Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 10:55 AM   #1
Cannabis
AF Regular

Lightbulb Old and New Cheating Methods(just for ammusment)

First I tell a little story about what made me post this, but if you don't care skip to the next paragraph. Not sure where this should have gone. I don't want it to just cover nascar, but relocate to where neccesary.

After my junior year in high school I worked as a surveyor, leaving every monday from Tennessee togo to Mississippi. We were doing center line surveying for power lines, so my jobs was to cut a clear line of site for the gun, which I must say was the hardest job I have ever had, I didn't get paid that much(6.50/hr + expenses as in all my meals, and drinks except beer, or anyother alcohol. normally around 48 hours a week, while only working monday through thursday including travel time which was paid), but it was great experience, and I had alot of fun at night in the hotels with the crews.

They were all a bunch of rednecks, but entertaining. The crew chief was huge in Nascar, but he told me some about this one guy(can't remember his name) that raced back in the 1970s, and was responsible for many of nascars rules. Here are some of the methods he used: extremly long fuel line, so his car could hold more gas. Supposedly the fuel line wrapped around the car and through the car numerous time making it hold somewhere around 10 gallons more, He put a special bottom on the gas can so that when it was inverted the bottom would flip down, and the gas would dump into the tank all at once instead of having to glug with air bubble wirking up, had a bag of heavy ball bearings(making him make weight that would slowly empty durring the race eventually making hime drop a hundred pounds or so.

I found these pretty clever, and funny. At the time most of his tricks weren't agains the rules and nascar had to respond with new rules, and nascar has an entire room or something like that of things confiscated from him. Post any other old cheater's methods that are clever.
Peace
Old 11-20-2001, 09:20 PM   #2
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Smokey Yunick

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:06 PM   #3
Mclaren F1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mclaren F1
i heard a story similar to that, hehe it was pretty funny
Mclaren F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 06:58 PM   #4
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
he actually had a separate tank... they figured it out after they took his car apart in inspection, and he was driving back to the pits, but his gas tank was still sitting in inspection... hmm...

he used to do cool stuff like that...

he had a camaro that he made 7/8 scale, and then, he took nascar's templates, and resized em to his car, so that it would pass inspection...

sounds a bit off, but its true... awesome stuff... i wish i coulda been there...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:41 PM   #5
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
his car was smaller than it shoulda been??
Old 02-20-2002, 12:47 AM   #6
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by NSX-R-SSJ20K
his car was smaller than it shoulda been??
Yes

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #7
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

Brabham and Williams 1982 - Used water cooling of brakes - evidently there was enough water in the tanks for the whole season. This was dispersed early in race to reduce weight and topped up under FIA rules in parc ferme to make the minimum weight. Subsequently dQ'ed

Brabham 1980s - movable aero aids have been banned for sometime but a Brabham used a fan that was 'primarily for engine coolant cooling' but had the side effect of sucking air from under the car increasing downforce. Won a race before being outlawed.

Sierra Cosworth Turbo - mid 90s. During a Bathurst qualifying shoot-out, the pole winning car was inspected and officials discovered that a engine bay C02 extinguisher was plumbed into the intercooler (increasing efficiency and power). A rewrite of the rules was made overnight banning this in the race.

Sandown Enduro - early 90s. Allan Moffat needed to come in for a fuel stop (a splash and dash). The car made it's way into the pit lane when a crewman ran alongside the car with a fuel churn filling the car without a complete stop. Officials again reviewed the rules outlawing this practice immediately after a hearing found they had broken no rules.

Toyota WRC - late 90s. The team was banned for a year from world rallying after developing a part that bypassed the compulsory 34mm restrictor to limit engine power.

Kevin Bartlett - late 80s Camaro. Had every bolt drilled to reduce weight. When the car rolled during a race the car appeared to suffer huge damage - it was mainly due to the bolts snapping.

And from the world of sailing - I was in a race once in very light airs and a strong tidal flow in the harbor. After looking at the nav charts, observing the instruments and the shoreline we tossed the anchor off the front of the boat and began to edge into the lead. The wind was so light we had boatspeed less than the opposing current... so everyone was going backwards down the harbor.

The class rules required each boat to carry a standard anchor and length of chain (which are obviously very heavy). After a while, almost all of the fleet - we ended up leading with our anchor over the side - had followed suit. Apart from 4 boats who ended up about a mile downcurrent. When the wind picked up slightly and tide turned, these boats had remarkable progress and surged into the lead.

Something was fishy so we protested at the finish and upon inspection none of the boats had been carrying an anchor or a chain making them lighter than the rest of us and giving them an advantage in the light airs...
replicant_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:19 PM   #8
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
there have also been bolts used that would "snap" after inspection in nascar, that would allow the car to sit lower on the track...

interesting...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:11 PM   #9
Scott 02
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Scott 02 Send a message via Yahoo to Scott 02
Very so. I know a few but im thinking about keeping them secret for now.
Scott 02 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical