx isn't really any more practical than the ferrari though...
Old 01-27-2003, 05:42 PM   #33
crayzayjay
CFA

funny you should say that.... NSX, as supercars go is very practical. ok theres not much luggage space but it will start every time and is a doddle to drive in heavy traffic. and when the road opens up...
Old 01-27-2003, 05:55 PM   #34
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

but for that matter... so are the porsche and ferrari...

look at where i live... i wanna drive my car year round...

if it rains, and it does that alot here, i want the porsche. if it snows, i would drive the porsche.

the other 2 are garage babies to a point...

and we all know that none of them would be stock, except the porsche maybe...

i wouldn't really mod it much... (right, that's a lie)

but out of the 3 i would consider it most "practical" for a daily driver car...
Old 01-27-2003, 06:07 PM   #35
crayzayjay
CFA

Absolutely, the 911 is the most practical, im just saying the NSX is also practical, more so than the 360, a big improvement in practicality over the F355... but still not as practical as the Porsche or NSX

and btw, i wouldnt think of touching the 911, and definitely not the Modena. That's sacrilege!

The NSX i would fettle with to my heart's content
Old 01-27-2003, 06:15 PM   #36
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

there's not much to do to a ferrari really... rims and then upgrading to 360 challenge car pieces... hehe

i've seen turbo 911's that have 800hp, so i know that i can go that route...

big rims, bigger brakes, louder exh, bigger turbos...

sky is the limit... RUF style... or Gemballa... hmm...

and the nsx is a nice little starting point for a Wangan mobile...
Old 01-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #37
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
to me, the 996 = king of understeer

but i would still take it over the nsx or the modena, just personal preference i guess

not really a big fan of any of these cars . . . never really thought about spending that much money on a car . . . if i was going to spend such money, i would definitely have a few cars . . . not just ONE
Old 01-27-2003, 06:35 PM   #38
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

where's your info on the understeer come from in the car in question? the 996 turbo (which is awd)...

understeer? i've never read that. i'll admit i've never driven one. i can't imagine it having much understeer, being rear engined and mainly rwd.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #39
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
im not talking about the turbo, i basically said 996

but i remember hearing a while back on af about the handling of the 996, i forgot the driver's name but he was said to have the reputation of never disliking a car, he found the 996 to be leaning towards understeer

i also have never driven a 996, but i think if one was going to buy a porsche, make it a 993 truly a classic car

besides man, havent u ever played GT3 Aspec? check out the handling on that 996 turbo
Old 01-27-2003, 10:20 PM   #40
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
funny you should say that.... NSX, as supercars go is very practical. ok theres not much luggage space but it will start every time and is a doddle to drive in heavy traffic. and when the road opens up...
Reminds me of the episode of Top Gear where Tiff reviews the NSX. He just seems so bored the whole time, lol.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:56 AM   #41
Miltown_Racer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino

Ok stop watching fast and the furious we saw it too. And yes the 360 modena is pretty weak for a drag race but take it on a track and will spank almost anything. Also lets not forget that the modena is most likelly the best aerodynamically corect car in the world.
Nope..haven't been watching F&F at all after i saw it once. I actually saw it... Yep, it's pretty weak alright. Let's see..correct me if i'm wrong, but the ferrari is V8, right? Pretty weak for a V8 don't u think so? The NSX-R is only a V6 and it kicks @ss...looks nice and not to mention, it has a very good aerodynamic too.

Don't get me wrong, i love ferrari's too..I can only hate them because i can't afford them.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:58 AM   #42
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Ok millltown one question how bis is the engine in a NSX-R cuz the one in the modena is only 3.6L that is not a big engine.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 01-28-2003, 02:14 AM   #43
Miltown_Racer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino
Ok millltown one question how bis is the engine in a NSX-R cuz the one in the modena is only 3.6L that is not a big engine.
it's a 3.0 or maybe a 3.2. All i know is that, it isn't bigger than 3.5L.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:14 AM   #44
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Iv been reading this with great interest, and as the only person here who has probobly work on all 3 makes of car I feel obliged to give my opinion.

The Porsche and Ferrari are certianly faster and quite a bit more exotic than the NSX, and although to some it makes them more desirable it is for me a down side to owning them.

I much prefer the simply efficancy of the NSX over the either Ferrari or Porsche, it is IMO a much more refined and practice car to own, while still offering super car styling and performance.

I find Porshes to be excessivly over enginered, while Ferraris under thier sleak sexy bodys are often and ugly mess of hand welded steel frame with thought to maintianing and servicing parts with a short life service life.

The NSX will give years of endless pleasure and service, and run on the smell of an oily rag, while the Porsche will cost rediculas amounts of money to get serviced, and at the end of the day is still just a VW beetle with some great enginering enabling to go around corners. (despite the engine being in the wrong place).
The Ferrari will be the worst of the lot, while a lot more reliable than older cars the new ones are still fiddly to work on, and horrendsly expensive to service.

All 3 cars have thier disadvantages as well as advantages, and IMO its impossible to say one is simply better than the other, it all depends on what you happen to be looking for in a car of this class, as all 3 offer a quite differnt ownership experiance.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:16 PM   #45
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

your OPINION on understeer in the 996 is based on playing a video game and an article... not nearly enough to consider it the king of understeer if you haven't driven one...

the 996 and the turbo are two really different cars...

one has awd. that's a big difference, no? and different tuning and suspension work... so...

if the 996 will understeer, maybe a turbo won't.

and we're talking about a turbo, not a reg. 996.

stay on topic...

i agree with moppie's post... though i've never driven/owned any and never claimed to...