Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
krappy
AF Newbie

tire pressure

iv been reading some of the posts on tire pressure and i get the impreesion that most people put more pressure in their tires.. however i saw in a magazine or soemthing that they decreased the pressure liek 5psi for a faster quarter mile. can someone help clear this up for me?
krappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

By lowering the tire pressure on your driven (front or rear) you make a bigger footprint or more contact with the pavement with your wheels and have more resistance to spin or break loose when you lanch.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 11:42 PM   #3
Alastor187
AF Regular

Decreasing tire pressure genreally will allow more force to be developed by the tire but it will also increase the rolling resistance, can cause excessive heating (leads to tire failure), and result in uneven tire wear.
Alastor187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 12:04 AM   #4
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by krappy
iv been reading some of the posts on tire pressure and i get the impreesion that most people put more pressure in their tires.. however i saw in a magazine or soemthing that they decreased the pressure liek 5psi for a faster quarter mile. can someone help clear this up for me?
When your having problems hooking-up decreasing the pressure can help in spite of what you think. It's not like your going on a trip to bumm f**k alaska.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Alastor187
AF Regular

Re: Re: tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
When your having problems hooking-up decreasing the pressure can help in spite of what you think. It's not like your going on a trip to bumm f**k alaska.
I never said it would not help, but you do no gain something without giving something else up, kind of like the "nothing is free" adage. I think he should be aware of the pros and cons of changing tire pressure, if he is going to try it.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:31 AM   #6
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor187
I never said it would not help, but you do no gain something without giving something else up, kind of like the "nothing is free" adage. I think he should be aware of the pros and cons of changing tire pressure, if he is going to try it.
I have a street legal car that runs on MT tires with 20lbs. in the very low 10's. Please tell me what I'm giving up and how I can get in the 9's.

Albert
Old 11-27-2004, 12:42 AM   #7
Alastor187
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: tire pressure

Quote:
I have a street legal car that runs on MT tires with 20lbs. in the very low 10's. Please tell me what I'm giving up and how I can get in the 9's.

Albert
Well on your trip to Alaska you are giving up longevity and reliability. On the track as you said lower is better so maybe if you lowered the tire pressure to 5 psi you could get a lot better acceleration. Maybe if you lowered it to 0 psi you could get infinite acceleration :P
Old 11-27-2004, 09:01 AM   #8
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tire pressure

Quote:
Well on your trip to Alaska you are giving up longevity and reliability. On the track as you said lower is better so maybe if you lowered the tire pressure to 5 psi you could get a lot better acceleration. Maybe if you lowered it to 0 psi you could get infinite acceleration :P

You know you've won the dumb shit award. It really don''t take much brains to know on the street proper tire pressure is important for safety and wear, but on the track safety and winning is more important. Maybe if you raised your IQ up to 0 you could claim you have a brain
Old 11-27-2004, 10:07 PM   #9
Alastor187
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tire pressure

Quote:
You know you've won the dumb shit award. It really don''t take much brains to know on the street proper tire pressure is important for safety and wear, but on the track safety and winning is more important. Maybe if you raised your IQ up to 0 you could claim you have a brain
lol .... I thought that might get you riled up, and I would like to thank you for the award. It is the nicest thing anyone has ever given me on these forums. Also, just for the record my IQ is not 0 it is at least 100 times higher. [/immaturity]

Neither one of us can assume what the original poster (OP) was going to do with information contained within the responses. Therefore I think they should be given as much information as possible so they can decide what is best for their situation.

I do not know if the OP intends lower their tire pressure at home before they leave for the track. Or maybe they lower the tire pressure before their run and then do not re-inflate the tires before driving home. Does the OP understand that there is a limit to how much air should be removed after which any further decrease reduces tire performance? Maybe, the OP does not even race at all and was just curious for their own personal growth.

Whatever the case it really does not matter you shouldn't be able to decide what information is relevant and what is not, that is up to the OP.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:18 PM   #10
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tire pressure

Quote:
lol .... I thought that might get you riled up, and I would like to thank you for the award. It is the nicest thing anyone has ever given me on these forums. Also, just for the record my IQ is not 0 it is at least 100 times higher. [/immaturity]

Neither one of us can assume what the original poster (OP) was going to do with information contained within the responses. Therefore I think they should be given as much information as possible so they can decide what is best for their situation.

I do not know if the OP intends lower their tire pressure at home before they leave for the track. Or maybe they lower the tire pressure before their run and then do not re-inflate the tires before driving home. Does the OP understand that there is a limit to how much air should be removed after which any further decrease reduces tire performance? Maybe, the OP does not even race at all and was just curious for their own personal growth.

Whatever the case it really does not matter you shouldn't be able to decide what information is relevant and what is not, that is up to the OP.

Good point...you IQ just went up 10 points. But his question was directed at the 1/4 if I'm not mistaken. But you still get to keep the 10 points but have to return the award.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:24 PM   #11
imcguire
AF Newbie

also lower tire pressure increases acceleration while more tire pressure increases top speed
imcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:33 PM   #12
Ghost96Gt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Ghost96Gt

also anything times 0 is 0 so 100 times = 0 jk though man not trying to diss u
Ghost96Gt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical