Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Lingenfelter Corvette or Hennessey Viper?
Lingenfelter Corvette 34 70.83%
Hennessey Viper 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 01:40 PM   #76
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon

Those Vipers were not factory backed like the Vettes were. Chrysler stopped that after 1999. You loose a lot when you loose factory backing, namely a lot of money. The S7 was never much of a problem for the Vettes or the Vipers because they were so unreliable they could hardly ever finish races.

I am not saying the Vette is bad, I am just saying that the Viper is better.
But the laptimes show that the C5-R has run faster, also, there's no way the C5-R or GTS-R will ever run with current prototype cars, the field has moved up so much due to the R8's advancement that they're running faster laps then they ever have.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:47 AM   #77
comeon
AF Newbie

Theoretical

Just wanted to point out a few things....

First of all, both of these cars kick major ass! I would love to have either just for the status and recognition, and then I'd go for night rides and probably get lots of tickets and get arrested, but the thrill and adrenaline would be worth it!

Second, keep in mind that the stats that the cars have and the race tests cannot be weighed equally. When you are testing/dynoing a car, you are using a precise machine which is not capable of error (unless its broken). When you are racing/comparing performance you have the inevitable human error. When actually driving a car, the driver is more important than the car itself, of course I mean when the cars are similar in performance and specs. A great example:

A few years ago my friend let me drive his 355 spyder with the f1 racing shift thingy...dont remember the exact name....anyway apparently it is a computerized feature that increases your steering sensitivity when you accelerate over a certain amount of mph/sec. I was aware of that, but had no idea how it felt to drive......long story short, I thought I was cool accelerating onto the freeway, until the car did a full 360 and I almost shit my pants and ruined his brand new ferrari!!! He took over and drove it perfectly and we hit over 145 mph in what seemed like a heartbeat. Kinda a simplified example, but the point is...I would lose a race in his ferrari against any car, cuz I can't drive it. He could likely beat most cars since he is a racecar driver. You get the idea. Likelihood to spinout is not dependent on the car as much as the driver. Handling is more objective, but some aspects of it are how it feels to the driver and if you are used to a certain car, a "great" handling car that is different may feel as if it will roll or spin out to you personally since you are used to a different feel.

Bottom line, both cars are incredible, if unreliable (not meant for 20,000 miles per year anyway). Both cars have awesome specs. Some tests have shown the viper to be dominant, some have shown the vette to be dominant. Who the hell knows....the question was just which we liked better anyway.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:50 PM   #78
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
bullshit.........that F1 shifting thingy is a sequential transmision....has nothing to do with steering and second when a car goes faster (if it has spedd adaptive steering) the car will help you less to steer not more otherwise you'll kill yourself.....

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 06-06-2003, 09:43 PM   #79
comeon
AF Newbie

Well...whatever its called

Well, as I mentioned, I don't know what it's called, but whatever it was, I spun out. It's not like I'm bragging, I sucked at driving it. It was just an example. So.....chill.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:29 AM   #80
ghostchild316
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ghostchild316
I sat here and read every single post since the first one.

Whatever...

I like the Corvette.Vipers are still cool though...

I think vettes look similiar to my 240
Old 06-09-2003, 09:24 AM   #81
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
in regards to the 355 ferrari bs story.

alot of cars have computer controlled power steering that gets more sensitive at speed. so it's true. but it's got nothing to do with the tranny.

i'm sure glad this thread got way the F off topic...
Old 08-06-2003, 08:32 PM   #82
cartz69
AF Newbie

lingenfelter vs henessey

they did not use an engine from another type of car it was a Corvette C5R engine with twin garrett turbos. it doesnt matterif they bored it out because the viper still has a 1 litre and 2 cylinder advantage, so why would doge up the displacement to 9.3 litres? and the viper and the corvette both used the same mickey thompson slicks, so how does the corvette have an unfair advantage in any way? don t get me wrong i love the venom but the corvette is still king
Old 08-23-2003, 10:56 AM   #83
Tim_2133
AF Newbie

