Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #16
Stickin_It_2_Em
Banned

Re: amsoil

Where's your shop?
Stickin_It_2_Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:18 AM   #17
sracing
AF Regular

Re: Re: amsoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickin_It_2_Em
Where's your shop?
Lexington KY.

Jim
SR Racing
sracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:48 PM   #18
Stickin_It_2_Em
Banned

Maybe this July when I can travel from Tucson, AZ. Till then take care. P.S. Whos buying the oil?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 AM   #19
sracing
AF Regular

Quote:
Maybe this July when I can travel from Tucson, AZ. Till then take care. P.S. Whos buying the oil?
Since you are an amsoil dealer, you supply the Amsoil.

BTW, you didn't mention your opinion on why no IRL, CART, Formula One or NASCAR teams use Amsoil if it is better than other oils? IRL, CART and most NASCAR teams use Mobile One right out of the bottle. I am not sure about Formula One but I bet they don't use Amsoil. (a hint... It has nothing to do with sponsorship, since there is no requirement in those venues to use the products that sponsor you.)

Jim
SR Racing
Old 12-23-2004, 05:31 PM   #20
Stickin_It_2_Em
Banned

First off... Im not a dealer. I buy it from my local NAPA. Second off many dragster's use Amsiol, as well as Trophy Trucks in the Baja 1000, A few WRC Rally Cars, Dakar, And I know there are a few Nascar teams that are supplied w/ Amsoil. And why is it that for all the years running that Amsoil has NEVER payed out to someone who's engine was destroyed due to motor oil? I am just an average Joe that races his car on the weekends at SOLO II events, and drive's Buggy's at the Dunes over Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I use what I know what works. If Mobil is soooooo great, why donesnt anyone have any test's posted online that their oil beats Amsoil? Seems like that would be a good marketing tool wouldn't it? Oh yeah I believe Amsiol does sponsor AMA Motorcross events. I know I always see their truck in the pits, and their posters on the hay bails around each corner. Hmmmmmmmm.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #21
sracing
AF Regular

Quote:
First off... Im not a dealer. I buy it from my local NAPA. Second off many dragster's use Amsiol, as well as Trophy Trucks in the Baja 1000, A few WRC Rally Cars, Dakar, And I know there are a few Nascar teams that are supplied w/ Amsoil. .
Why not become a dealer? You get it cheaper and it's simple to do.

We are in the business. (racing) We have supported many amateur and pro teams and cars over the years. I have NEVER seen a pro venue car use Amsoil. Sure, I am sure there are a few teams that receive Amsoil products. (and or monies) This might get them a Amsoil decal on the car. There is NO requirement by any venue that a team use the products that they are given. But, I am sure there is a team or two around that use it. It won't hurt anything, especially if you get it for free. <g>

Quote:
And why is it that for all the years running that Amsoil has NEVER payed out to someone who's engine was destroyed due to motor oil?.
<GGGG> Simply because NO engine has been destroyed by any rated motor oil when used correctly. And it would be hard to prove otherwise.
We build/rebuild race engines and most all can fail due to oiling issues. It would be impossible to prove that the oil caused the problem. Low oil level, debris, over temps, etc. can all cause an engine to blow and the symptoms are identical. Only a test of the oil composition BEFORE usage could prove that the oil caused the problem. And Amsoil would pass these tests, just like ANY rated motor oil would.

Quote:
I am just an average Joe that races his car on the weekends at SOLO II events, and drive's Buggy's at the Dunes over Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I use what I know what works..
That is one of my points.. YOU are just an average Joe. F1, NASCAR, IRL, CART, etc teams have millions of dollars invested in equipment to test their engines down to the last .1mpg, .1 HP, etc. The are not average Joes and know EXACTLY what works. We are not average JOes here either. We have tested many off the shelf brands for performance in everything from a/c small blocks to 1000hp, gas, nitros, and blown engines. AMSOIL is ok, but no better that ANY synthetic. And's it compounds vary too much from batch to batch to rate it as a very high quality lubricant.

Quote:
If Mobil is soooooo great, why donesnt anyone have any test's posted online that their oil beats Amsoil?.
<GGGGGGGG> This is where it gets difficult for the layman to understand. The oil designed for an internal combustion engine can not be simply evaluated by a test (like the silly 4 ball Amsoil tests). The oil must do several things and many of those things are in conflict with each other. It must be heat conductive, carry heat well, lubricate in multiple ways, be load bearing, stay together in high temps, work well in low temps and adjust it's apparent weight with temperature and provide some protection for a while when a lube failure does occur. It must have sequestering agents, detergents, filter well and more. There are dozens of tests that are indicative of how "good" an oil is. And being the best in a single test or even multiples mean nothing. (Especially the 4 ball test)
(A test used often by the aftermarket sellers of bogus additives.)

An example of the above before the rules were changed... For great HP and mileage we used to use a oil that was not unlike kerosene for NASCAR qualifying. Then the cam was replaced after the 3 laps. Since it was toast. So if you want great HP and mileage, just use kerosene.

If you just want to keep the engine clean use lots of detergents and sequestering agents. If you want great load bearing capability use gear oil. If you want to cool great use water. If you want lube failure security use more zinc.

The point IS that oil in an internal combustion engine oil is a major compromise and all things have to be considered.

Quote:
Seems like that would be a good marketing tool wouldn't it?
Yes. Just like most all of Amsoils "testimonials", "fleet tests", and independent lab tests" ALL garbage. Madison Ave is very aware of the allowed use of the above in any capacity while being legal.

We are often called upon to do an "independent lab" test for a particular product. If the company likes our tests and uses the results, they like us and use us again. If they don't like the test results they just use someone else. We just recently did some tests for a mass air flow sensor manufacture/seller. (dyno and flow bench).

>Oh yeah I believe Amsiol does sponsor AMA Motorcross events.<

Amsoil can sponsor anything they want. We sponsor races and solo events all the time. That doesn't mean that anyone has to use our products or services.

BTW, GM and BMW currently DOES recommend Mobile One for use in some of their cars. While that is somewhat telling, it COULD simply be a marketing ploy. I doubt you will see AMSOIL listed as recommended in any case. <g>

Think about it.. If AMSOIL provided ANY gains in mileage, performance, economy, or longevity the major manufacturers would rush to use them. They are forced by law to look for every advantage in MPG, pollution, exhaust system (cat) longevity etc. All they would have to do is specify AMsoil and they could meet the requirements for 2010 based upon AMsoil testimonials. But, they don't!

Get your undies out of knots... Amsoil is not bad stuff. It is simply overpriced and no better than other synthetics.

Jim
SR Racing

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical