Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
AF News Desk
Your Source For Auto News

The Driver's Seat: Where It All Begins

The Driver's Seat:
Where It All Begins
For many enthusiasts, that first car is the hardest to forget

Jonathan Swigart - AutomotiveForums.com
March 13, 2012

Yesterday, I had to say goodbye to one of my best, and oldest friends.

From the time we first met, I knew the relationship would work out. Though we had our problems, the memories we forged over the years were great.

Unfortunately, things tend to change over time. And, despite searching for a solution, we had to take her to the scrap yard.

I am, of course, talking about my first car: a 1989 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale.

Sadly, the cancer of the car world – rust – took its toll on the old girl. Since I didn’t have the funds to store her anywhere and justify it, the elements got the best of her and left the frame and sub-frame in desperate need of care that I knew wouldn’t extend her (I named her Victoria) life.

But, I’m glad I had the opportunity to drive her. And I think the emotions I have attached to the experience of ownership are appropriate in this case – or with any first car, for that matter.

Why? Because she wasn’t just a car: She was a member of the family, and a friend. I experienced so many different emotions while sitting behind the wheel of that car. Happiness, sadness, frustration, anger – all of these emotions and the catalysts behind them were shared.

We also experienced and shared relationships together – both personal and friendship – inside the confines of the cabin. Road trips, trips around town or just trips down the street. Stories that took place in that car are numerous and all of them important to me.

I even recall one moment in which my car seemed to reflect my emotions at the time: I had just been laid off from my first newspaper job (tough times being the low man on the totem pole in struggling medium). And, as I made my way home – my back seat packed with the items that had once adorned my office – I felt empty. This was fitting because so too was my gas tank, despite what had seemed to be an appropriate amount of fuel.

Part of me felt like I was doing the car a disservice by taking it to an auto recycling yard. The years of reliability she provided me - carrying me through my high school and college years, and even for a little bit in my post college-life. I felt as though she deserved better, especially considering how well I had been treated.

Regrettably, sometimes things don’t always end the way you hope. While I had hoped to keep my Oldsmobile for a few years more, maybe fix her up nice, she became a victim of circumstance.

However, just as I would do with the loss of any friend or family member, I will remember my first car and the experiences connected to it fondly.

After all, you always remember your first. After that, no car can really compare.

-------------------------------

Jonathan Swigart is an award-winning journalist and has been around the automotive world his entire life. "The Driver's Seat" will explore some of the basic aspects of driving that drivers often overlook, among other topics related to driving and the auto industry. He lives in Champaign, Illinois with his wife and son and works at the University of Illinois.

You can reach Jonathan by emailing newsdesk@automotiveforums.com

Email newsdesk@automotiveforums.com or send us a private message with a link to the content you think AF Members should check out!
AF News Desk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AF News Desk For This Useful Post:
GeorgeAdri (03-18-2012), Jamesfranklin (03-23-2012), Sobi (04-04-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Edward74
AF Newbie

Re: The Driver's Seat: Where It All Begins

Great article
Edward74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Houlamiller
AF Newbie

Very nice and use full article, every content of cars i just love it.
Houlamiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Jamesfranklin
Banned

I can understand what you would have felt at the time when you broke up with her. You had written so well that it's been quite emotional to read it and you represented your emotions pretty well about her and We all appreciate your efforts of keeping the relationship going but as you know it's a vital truth of real life that every relationship comes to an end but the happiest part of this story for you should be that relationship ended because of end of life span of your car.
Jamesfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Jsaw
AF Newbie

I hear you there. My first car was an Oldsmobile Cutlass surpreme. A LOT of good times with that car. Beautiful article, well said.

-J
Jsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Sobi
AF Newbie

Old is Gold , its ture we can't fotget the first car , Great Article (+)
Sobi is offline   Reply With Quote