Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What increase did you see?
0-5% 9 28.13%
6-10% 3 9.38%
11-15% 2 6.25%
16-20% 1 3.13%
21-25% 2 6.25%
26-30% 1 3.13%
31-35% 6 18.75%
36-40% 1 3.13%
41-45% 1 3.13%
46-50% 0 0%
51-55% 1 3.13%
56-60% 0 0%
61-65% 1 3.13%
66% or higher 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #31
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

94bigblazer Any comments on it
Old 04-06-2005, 02:30 AM   #32
OverBoardProject
Banned

Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

J-Ri I noticed that your last coment went missing right away.

Your probably on to something that some people don't want us to know about.

If they can control the energy they can control most of the people, and all the money
Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #33
Chevy-SS
AF Regular

Checked mileage today, after filling up using acetone last week. Right about 12mpg, all local driving. This was identical to previous week, without the acetone. Thus, adding the acetone provided no noticeable difference for me, but I will try again for another few tanks.

I'm gonna do the side gap spark plug mod next.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #34
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Checked mileage today, after filling up using acetone last week. Right about 12mpg, all local driving. This was identical to previous week, without the acetone. Thus, adding the acetone provided no noticeable difference for me, but I will try again for another few tanks.

I'm gonna do the side gap spark plug mod next.
I had heard that it doesn't work as well with fuel injected engines.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #35
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

I have been doing some more research on some more forums and I found one person who said they filled up and then put the acetone in and noticed nothing stayed at 17 but then the next tank they put the acetone in and then filled the tank and it bumped there mileage up to 26 mpg. I know it doesn't make any sense but in my 99 ranger i put it in after i filled up and noticed no improvement but in my 88 i put the acetone in and then filled it up and i have noticed better sound under acceleration much better mileage and i can't smell the exhaust 10 yards behind it like i used to be able to. I know that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense but its just a suggestion

J-ri How did you put it in there, you said it worked for you

chevy-ss How did you put it in there you said it didn't work

I doubt it matters but you never know
Old 04-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #36
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverBoardProject
J-Ri I noticed that your last coment went missing right away.

Your probably on to something that some people don't want us to know about.

If they can control the energy they can control most of the people, and all the money
Yea... my last past went away pretty quick... I was thinking hydrolysis in the vehicle powered by the alternator, but after researching it, I found it would require in the neighborhood of 1,000 amps continuously (at 12v) to provide enough hydrogen just at idle. Perhaps some chemical would make the hydrolysis more efficient (I know soap helps a bit, Chrysler was trying this a few years back, but I heard about it once, then never again. I wonder if maybe oil companies are trying to keep these things quiet ) I'm going to play around with a 5 hp engine, an alternator, and a hydrolysis tub this summer and see if I can get it to work, but I don't think it's possible... it just takes more power to produce hydrogen than you get from it. That makes hydrogen production from petrolium products impractical, but with a wind generator or a solar panel, it would be great.

biglogonafrogbig-
To add the acetone, I just fill the tank, then put in 3 oz for each 10 gallons. from now on, I'm going to add about 1/4 gallon gas after the acetone just to wash it out of the filler tube. Might be better to not have pure acetone just sitting on the hose. I've heard a few people with vortec engines say that acetone doesn't make a difference, I'd imagine Chevy-SS has vortec heads in his truck.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
Old 04-11-2005, 03:28 AM   #37
chembrad
AF Regular

Folks, I hate to spoil the party but adding acetone cannot increase the engergy of your fuel.

Gasoline is made up of hundreds of different hydrocarbon compounds from butane all the way up to dimethyl naphthalenes.

Now those of you who were paying attention in CA when the phase 2 gasoline came in, the gas mileage on the cars experienced about a 10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Why? Because when CARB (California Air Resources Board) changed the rules on the refineries, the product that the refineries sold in CA was a shorter run distillate with decreased concentrations of the larger molecules (more energy).

So adding a low energy compound such as acetone to your tank cannot give your fuel more energy.

What it CAN do is help clean out the crud that accumulates in old engines. So perhaps what you are experiencing is acetone cleaning the engine intake ports and such which would give you better gas mileage. But a well tuned & clean engine will not see an increase in fuel economy with acetone added.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #38
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembrad
Folks, I hate to spoil the party but adding acetone cannot increase the engergy of your fuel.

Gasoline is made up of hundreds of different hydrocarbon compounds from butane all the way up to dimethyl naphthalenes.

Now those of you who were paying attention in CA when the phase 2 gasoline came in, the gas mileage on the cars experienced about a 10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Why? Because when CARB (California Air Resources Board) changed the rules on the refineries, the product that the refineries sold in CA was a shorter run distillate with decreased concentrations of the larger molecules (more energy).

So adding a low energy compound such as acetone to your tank cannot give your fuel more energy.

What it CAN do is help clean out the crud that accumulates in old engines. So perhaps what you are experiencing is acetone cleaning the engine intake ports and such which would give you better gas mileage. But a well tuned & clean engine will not see an increase in fuel economy with acetone added.

What your saying may be true but i believe that it has definately worked for me whether it cleaned the engine or let more of the gas burn, but if it cleaned up the engine i don't think i would have noticed any results as soon as i did which was about 30 mins.

fishing1000
Do you have any comments on it. thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #39
Chevy-SS
AF Regular

Quote:

Hey, it's great that there is a scientist here. Thanks for the info. Can you offer any suggestions for an additive that may actually help mileage? Do you have any other mileage-improving suggestions?

Personally, I think the auto manufacturers should be absolutely embarassed at the horrid mileage most vehicles are getting. This is a common topic of debate at many places I hang out. A lot of people (including me) think there must be some sort of collusion going on between the gasoline-producing companies and the auto manufacturers to keep fuel mileage at this abysmal rate.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #40
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...5&page=1&pp=40

Heres a link to another forum where a bunch of other people are getting results. Although few aren't.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #41
V-K
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to V-K

Quote:
Would it be better than any fuel system cleaner that you could purchase off the shelf at (insert favorite auto store here)? Milage isn't that big of a deal for me
Old 04-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #42
chembrad
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Hey, it's great that there is a scientist here. Thanks for the info. Can you offer any suggestions for an additive that may actually help mileage? Do you have any other mileage-improving suggestions?

Personally, I think the auto manufacturers should be absolutely embarassed at the horrid mileage most vehicles are getting. This is a common topic of debate at many places I hang out. A lot of people (including me) think there must be some sort of collusion going on between the gasoline-producing companies and the auto manufacturers to keep fuel mileage at this abysmal rate.

An automotive engineer would be better to ask. All I can comment on is the physical and chemical properties of the fuel.

But common sense says that in order to increase efficiency, I either have to improve the system or improve the fuel. You can add the Octane Boost stuff (basically just refined diesel) and what you are doing is adding heavier hydrocarbons so basically throwing larger logs on the fire so to speak.

Decreasing the weight of your vehicle will help improve fuel economy and the reverse is true.

There is no "collusion" between oil comps and auto manufacturers. No more than between doctors and pharmaceutical companies keeping us hooked on drugs rather than healing. Hogwash.

Automotive engineers are professionals. They make the best car possible given the limitations. And there are limitations you know.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #43
chembrad
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglogonafrogbig
What your saying may be true but i believe that it has definately worked for me whether it cleaned the engine or let more of the gas burn, but if it cleaned up the engine i don't think i would have noticed any results as soon as i did which was about 30 mins.

fishing1000
Do you have any comments on it. thanks
Well one possibility is that the oxygen in acetone adds needed oxygen to improve efficiency of burning if your fuel air mixture is running rich. But I am skeptical even with that. Although that is more understandable than increasing the energy of the fuel which is a physical and chemical impossibility by adding acetone to gasoline.

Yes folks. You heard me right. Everything is NOT possible. Whoever says otherwise is just being argumentative or silly.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #44
White Lightening
AF Regular

Greetings Fellow Truck Enthusiasts,

I'm intrigued but not confident by the idea of acetone being added to the fuel system.

Just so you understand - acetone is what is used as a "cleaner" and "cure stopper" when doing fiberglassing. When making a fiberglass project and your hands get full of the fiberglass resin/hardener - your hands heat up and start "curing". Acetone is used to stop the cure - cool down the heat buildup of the resin hardening - and clean hands and surfaces of the resin.

Acetone's flash point and flame volatility is very flameable and explosive when exposed to spark or flame. Different than gasoline - it has more fast evaporative cling to it. It also can effect paint, bedliners and other surfaces. I'd urge caution around this stuff. I've worked with it often in various projects. Pure acetone has little smell to speak of - its clear - and very inhalant oriented (much more than gasoline).

For those interested in saving gas or improving engine performance - you might try this link to many different reader provided ideas.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=335161

White Lightening

More pictures???
Link below shows them & a list of features and options on this 2wd SS
V.H.O.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/ga...ite+Lightening

Old 04-11-2005, 11:26 PM   #45
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Acetone doesn't increase the power in the gasoline. It allows the fuel to atomize more completely. There is a link in the very first post that fully explains this.

And yes, it's not good to get in on you, inhale it, or to get it on paint or plastic. You also shouldn't drink it, use it as eyedrops, or light a cigarette while pouring it. Be careful with it.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General