Re: Lingenfelter Corvette vs. Hennessey Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10_viper
The Viper did it's tests on Street Legal Slicks and I'm pretty sure the Vette's weren't Street Legal and and the Vipers engine, they never changed anything to it except for the mods, the Lingenfelter is a 7.0 liter V-8 TT, where did they get that 7.0 Litre at??? it didn't come stock in the corvettes engine, they never bumped the litres up on the Viper's Engine, so it must not be a Corvette engine under there. If they would have left the 5.7 under there i bet the Vette wouldn't be as good as it is. or leave the vette with it's, well i guess it wasn't the vette's engine but how bout ya bump the viper up 1.3 litres so ya have a 9.3 litre engine and then put the twin turbos on it and see who goes quicker.
Ok, first of all the Lingenfelter does have the original engine in it. It is the Gen III LS block. The same block is used for LS1s and LS6s in Z28s, Trans Ams, and Corvettes. They bore and stroke the block to 427 cu. in. I like both cars, but your comments are pretty foolish. A stock Z06 corvette has the stock 5.7 liter engine, 415 hp (enough power to pull less than a 4.5 second 0-60), and the right tires/suspension setup to pull a solid 1.00 lateral g's on the skid pad. The stock viper has a 8.0 liter engine that produces 500 hp on the new ones I believe, and a very good tire suspension setup that pulls a slightly faster 0-60 time, and a slightly worse skid pad reading. The thing is, the viper engine is only making 62.5 hp per liter and the vette is making almost 73 hp/liter. The viper also costs 25-30K more than the vette. But aside from all that, these are aftermarket cars, who cares what it takes to get them there. They cost almost the same amount maybe because the initial 30K difference is spent on boring/stroking the stock 5.7 liter engine. Regardless, the cars perform very similar, but most of the tests I have seen favor the vette. Don't say something like "where did they get that 7.0 L engine, it's not stock" While it isn't the stock block setup, it is still the same block, not an exotic racing block or anything. Did you know they even using the same block in the C5R le mans race car??
Old 08-23-2003, 11:30 AM   #84
Tim_2133
AF Newbie

I know I just posted, but I went back through and read every post. Here is what people are arguing. First of all people are comparing the C5R and the GTS-R. You think those carshave hardly anything to do with stock vipers, vettes? They have the same basic chassis and same basic engine blocks, but I mean, they are race prepped. Your stock viper/vette cannot be made into a god becuase it's racing cousin beat the other guys. You say things like, well the motors will never last over 10,000 miles becuase in racing they rebuild almost every race. So? The setup is totally different! The bolcks may be the same, but other than that, there is a lot of difference. Also the race cars are designed to run redline for a very long period of time. I don't think anyone buying a ligenfelter or a hennessey would or could put the same abuse on it that these race teams put on there cars.
Secondly, I've heard arguing like oh well since the viper has traction issues it just can't put it's potential power to the ground but it's still a better car. WTF? If it has traction issues, maybe the factory should have worked that out, having problems makes the car suck. If I took a 7,000 hp top fuel motor and put it in a viper it would run awful on the street never be able to get traction, break all the driveline components and probably not even get moving, but hell it's still a better car right? Haha, wether or not a car is better than another means all things must be considered, traction included. Another guy said, well Chrysler doesn't back the viper anymore like Chevy backs the vette. So? If they don't back them, that sucks for vipers. If the viper can't overcome that then the viper sucks. When you compare two cars you just look at their performance in all aspects, their reliability, and maybe their pricing. You don't give them handicaps like, the factory doesn't support their racing team anymore, or they won le mans three years ago so they are still better, or they just can't hook up the car but it could be faster.
Just look at the numbers they lay down, faster numbers in my experience means that car is faster. I give mad respect to vipers and vettes, but I can't afford either of them right now. I am not biased at all. But I know the ligenfelter vette has put down some of the best 1/4 mile times for the price of any street car, even though it was on MT ET streets or slicks. The Hennessey viper is right there with it, but the vette is beating it out right now. I wouldn't mind owning either car though. And if it was time for me to buy one, I wouldn't instantly say the vette wins. I'd look into all aspects of the cars. But as far as performance, numbers don't lie. Sure there is human error, but many of the same magazines have tested both these cars, and to my knowledge the vette still comes out on top.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:48 PM   #85
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Re: Re: Lingenfelter Corvette vs. Hennessey Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_2133
A stock Z06 corvette has the stock 5.7 liter engine, 415 hp (enough power to pull less than a 4.5 second 0-60), and the right tires/suspension setup to pull a solid 1.00 lateral g's on the skid pad. The stock viper has a 8.0 liter engine that produces 500 hp on the new ones I believe, and a very good tire suspension setup that pulls a slightly faster 0-60 time, and a slightly worse skid pad reading.
Stock ZO6 engine is 405 horsepower. The 1st and 2nd Generation engines were 8.0 litre/488cid. The new ones are 8.3 litre/505cid which make 500 hp and 525 lb-ft torque, with simple cam adjustment the CC got 520 hp. Slightly worse skidpad reading huh?? Do your homework, in fact, go pick up the June issue of Motor Trend, they had a professional driver, Justin Bell, new Viper pulled 1.05 g and the ZO6 only pulled .99, 0-60 Viper took 3.94, the ZO6 needed 4.29 seconds, then the 1/4 mile the Viper ran a 11.77, ZO6 ran 12.44, I don't think we want to even talk about braking distances, Viper set records there man.

Btw...Way to bring back an old thread...

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:41 PM   #86
Tim_2133
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Lingenfelter Corvette vs. Hennessey Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10_viper
Stock ZO6 engine is 405 horsepower. The 1st and 2nd Generation engines were 8.0 litre/488cid. The new ones are 8.3 litre/505cid which make 500 hp and 525 lb-ft torque, with simple cam adjustment the CC got 520 hp. Slightly worse skidpad reading huh?? Do your homework, in fact, go pick up the June issue of Motor Trend, they had a professional driver, Justin Bell, new Viper pulled 1.05 g and the ZO6 only pulled .99, 0-60 Viper took 3.94, the ZO6 needed 4.29 seconds, then the 1/4 mile the Viper ran a 11.77, ZO6 ran 12.44, I don't think we want to even talk about braking distances, Viper set records there man.

Btw...Way to bring back an old thread...
You're correct on the Z06 power rating, that was my mistake, I accidently put in the wrong number, but it is 405. But you start talking about comparing the cars again and then go to say, "with a simple cam adjustment" I wouldn't know for sure since I've never actually looked into it, but I'd be willing to bet if I took the ~$25-$30K I would save getting a Z06 and then invest that into head porting and cam, better/wider tires (afterall the viper has 345 pilot sports if I'm not mistaken while the vette has I think 295 maybe 305), and some braking upgrades (rotors,pads,lines) then the Z06 would be totally even to the viper, maybe a little better, maybe not. The point is stock for stock, viper wins hands down. It pulls better times in all categories. But there is the price difference. You shouldn't be comparing cars with around $30,000 price difference. And if you do, you should alot the less expensive car some modification to put it in the same price range. Both cars are very good platforms for any type of racing application. The average joe would generally prefer the Z06 since the average joe could probably pull faster lap times, equal e/ts, and have more fun driving the Z06 than the viper. Not to say a well seasoned driver couldn't dominate all those categories with the viper. Wasn't this thread about the lingenfelter and the hennessey though. Who cares about the Z06 and the Viper, they both fill their niche in the sports car market. Z06 for the average joe who wants a fast, fun car in the $45,000-$50,000 range and the Viper for someone who really wants to stand out and have the extra edge on performance while not minding to spend the extra cash.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:08 PM   #87
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Tim don't go calling people foolish when you're guilty of the same thing. You are VERY misinformed.

1. The Lingenfelter may have the same block, but it isn't the same engine. They have bored it out, that is a huge modification. There is little difference between boring out the existing engine and dropping and a 427 V8. Regardless it is a bigger engine.

2. Who cares about HP per liter? I don't, it makes no damn difference. What matters is which is putting more power to the ground and that would be the SRT-10.

3. The Viper costs $30,000 more because it is an exotic. It is hand built. You hardly see them driving around because of limited production. You are paying for exclusivity. You're also paying for a nicer interior. You are also paying for a better performing car in every way. Also this is only the convertible Viper, just wait until the Viper coupe comes out. Also the price debate is such bullshit. I can buy a Honda and put the $40,000 I saved from not buying the Z06 and beat the shit out of it. It is a stupid point.

4. We never stated that the C5R and GTS-R had anything to do with the street versions. It is called we were debating which of the two was better. Don't try to make us look stupid because you missed the point of our posts.

5. The Viper does not have traction issues. It had a higher slalom speed and did better on the skid pad than the Z06. If you are talking about while drag racing then you don't know much about street tires. No car with street tires will get good traction while drag racing unless they don't have enough power to break the traction. Also the Viper was never intended to be a drag racer. It is a track car. I wish some of you would get that through your head.

6. Of course if you put a Top Fuel Hemi in a Viper it would tear up the stock gearbox and not get any traction. Do you think you are smart for pointing out the painfully obvious? No production car gearbox could handle that power at idle and no car would get traction either.

7. I was the one that said Chrysler pulled factory backing of the GTS-R. I don't think you understand how important factory backing is. They supply the majority of the money. I also don't think you understand how important money is to a racing team. They no longer race the GTS-R in LeMans. The GTS-R was restricted by the officials because they were even beating the prototypes. So the two combined killed the GTS-R.

8. To repeat V10 Viper:

Do your homework, in fact, go pick up the June issue of Motor Trend, they had a professional driver, Justin Bell, new Viper pulled 1.05 g and the ZO6 only pulled .99, 0-60 Viper took 3.94, the ZO6 needed 4.29 seconds, then the 1/4 mile the Viper ran a 11.77, ZO6 ran 12.44, I don't think we want to even talk about braking distances, Viper set records there man.

I will tell you that the Viper stopped from 100MPH to 0MPH in less than 100 feet. They have NEVER tested any car that stopped that quickly.

I will say that the Lingenfelter Vette is far better than the Hennessy Viper because Hennessy is a crook and doesn't know the first thing about modifying car.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:32 PM   #88
Tim_2133
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Tim don't go calling people foolish when you're guilty of the same thing. You are VERY misinformed.

1. The Lingenfelter may have the same block, but it isn't the same engine. They have bored it out, that is a huge modification. There is little difference between boring out the existing engine and dropping and a 427 V8. Regardless it is a bigger engine.
That was my whole point. I never claimed it was the same engine, just the same block. People were making it sound like lingenfelter dropped an exotic racing engine into the corvette that was totally unrelated to the stock engine. It is the same block design, bored and stroked to a larger displacement with aftermarket cylinder linings. Boring an engine is a big modification, I never said it wasn't. My point was the C5R motor is derived from the LS engines.

Quote:
2. Who cares about HP per liter? I don't, it makes no damn difference. What matters is which is putting more power to the ground and that would be the SRT-10.
I don't really care either but V10_viper said, "if they bump the viper up the same displacement that they bumped the vette up, then it would totally destroy the vette." My point was that the vette makes it's power with superior engine design, while the viper makes it's power with raw displacement. I don't have anything against that, but how else would the lingenfelter and the hennessey put down similar numbers while the vette has 1.6 liters less than the viper? The engine is more well designed. It does have less overall potential becuase of it's smaller displacement though. I don't care if a 628 cu in BBC kicks a 2.0 L honda, it still won right? My point was that V10_viper should not try to give the viper a handicap becuase it didn't get a displacement boost. So don't we agree here?

Quote:
3. The Viper costs $30,000 more because it is an exotic. It is hand built. You hardly see them driving around because of limited production. You are paying for exclusivity. You're also paying for a nicer interior. You are also paying for a better performing car in every way. Also this is only the convertible Viper, just wait until the Viper coupe comes out. Also the price debate is such bullshit. I can buy a Honda and put the $40,000 I saved from not buying the Z06 and beat the shit out of it. It is a stupid point.
Frankly I don't care what you are paying for, with the left over money I could have a Z06 that would definitely be right on par with a Viper performance wise. I never said it would have the same rarity or the same interior. I said it could perform similarly. And I think a honda is little far from our comparison. Vettes and vipers are similar cars, a honda is a whole different animal. If you are not considering price, then like I always said, the viper wins hands down.

Quote:
4. We never stated that the C5R and GTS-R had anything to do with the street versions. It is called we were debating which of the two was better. Don't try to make us look stupid because you missed the point of our posts.
I thought the point of this arguement was whether a lingenfelter vette was better than a hennessey viper not which car had a better racing team. People were making relationships between the racing cars and their platforms, maybe you weren't, but others were.

Quote:
5. The Viper does not have traction issues. It had a higher slalom speed and did better on the skid pad than the Z06. If you are talking about while drag racing then you don't know much about street tires. No car with street tires will get good traction while drag racing unless they don't have enough power to break the traction. Also the Viper was never intended to be a drag racer. It is a track car. I wish some of you would get that through your head.
V10_viper stated, "well with as much horsepower as the Viper has it is hard to get grip, go to any thread about the Vipers performance and you'll find issues about traction." Don't tell me the viper doesn't have traction issues tell your fellow viper enthusiast. I'm sure the viper was never solely intended to be a track car. Of course is does very well as a track car, but I have a feeling that its designers thought a time or two about straight line acceleration, which is strikingly similar to drag racing. And the viper does have better traction than the Z06 mainly becuase of tire size and compound even though they both have street tires.

