Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Toronado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Kremer210
AF Newbie

90 Toro only starts when it wants to

my 90 is acting goofy! I get in it and turn the key over to start it and nothing happens, no sounds at all. It has been doing this for a while. All lights and wipers work so I have power. If I try and try again, it will start . . . sometimes!

It seems like when i turn the key to start it, there is almost a hesitation, then it starts, but other times it will either start right away the first time or nothing. I replaced the started twice but am begining to think the starter is not the case here. Any opinions?
Kremer210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 90 Toro only starts when it wants to

I'd be looking at all the grounds and battery connections firrst. Also try and check for 12v on the solenoid wire on the starter when this occurs, while someone holds the key in the crank position.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Kremer210
AF Newbie

okay today i went out a tried to start it and it didnt start like usual, i didn't have a helper available to test the lead going into the solenoid but i hooked up a battery charger and the thing fired right up, so i thought about maybe that the battery was bad but i have never had a battery act like this, so I am clueless. Once the wife gets home, ill test to solenoid wire. Is there a way to test it without taking it out? I tried to see an opening from the front side but i dont think my big ass hands will fit through it! LOL If not hopefully the wife doesn't mind getting dirty!
Kremer210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

You need to check those battery cables. I'm not familar with the 90 Toronado but I'm willing to bet there is a separate battery cable going to the starter. Therefore everything in the car can have a good connection but the starter. Disconnect all the battery cables & remove the bolts then clean everything with sandpaper/wirebrush. Reassemble with dielectric grease & give it a try.

If your still having trouble remove the battery cable from the starter & clean that & reassemble with some dielectric grease. You don't need to remove anything when checking for power to the small wire on the starter solenoid. Just connect a voltmeter or 12 volt test light between the terminal and ground. Should show 12 volts or bulb should light when key is turned to start position. Let us know what you find.

I'd also reccommend getting your battery tested. A lot of autoparts stores will do this for free.
Mickey#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
hermtman
AF Newbie

i have had the same problem with my 90 olds toronado. there is a computer chip in the ignition key. if it gets damaged or dirty the car will not start. wont even turn over. only the dash lights will come on. mine was damaged, and i had to replace the whole ignition switch try cleaning your key first.
hermtman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Toronado