Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
View Poll Results: What increase did you see?
0-5% 9 28.13%
6-10% 3 9.38%
11-15% 2 6.25%
16-20% 1 3.13%
21-25% 2 6.25%
26-30% 1 3.13%
31-35% 6 18.75%
36-40% 1 3.13%
41-45% 1 3.13%
46-50% 0 0%
51-55% 1 3.13%
56-60% 0 0%
61-65% 1 3.13%
66% or higher 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #151
Ian Szgatti
AF Regular

Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

I dont think acetone would be to good for fuel injectors
Old 11-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #152
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

as i understand it, acetone has little or no effect on Fuel Injection engines.
the reason is that acetone is a surficant of sorts. that means that it nearly eliminates surface tension in the gasoline as it is being injected into the engine. this aids in atomization of gasoline, which helps make more power while wasting less fuel (as unburnt exhaust) and cleans the whole system in the process.

carburators have poor fuel atomization, so they can benifit the most from acetone.

the thing that worries me about acetone is having it sit in the tank.

can anyone think of a way to inject acetone into the mix right before it enters the carb? kind of like a modified water injection system. it would be better because you could get the metering down and not have to worry about getting the ratios right in the tank.

could you modify a wet nitrous system to inject acetone?
this might be the best way.

you couldnt inject it before the carb, but that might help prevent doing damage to the rubber in the carb anyway.

opinions anyone???
Old 11-17-2006, 11:32 PM   #153
Ian Szgatti
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose006
My concern is in regard to the insulation around the windings of the fuel injectors themselves. Alcohol is known to disolve this material. Granted there are different types of alcohol, and I make no claim to be an expert on them, but i'd bet this is not a compound that would agree with the insulator, let alone the fact it's useless in increasing atomization. I am always up for evidence dismissing my claim though...
Old 11-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #154
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

acetone isn't an alcohol, it's an aldehyde. (i originally said ketone, the common name isn't as easy to identify as the IUPAC name, easy mistake)

as for the injection of acetone before the carb, do you mean inject it into the fuel lines or inject it into the intake? it wouldn't do anything if you injected it into the intake. this principle works on the idea that it weakens the surface tension in gasoline to allow the nozzle to atomize it more. this wouldn't happen if you just injected it into the intake since the nozzle has already done its job before the gasoline comes in contact with the acetone.

Also, from what i've learned aldehydes don't react with alkanes or polymers so if it's rubber in the carb i wouldn't be worried, i'd worry about other components. although over prolonged exposure it might react, i'm not positive.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #155
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

well i was thinking you could inject it into the fuel supply right before, or at the fuel filter, right before the carb. i doubt acetone would be able to do much damage while the engine was running, but if it was to sit in the carb all night, i'd be afraid it'd do some damage. you would want a way to turn it off about 10 seconds before you shut the car off for good too to keep it from sitting in the cylinders. it might not do much damage, but it would make me feel better to have a button to have manual control.

the only problem would be metering.

i cant see how you would inject such a small amount of acetone into the fuel acurately.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #156
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose006
the reason is that acetone is a surficant of sorts. that means that it nearly eliminates surface tension in the gasoline as it is being injected into the engine. this aids in atomization of gasoline, which helps make more power while wasting less fuel (as unburnt exhaust) and cleans the whole system in the process.

carburators have poor fuel atomization, so they can benifit the most from acetone.

the thing that worries me about acetone is having it sit in the tank.

can anyone think of a way to inject acetone into the mix right before it enters the carb? kind of like a modified water injection system. it would be better because you could get the metering down and not have to worry about getting the ratios right in the tank.

could you modify a wet nitrous system to inject acetone?
this might be the best way.

you couldnt inject it before the carb, but that might help prevent doing damage to the rubber in the carb anyway.

opinions anyone???
An engine burn 98-99% of the fuel it gets given that there is enough oxygen for a complete burn. The small amount of fuel that is not burned is not caused by poor vaporisation, rather is's caused by low temperatures encountered at "hidden places" in the combustion chamber (the fuel injector nozzle of a diesel, the space between the piston and the cylinder above the top ring and so on). Even if there was an additve (catalyst) that could make those last 1-2% to burn, it wouldn't have any significant effect on the fuel consumption. There are in other words no margins for improvement in this area.

The explaination about how acetone work is also completly BS, it's nothing more than pseudoscience. Here's a few examples of the stupidity:

Quote:
Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars.
As explained above, this is not an issue

Quote:
Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes.
Someone was obviously sleeping during physics class in school! Phase changes, heat of vaporisation, vapor pressure... does it ring a bell?

Quote:
Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension.
A first class example of pseudoscience. Mix together a lot of words so that it appears scientific, preferbly words the average person does not understand. However, in the end it has no scientific meaning.

If we go back to actual science, we know that driving habits can affect the fuel consumption as much as 30%. We also know that it can be difficult to measure the actual consumption without additional testing equipment. In other words, if you want to compare fuel consumption data for a car you need to do it by following a specified driving cycle where the car is put in a controlled environment with equipment measuring all significant data. If you do this, I can guarantee you that you will get evidence that acetone does not improve mileage.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #157
Bob115
AF Newbie

I just did the test with my 1992 Buick Roadmaster 350 TBI I have had the car for two years and drove it to FL 3 times and the best gas mileage I have ever got was 504 to the tank and it took 19.5 gal of gas. On the was down to FL this time I got 490 on my best tank and it took 19.2 gal of gas and there was little to no traffic the hole run. On the way home I used 2oz of acetone and my first tank I got 514 on the tank and the gas lite was not on yet I still had to get gas not wanting to run out the car only took 18.8 gal. on the next tank with another 2oz we raced a Ranger blew him away and my wife said the car never felt that fast I did not even tell her about the acetone we went 535 to the tank and again no fuel light the car took only 19.2 gal.
After this I am 100% sure acetone works in my car I don't car what kind of formula you have that says it will not work I know for a fact that it does.

Last edited by Bob115; 01-06-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #158
Ian Szgatti
AF Regular

I'm wondering if anybody has tried to make a miniature sized container of this stuff and tested rubber parts in it
Old 01-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #159
534BC
AF Enthusiast

I soak rubber tires in it and it doesn't hurt them, but it eats away glue and some plastics (turns them to mush)
Old 01-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #160
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Thourun

Wait so is this legit?
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Soon:Topline Engineering ground wires.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #161
534BC
AF Enthusiast

Only soaking model tires in acetone is legit. Using acetone in cars is legit , but it does nothing at all. I'm currently doing my second round of testing in multiple vehicles and multiple back to back tests. The conclusion will be the same, No difference in MPG.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #162
Millermagic
AF Regular

I tried it in my 01 Taurus - Call me dumb.

Lately my gas mileage has been going down. On my last non-acetone tank I got 20.1 mpg. I added 6oz of acetone to the 18gal tank (too much by mistake) and I ended up with 22mpg - I was also carrying around 4 tires in the trunk and doing much more city driving than.

What I noticed more than that is my starting problem went away and the car idles much smoother.

And I've been doing some research on this stuff - if you go reasonable with it (no more than 3oz per 10 gallons) you WON'T have any negative effects.

- Leather - Transmission Cooler - Gen III Tweeter Sails - Gen III Rocker Covers -

As you walk through the valley of RICE, you shall fear NO V-TEC, for torque is with thee!

Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #163
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
An engine burn 98-99% of the fuel it gets given that there is enough oxygen for a complete burn. The small amount of fuel that is not burned is not caused by poor vaporisation, rather is's caused by low temperatures encountered at "hidden places" in the combustion chamber (the fuel injector nozzle of a diesel, the space between the piston and the cylinder above the top ring and so on). Even if there was an additve (catalyst) that could make those last 1-2% to burn, it wouldn't have any significant effect on the fuel consumption. There are in other words no margins for improvement in this area.
i'm sorry, but i disagree.

engines do not burn liquid gasoline.
they burn gasoline vapors.

acetone allows gas to be vaporized better than it would if it was simply put thru the atomizing jets in a carburator.

it is this complete vaporization that allows for better mileage and more power.

it is easy to see if you compare a carburated engine with an identical engine that is fuel injected, or one that has direct injection.
the better the vaporization of fuel, the more fuel will burn, the more power you will make, and the more mileage you will get.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #164
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

I like black and white examples.

So if its great, why such a small percetage. If the properties of acetone are so great, why not add more?

What would happen if you ran a tank with only acetone, no gas? ignoring the cost, would it double your power? Double your mileage?

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #165
534BC
AF Enthusiast

It will triple your mpg and double your power, but cost 10X. hehe.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General