Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
GriffinAuto
AF Newbie

Why are you passionate about cars?

Why are you passionate about cars, what drives your interest and fascination? What is the story behind your enthusiasm? What kinds of cars are you most passionate about?
GriffinAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
dizzle1
AF Regular

Re: Why are you passionate about cars?

Power, control, style, balance, standard features, sound, mpg, safety, functionality, durability are all the things I want in a car. Modifications to increase performance has always interested me on almost everypart of a automobile. The idea is to build the best example of what this car should have been like since we cant make are own cars. If we could design are own cars then we would have what we like but in reality its next to impossible unless you had billions to create a car company. I like all kinds of cars basically drivers cars.

2008 Bmw M3
2001 Bmw M5
2001 Bmw 740i Sport
1990 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1996 Chevy Impala SS
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS 454
1992 Ferrari F40
2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
2008 Hond S2000
1995 Mazda RX7
1998 Mclaren F1
2011 Mercedes S65 AMG
2008 Mitsubitshi Lancer Evolution
2003 Jaguar XJR
2008 Pontiac G8 GXP
1998 Toyota Supra Turbo

Last edited by dizzle1; 05-28-2010 at 10:49 PM.
dizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
akboss
AF Regular

Having a proper car is like extending your human ability to do what your natural body never could - travel fast, through most any weather, in reliable comfort and relative control and safety. It's like being able to run at 150 km/h, without ever getting tired, and in a cocoon...with music playing! There are many things that further push the enjoyment factor, like having a space to yourself in the world where you can be free to listen to your own music (and sing along), drive fast or slow, pick your nose, whatever. It's your 'space'. That's why drivers act differently behind the wheel than in person, people who hog lanes are making a statement that 'this is my space', rightly or wrongly.

Also I think there is a primal need to be in control - people love the whole act of the accelerator and steering wheel because they are the driving force behind this vehicle. It's why some dudes, who I think have a social deficiency, want to be in control of massive trucks and SUV's, it makes them feel like they have control and security and power. I love navigating a sharp corner in my little car, it's why I drive cars with a manual transmission, to further have the man-machine interaction. I'm seeing the corner ahead of me, anticipating my gear change and the steering camber, and lean into the corner and feel the car's grip (or not) as it wraps itself around the turn.

You'll find people that enjoy driving have typically very good hand-eye coordination, they love the directness of a vehicle's responses to their inputs. This is not just for cars, you'll find people that like driving also like ski-doo's, dirt bikes, quads, etc. Anything with a motor that provides an instant reaction, power, thrill, etc.
akboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
deadbolt_35
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to deadbolt_35

Quote:
Originally Posted by akboss View Post
Having a proper car is like extending your human ability to do what your natural body never could - travel fast, through most any weather, in reliable comfort and relative control and safety. It's like being able to run at 150 km/h, without ever getting tired, and in a cocoon...with music playing! There are many things that further push the enjoyment factor, like having a space to yourself in the world where you can be free to listen to your own music (and sing along), drive fast or slow, pick your nose, whatever. It's your 'space'. That's why drivers act differently behind the wheel than in person, people who hog lanes are making a statement that 'this is my space', rightly or wrongly.

Also I think there is a primal need to be in control - people love the whole act of the accelerator and steering wheel because they are the driving force behind this vehicle. It's why some dudes, who I think have a social deficiency, want to be in control of massive trucks and SUV's, it makes them feel like they have control and security and power. I love navigating a sharp corner in my little car, it's why I drive cars with a manual transmission, to further have the man-machine interaction. I'm seeing the corner ahead of me, anticipating my gear change and the steering camber, and lean into the corner and feel the car's grip (or not) as it wraps itself around the turn.

You'll find people that enjoy driving have typically very good hand-eye coordination, they love the directness of a vehicle's responses to their inputs. This is not just for cars, you'll find people that like driving also like ski-doo's, dirt bikes, quads, etc. Anything with a motor that provides an instant reaction, power, thrill, etc.
I second everything you said. It's so true too, I love cars and driving and I also do a lot of motorcycle riding.

I think it started for me because we always had car magazines in my home growning. Before I could even read I was flipping through MotorTrend or Car and Driver. It's art in motion. To drive a beautifully engineered and styled car is a powerful experience

Here's a geography lesson: I live in Ely, Nevada. No, that's not by Vegas, it's not hot like Vegas, it's not a desert wasteland like Vegas. I live at 6500 ft. I'm surrounded by mountains. It's really cold in the winter, and never gets above 100 in the summer.
deadbolt_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I agree with all the above comments, as I feel much the same way.

But here are a couple of other reasons. I like antiques of all kinds, vintage furniture, watches, vehicles, farm equipment, homes etc, since they are a link to bygone eras.

Older and vintage cars are a powerful nostalgia tool Cars of any era are representative of the complex marketing forces at work when they were made, including style, appearance, function and features. For me, older and vintage cars are like a time machine to transport (pun!!) me to another era.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
joyhood
AF Newbie

I have a great passion about cars because I think to have a nice car is same like increasing your human ability to do what your body never could like travelling fast, relative control and safety. It's like being able to run faster, without ever getting tired, and in a cocoon...with music playing! There are many things that further push the enjoyment factor, like having a space to yourself in the world where you can be free to listen to your own music, drive fast or slow, pick your nose, whatever. That's why drivers act differently behind the wheel than in person, people who hog lanes are making a statement that 'this is my space', rightly or wrongly.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General