Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:57 PM   #1
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
My New Z!!!

hey guys,
i just bought a 1986 300zx n/a 2 seater that needs a little work and some TLC but it definitely has potential. the car is not running right now due to lack of power, i will explain later. but the body is wonderful condition. 2 small dents and some paint chipping off the rear bumper where some idiot had pushed it with his truck. no rust and very solid. oh well....i only paid $75 for it so i say its not bad. the guy just wanted to get it out of his driveway because his son had hauled it from mississippi but never came and got it from his house. i have known the guy my whole life too....soo he was just like. whats in your pocket. i said $75. he said, its yours. i almost pissed my pants.

now for the bad news. its not running. reason...i put a fresh battery in it and it has NO power whats so ever like the battery cable isnt even hooked up. no lights, no beaping, no sounds, nothing. im thinking there is a wire cut inhalf somewhere or the ignition may not be recognizing that i am turning the key to on. i dont know. im clueless. i have a Hayne's book and it is very helpful but i cant find anything about this. what do you guys think could be the problem area?

nah....i have 2 z's suckers. yeah its good to be me sometimes.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
tortzorz
AF Regular

Re: My New Z!!!

LOL i think ur z32 is better ;p
Old 11-02-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

id hope so....i paid about 73.33 times more for my z32.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-02-2004, 01:55 AM   #4
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Why does it have rope hanging from its butt?

Oh and check the fuse box.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:08 AM   #5
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

i dont know...the rope is removed. and the fuse box has been checked. is there anyway to tell if the relay's or fuse links are bad? im thinking it is either that or a shorted main power wire...im lost on this one. it has got to be fixable. im telling you, there is no power what-so-ever. never seen anything like it.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-02-2004, 02:11 AM   #6
E Honda
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to E Honda
K3 Where are you from?............I read your new z was brought from Mississippi........I am in Mississippi......You still wanting this turbo stuff?.....I might not be around here much longer. Hoping to get a pretty good size settlement from a very large fortune 500 company.

Can you say Ferarri 550.........

Is your ecu plugged in?......

Is it possible the previous owner has a cuttoff switch somewhere killing all power from the battery?........Theft deterent?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:13 AM   #7
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Best way is to use a multimeter if you have one, I suggest you get one if you don't, considering you can pick up a decently functional piece for $20. Anyway, start going down the box checking the connections. Also, check the ground from the battery.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:26 AM   #8
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Honda
K3 Where are you from?............I read your new z was brought from Mississippi........I am in Mississippi......You still wanting this turbo stuff?.....I might not be around here much longer. Hoping to get a pretty good size settlement from a very large fortune 500 company.

Can you say Ferarri 550.........

Is your ecu plugged in?......

Is it possible the previous owner has a cuttoff switch somewhere killing all power from the battery?........Theft deterent?
im from illinois, but the car was brought here from mississippi from the son of the guy i bought the car off of. its still got the mississippi sand in the wheel wells.

im still interested in the turbo stuff but i probably wont be able to buy it for a little while. got to get my winter car up and running first. its possible that there could be a switch or something but i havent came across anything. i damn near got the whole dash apart looking for any wires that are cut or fried to the ignition or soemthing.

broke: i re-did the main ground wire and main power wire so i dont think it is the connnection. fuse panel looks good but i have a feeling its a main relay or fuse link. maybe a main powwer wire in the harness or somthing. i was planning on going out and getting a tester tomorrow. i was just getting ideas and possibilities and see if anyone had anything else that i couldnt think of.

BTW: where is the ECU at on the z31's??? same place as on the z32's??? i'll check that first thing tomorrow morning.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-02-2004, 06:40 AM   #9
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i wish i could get a z31 for cheap. i'm jealous. good luck fixing the power thing, electircal problems are the worst.

-Jared

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:55 AM   #10
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

COOL! Do a 200ZR conversion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

lol....yeah...maybe in the future. my first project is this damn TT swap then I will be looking to do the RB swap in the z31. i will have to see how everything goes.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #12
JCCR
AF Enthusiast

i wish i could find a deal like that! i tought about buying a z31 and found one for about $2500
JCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:06 PM   #13
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

sweet freakin deal k3... how many miles on her? and what happened to that wheel cap on the front tire there? might have something to do with the alarm or something.... i know it has a cutoff on it if the alarm has been set off.... maybe try testing the horn because the alarm could have been stuck on so whoever had it last might have disconnected it.. just a theory.
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:54 PM   #14
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

i tested alot of stuff this morning. it seems that the whole fuse box and everything in the interior is not getting any kind of juice. so im thinking there has to be something in the engine bay. i was looking at my hayne's and they have a nice little wiring diagram. well it says there is a main circuti breaker that the main engine harness runs through before it gets to the engine bay. does anyone know where this breaker is??? it doesnt say in the book, it just says its there.

BTW: the dash says 116,000 miles
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 11-02-2004, 05:34 PM   #15
JCCR
AF Enthusiast

good luck with your new project!
JCCR is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)