Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Slime0
AF Newbie

I need help picking a new car.

Hi, I'm new here. My car was recently stolen and I'm looking to buy a new one rather quickly. I have my eye on a few, but I'm not much of a car person and I could use some advice.

Here's what's important to me in a car:

- Something that will impress the ladies. I don't mind showing off a bit.
- Minimal hassle. I don't want to *worry* about maintenance. I don't want to pay a lot when it is needed.
- I'm torn between wanting something fast and fun, and something simpler and more practical. I could go either way.

As far as price goes, I don't mind buying something expensive, but like I said I want to minimize long term costs down the road.

I have my eye on these:

- Nissan 370Z / Infiniti G37. These seem very similar to me. The 370Z looks more sporty and the G37 slightly more comfortable, so I think I'm leaning toward the latter. I feel like it strikes a decent balance between power and luxury. Tell me if you disagree.

- Lexus IS. From what I can tell this is definitely more on the luxury side and less powerful, but I like the higher MPG and I've heard Lexus is more dependable. On the other hand, it seems a little boring; I'm less excited about it aesthetically.

- BMW Z4. This is a lot more expensive, but I had to admit it was very fun to test drive. I'm worried this is less practical and a higher risk for maintenance costs down the road when the warranty runs out, but I don't know to what extent this is true and I would like to hear from people who have more knowledge and experience with BMW.

I'm also totally willing to consider other cars. This is a sample of what I've managed to find in only a week and a half, so I welcome any other suggestions. I would like to hear why you think I should or shouldn't buy any of these.

Thanks for your help.
Slime0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: I need help picking a new car.

My first car was an Infiniti G20 so I'm partial... but Infiniti maintenance is NOT cheap. Even buying the parts so my dad and I could fix it was expensive. Whenever I could, I'd buy the Nissan parts if they were interchangeable, but I don't know how many swappable parts the G37 has anymore.

Lexus IS is a nice looking ride, but again, maintenance won't be cheap because it's Toyota luxury...

BMW maintenance has always kept me from even looking at BMW cars. They're nice looking rides, and do have lots of spiffy features, but I surely wouldn't want to pay the repair bill.

Okay, so I realize that wasn't very definitive, but I hope it at least gave you a tiny bit of direction.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Repossessed Cars
AF Newbie

Maintenance for any of those cars probably won't be cheap but all round I would say the Nissan 370Z. Find a girl who likes you for you and not your car...
Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
pjaybeetle
AF Newbie

Hi. If I were you, I would get a Benz, most specifically the 2012 CLS-Class. It's the latest as far as I am concerned. You won't get any trouble with this car and even when you need it to be fixed. Benz has all availability when it comes with their car parts, so it should not be a problem.

Last edited by speediva; 05-17-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Link removed by Moderator
pjaybeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
cybernac
AF Newbie

You didn't mention your age. As a woman, I am interested in your age to determine what car I'd like to see you in! (That is, if you are truly wanting to impress the ladies.) I am almost 50 so I like seeing a man my age in a Lexxus. But, if I were 30, I'd probably be more impressed with the BMW!
cybernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
shelthernandez
AF Newbie

Among those cars that you've mentioned, I would go for a Nissan 370Z. You see, Nissan 370Z is a very decent car and you wont have problems in driving it.

Reviews about that car shows that impressive handling is one of its edge.

Other than that, Nissan provides cheap maintenance for auto parts than the other 2 cars you've mentioned.

I hope I gave some good feedbacks for you.

Last edited by jon@af; 05-19-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: link removed by moderator
shelthernandez is offline   Reply With Quote