Quote:
6. Of course if you put a Top Fuel Hemi in a Viper it would tear up the stock gearbox and not get any traction. Do you think you are smart for pointing out the painfully obvious? No production car gearbox could handle that power at idle and no car would get traction either.
My point was reagrding V10_viper's comment on traction. He wanted special consideration for the viper becuase he said it had too much power to get good traction. All I was saying is that you can't say your car is better becuase it has more power. It has to put the power to the ground and get the car moving. You are now telling me the viper had no traction issues, so it sounds like it is irrelevant anyway.

Quote:
7. I was the one that said Chrysler pulled factory backing of the GTS-R. I don't think you understand how important factory backing is. They supply the majority of the money. I also don't think you understand how important money is to a racing team. They no longer race the GTS-R in LeMans. The GTS-R was restricted by the officials because they were even beating the prototypes. So the two combined killed the GTS-R.
I know how important factory backing is to a race team. But if the team looses money and they can't develop means of making the car faster, oh well. It sucks for them and it is much harder for them to compete, but if you lose you lose. I could compare build a car and try to compete with it in the Le Mans. I'm sure it would be slow as hell and break before the first lap. Does that make it faster than the vette just becuase I didn't have the same financial backing, no. I don't follow racing very much, but I don't know if they would restrict a car just becuase it is fast. If it used illegal means of being faster maybe. But I don't know so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

Quote:
8. To repeat V10 Viper:

Do your homework, in fact, go pick up the June issue of Motor Trend, they had a professional driver, Justin Bell, new Viper pulled 1.05 g and the ZO6 only pulled .99, 0-60 Viper took 3.94, the ZO6 needed 4.29 seconds, then the 1/4 mile the Viper ran a 11.77, ZO6 ran 12.44, I don't think we want to even talk about braking distances, Viper set records there man.
Great, I knew that. Like I said more than once, stock for stock, the viper wins.

Quote:
I will tell you that the Viper stopped from 100MPH to 0MPH in less than 100 feet. They have NEVER tested any car that stopped that quickly.
I don't think I ever said the vette could stop faster than the viper, but if I did I was probably refferring to the hennessey and the lingenfelter.

I will say that the Lingenfelter Vette is far better than the Hennessy Viper because Hennessy is a crook and doesn't know the first thing about modifying car.[/quote]

Not to mention the fact that the Lingenfelter vette pulls better times!!!

I made a few misinformed comments, I apologize. But now with all the info I still say the viper will outpreform the vette in every criteria in stock trim. But with the money you save getting a vette, you could definitely get it to perform very close if not equally well to the stock viper.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:55 PM   #89
TwinTurbo427S10
AF Newbie

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but the Viper's least best at the 1/4 mile. The Z06 is more forgiving, but the Viper is a track car. It is hard to handle but in the hands of an experienced driver it will thrash a Vette in the twisties.

I don't get why people think that the Viper can't handle. As for Motor Trend, they have a bias against Chrysler and always have. They hardly have any good articles on Mopars. And any magazine that would give the Chevy Avalanche the truck of the year over the new Ram last year is STUPID. If you're going to be a magazine ricer, you should at least get a better magazine.
I work at a transmission shop and Chrysler=JOB SECURITY!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:31 AM   #90
Vettribution
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Vettribution Send a message via Yahoo to Vettribution
Since the talk all went to the Z06 vs Viper.. One of you said.. Wait for the coupe Viper.... I say... Wait for the C6... Ive seen things said such as... 500HP <on a lighter, better handling car than the viper if the car even resembles the current car... HAHA bye bye vipey> not to mention ive seen 1.101 ! as G's. I am sorry. But if it remains in the same price range, while the viper keeps near the 100k mark. Its not even a contest. (Oh and I'd love to see someone actually get one of them Vipers cheap... Dealer markups are insane everywhere Ive seen them... usually 90k plus...but that could be regional <shrug>)

Also if I remember correctly.. The Hennessey vs Lingenfelter was the older 650 HP Lingenfelter, and not the 1.97 Second 0-60 Moving beast. Also as far as "super tuners" One of them magazines even did a comparison.. and that was also the watered down version of Lingenfelter..and it wiped the floor with everything. Its not a matter of fact anymore. Viper people cant accept the fact that 30k isnt worth .1 second. Or .3 or so if you have a bad Vette. Either way.. the vette is just a better peice of machine to work with.. Its just got the "i see it too often" problem.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons