Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
mahomeless
AF Newbie

buying a 1985 c4 corvette

First off I just want to say hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I've been offered a 1985 corvette for $5000 from a relative who is retired and repairs cars in his spare time. I don't know a whole lot about this specific car and I wanted to spark a conversation on cost of maintenance and other upkeep I might need to know before investing.

Specs that I know:
The car has all stock or stock replacement parts.
51,667 miles.
4+3 transmission.
It does need a new paint job. Because there is a black "plaster" patching on the fiber glass, heavily on the doors. I'm not quite sure why - since fiber glass doesn't rust. (If you know what this is, please explain)
The felt upholstery is torn in some areas, but I can definitely live with it and fix it later.
It sounds nice and looks nice from the drivers seat.

Thanks
mahomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: buying a 1985 c4 corvette

The door could be damaged. Fiberglass can puncture or tear with an impact. If the damage is not too bad, the damage can be repaired with layers of new fiberglass, filler an resin. The patch you are looking at may be an impact repair. Beware, there is a big difference between a proper repair and a poor one.

IMO the asking price is a bit high, for a damaged, somewhat-ragged example. The '85's are pretty good cars, but the Vette steadily improved throughout the '80's and '90's, so newer ones are better. You could pick up a newer, better one, in better condition for about the same money.

For example, look at what $6000 asking price will get you.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=2702948
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
mahomeless
AF Newbie

Re: buying a 1985 c4 corvette

Take a look for yourself. Both of the doors are entirely black with spots around the lights. The damage isn't in one specific area so I don't think it's from a wreck.

Wow that car is only $6000? It seems to be in good shape too.
mahomeless is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1985 , corvette
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A