Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
defiant79
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to defiant79 Send a message via Yahoo to defiant79
'95 Dodge Ram Van 2500 318

Hello,

My name is Mike. NICE site you have here, have found things for one of my vehicles a few times through google searches.

I have a problem that I've been unable to come up with an answer to so far. I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Van with a 318 in it. A few months back we took the van down the road and was sitting in a drive thru, while sitting there the van just died. No sputtering, it just flat out died. The first try to restart it, it acted like it was going to (briefly) and then that was it. Had the van towed home and started the process of trouble shooting with a friend. It is NOT getting spark coming out of the Ignition Coil, so I replaced the ignition coil and still no good. Have also replaced the Distributor Cap and the button as well.

A friend of ours has a computer setup he bought for 3 grand that he connected to the Vans computer. He said the only error code in the computer was a A/C Clutch Relay error. The computer also showed it was getting a signal from the Cam and Crank Sensors, as well as the Pickup Coil in the cap. I have tested the ASD relay and its working properly. The ignition coil is getting around 5 volts to it (battery is drained from all the starting attempts so this was jumpered to another vehicle).

It is getting fuel, just no spark. My brother-in-law has suggested getting an old style Ignition coil and splice it into a power wire that is hot when the key is on and hook up the ground and sort of "bypass" the old coil. Is this a feasible idea? I just don't want to make issues worse. My brother-in-law also says that the timing chain is fine (although I'm not sure how he knows its in time without actually checking???)

Let me know if you need any other info! Thanks for any and all info that gets me in the right direction.

Mike
defiant79 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van