Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Lingenfelter Corvette or Hennessey Viper?
Lingenfelter Corvette 34 70.83%
Hennessey Viper 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 06:36 PM   #61
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
actually, audi's 1.8t motor does... but hey...
Old 05-15-2003, 06:37 PM   #62
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Quote:
well with as much horsepower as the Viper has it is hard to get grip, go to any thread about the Vipers performance and you'll find issues about traction, shoulda thought about that before you said it didn't make sense
for the price, it shouldn't make sense.

if you gave a vette 100 more hp, it would be much quicker than the viper. end of story.

for that extra 30-40k, you'd think they'd sort the traction issues out as well.

and i'm not putting the viper down, just pointing out the obvious...

and yeah, for the "bang for the buck", the vette wins, hands down, stock and other wise...
Old 05-15-2003, 07:48 PM   #63
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Quote:
Originally posted by flylwsi

for the price, it shouldn't make sense.

if you gave a vette 100 more hp, it would be much quicker than the viper. end of story.

for that extra 30-40k, you'd think they'd sort the traction issues out as well.

and i'm not putting the viper down, just pointing out the obvious...

and yeah, for the "bang for the buck", the vette wins, hands down, stock and other wise...
Yeah, when it's almost twice the price it doesn't make much sense, but the Viper is hand assembled, the process in which they make the body panels is almost perfect, but i dont see why that costs 40 more grand but your also buying a name, and a breed of legends behind it's skin. and actually, the Guldstrand Vette has as much power as the new Vipers, and it is nowhere near as quick for some reason. And with a solid rear axle it'd hook up better but have worse handlin performance. Glad to here your not putting it down, if i came on a little strong before i'm sorry, i just thought you were one of those guys that didn't like the Viper cuz it's too big and heavy and that, although it could drop 300-400 lbs, it's still a damn good car considering what cars weigh nowdays.

Quote:
actually, audi's 1.8t motor does... but hey...
haha alright, but i dont think it's in the same league as the Viper. I know there are a few other cars out there probably as well, but, I dont think they're near the Vipers performance either.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:26 PM   #64
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by v10_viper
they never did any boring out of the corvette engine, they put a custom engine in it and took the 5.7 litre out, the viper kept it's own engine in there. Compare the Lingenfelter to the SVS Stryker Twin Turbo and see who is better than. and i'll bet that the Viper beat the Vette on a road course anytime.
No way, Viper's , in any comparable, form cannot beat a Corvette in handling. That's just a damn fact.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:01 PM   #65
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by Pick

No way, Viper's , in any comparable, form cannot beat a Corvette in handling. That's just a damn fact.
Oh yeah? Where did you find this "fact" out? I hate to tell you but the Viper was designed as a track car. It is one of their strongest attributes. They are not the 1/4 mile beasts that people make them out to be. They don't have a solid rear axle and that tends to dampen things some. It is simply fast down the 1/4 mile because it has loads of power.

I would bet money that if you took an experienced driver and had them run the Viper GTS, GT2, or ACR and the Z06 against each other their times would be better in the Viper. Proof of that is the fact that in 1998 the Viper GTS-R dominated LeMans. They even managed to beat the prototype class cars in some races. The Vettes haven't managed to do that.

It is not a damn fact, what you said was your opinion, don't get the two confused.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #66
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon

Oh yeah? Where did you find this "fact" out? I hate to tell you but the Viper was designed as a track car. It is one of their strongest attributes. They are not the 1/4 mile beasts that people make them out to be. They don't have a solid rear axle and that tends to dampen things some. It is simply fast down the 1/4 mile because it has loads of power.

I would bet money that if you took an experienced driver and had them run the Viper GTS, GT2, or ACR and the Z06 against each other their times would be better in the Viper. Proof of that is the fact that in 1998 the Viper GTS-R dominated LeMans. They even managed to beat the prototype class cars in some races. The Vettes haven't managed to do that.

It is not a damn fact, what you said was your opinion, don't get the two confused.
It has been proven over and over again that the Z-06 can handle much beter than the Viper. You may disagree, and I can see why. I never said the Viper can't handle, it just can't handle aws well as a Corvette that is comparable to the Viper. I think that it is largely due to, as you mentioned, the massive power of the Viper. It slides all over the track and has massive torque steer. It may be a road beast, but I just don't see it as a track beast like a Corvetter is.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:32 PM   #67
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

that made a little more sense... that the viper can't compare in handling compared to a zo6. why didn't you say that first?

Quote:
haha alright, but i dont think it's in the same league as the Viper. I know there are a few other cars out there probably as well, but, I dont think they're near the Vipers performance either.
for less money than a viper, i could have an audi a4 1.8t that outhandles the viper, and is faster, consistently...

so it's possible...

and i'm not a viper hater, just a realist. i think with logic, not opinion...
Old 05-17-2003, 07:10 PM   #68
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:

Acutally, the C5-R has taken the GTS class for 2 years in a row, the last one finishing 1-2, the year efore was 1-3 i believe, the prodrive ferraris were in third i believe, so the viper didnt even get a <4 finish.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:54 PM   #69
BigJustinZ28
AF Enthusiast

I think this is all a big fanboy fair , admit it. I cant afford either so I'll keep my 'maro. And yes I like chevy's and I'd take the vette z06(stock) in a heartbeat, if I had to pay for it. If I could have either for free, Id take a viper (stock) because I know I could never afford one and they are every bit as beautiful as a vette and they are a beast as well they are also very rare around these parts.

1997 Camaro Z28 = LT1 w/ LT4 Conversion w/ Hot Cam
52mm T/B , SLP CAI , SLP Shorties .Eibach Springs, KYB GA Shocks.
SS Hood , Suncoast Creations Spoiler , F1 Camaro Wheels.
30th Ann. Style White with Orange Stripes.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:14 AM   #70
Polygon
The Red Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1

Acutally, the C5-R has taken the GTS class for 2 years in a row, the last one finishing 1-2, the year efore was 1-3 i believe, the prodrive ferraris were in third i believe, so the viper didnt even get a <4 finish.
Well, the GTS-R hasn't been racing in the GTS class for over two years now. Some people race Vipers but they aren't the Rs, and they aren't factory backed. If the GTS-R were to come back, the C5-R wouldn't stand a chance. I haven't seen the C5-R beating out the prototype class like the Vipers did in 1998.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:36 PM   #71
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:

I think that it is largely due to, as you mentioned, the massive power of the Viper. It slides all over the track and has massive torque steer. It may be a road beast, but I just don't see it as a track beast like a Corvetter is.

I'm sorry pick but you just made a major error..... torque steer on a viper. I guess you are refering to the limited edition FWD viper.....that I just made up....please look up in the dictionary under torque steer.....my FWD cougar has torque steer....the viper is RWD.

I can't belive nobody yet saw that...

Quote:

for less money than a viper, i could have an audi a4 1.8t that outhandles the viper, and is faster, consistently...

so it's possible...

and i'm not a viper hater, just a realist. i think with logic, not opinion...
i really would not go that far.as to say that the a4 can outhandle the viper...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Last edited by Neutrino; 05-24-2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:51 PM   #72
Pick
AF Fanatic

I'm sorry pick but you just made a major error..... torque steer on a viper. I guess you are refering to the limited edition FWD viper.....that I just made up....please look up in the dictionary under torque steer.....my FWD cougar has torque steer....the viper is RWD.

I can't belive nobody yet saw that...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my fault, I meant the wheelspin and overpowering of the tires on the Viper.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:57 PM   #73
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:

That's my fault, I meant the wheelspin and overpowering of the tires on the Viper.
i know what you mean and under the hands of an amateur that would certainly be a problem even though traction control can help a lot...but for a profesional driver that would be less of an issue.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 05-24-2003, 12:14 AM   #74
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:

Well, the GTS-R hasn't been racing in the GTS class for over two years now. Some people race Vipers but they aren't the Rs, and they aren't factory backed. If the GTS-R were to come back, the C5-R wouldn't stand a chance. I haven't seen the C5-R beating out the prototype class like the Vipers did in 1998.
the R's were around when the first C5-R's came out, they did just fine against them, in fact the C5-R has already put down lap records the GTS-R couldn't run, the 2 cars are very evenly matched, but dodge would have to beat saleen and then prodrive in order to start touching the C5-R's laptimes. the viper can come back if it likes anyway, the C6 chassis will be out soon, lighter, stiffer and with better suspension geometry, the field is going to get very interesting, especially if you like corvettes winning
Old 05-24-2003, 11:16 AM   #75
Polygon
The Red Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1

the R's were around when the first C5-R's came out, they did just fine against them, in fact the C5-R has already put down lap records the GTS-R couldn't run, the 2 cars are very evenly matched, but dodge would have to beat saleen and then prodrive in order to start touching the C5-R's laptimes. the viper can come back if it likes anyway, the C6 chassis will be out soon, lighter, stiffer and with better suspension geometry, the field is going to get very interesting, especially if you like corvettes winning
Those Vipers were not factory backed like the Vettes were. Chrysler stopped that after 1999. You loose a lot when you loose factory backing, namely a lot of money. The S7 was never much of a problem for the Vettes or the Vipers because they were so unreliable they could hardly ever finish races.

I am not saying the Vette is bad, I am just saying that the Viper is better.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons