Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
j cAT
AF Fanatic

B body 1996 Impala cold start growl

So I have had this problem for 5 years. cold start and sometimes it would make a growl sound for 1-2 sec after the engine starts up..now this year it does it mostly all the time on a cold start.

so I want to help people that had this issue with these 1994-1996 B body caprice/impala/buick road master sedans ..

what I found was the tension-er was making this growl. the cause of this was the power steering pump pulley would bind , when it sits for a two or more days ..
It was hard to figure it out .. I spun the pulley and it did spin.. then after I did this checking many times I pushed the pulley in toward the pump .. then it was binding..

the power steering pump pulley shaft had the bearing issue causing the bind.
I fixed it and no noise .. I removed the pulley and put a gear lube into the bearing .. no binding .. I would have purchased a new pump but I could not find new .. only refurbished .. many had these used pumps not work .. some would send to a repair person that will repair your pump.. If noise comes back I will pay for that service..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:03 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: B body 1996 Impala cold start growl

I did the steering pump 2019 .. did the shaft power steering pump used that gear oil 2019 then years ago very nice ! take the pulley off cleaned it and the 2019 gear oil used the needle oil , bearing ...very good ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS