Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #31
Rating
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Rating
Re: What car to modify?

Here buy this inexpensive pos and make it a mad street machine, then your the man.
I would love nothing more than to see this baby fly.

Im not proud of my car because its fast, Im proud of it be cause I built it that way.
Rating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:06 AM   #32
bjdm151
AF Regular

Through all this garble i would have to say go with an older 240sx. An s13 chassis can be had for a steal and they are light weight and rear wheel drive. Don't let those civic kids fool you, there is nothing like rear wheal drive, even ask the muscle car guys. As technology has increased manufacturers are even starting to put more rwd on the market. Another nice thing about the s13 platform is the amount of mods that ar now available for it, look at the price of a sr20 swap now vs a couple of years ago.

The choice is simple.

BJ
bjdm151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:26 PM   #33
kenwood guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to kenwood guy

I was looking at the 240sx but the proplem is that he lives in california if he gets an sr engine the smog emmissions codes might make that car not worth the legal trouble emmissions suck in california man to swap imported engines in my opinion is a big risk ( I live in cali) get a camaro man thats what im going to get
kenwood guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #34
Hypsi87
I got your v-8 swingin!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hypsi87
LOL forget the monties, go for the ultimate G-body. 5K would easely put you in a 1986-87 T-type. If you want to talk about go fast for cheap, you just can't beat it, only weakness is the tranny but everything elese is good to go. Also, they can handle. Stock they pulled .81 on the skid pad (granted not exactly vette handling but hey) Also they used this body style and suspension in NASCAR it can be built to handle. Its forete though is deffinatly drag strip.

3K for T-type
150$ for adj FPR
600$ for TE-44 turbo
300$ for slicks.
15$ bucks at the hardwarestore for boost control
300$ for a SMC alcohol injection kit,

150$ for 2800 RPM for higher stall torque converter. (used, they are on sale all the time,)

chip, 50$ (maybe some injectors??)

mid 11 second car for 4565k

or you can skip the alcohol injection and run race fuel

Grand National. Going fast with class.
Voted FASTEST street car on AF.
Here is the proof!!!
1987 Buick Grand National.
Back in action!!!!
1999 Ford F-250
Tow rig from hell 598 Ft-lbs.
ASE Certified in...
Mobile AC
On Highway medium duty diesel engines.
Off highwayy medium duty diesel engines.
On highway trucks.
Working on the eletronics certification

Member of
A.A.N.B.C- Afer against non boosted crews #2
Hypsi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:49 PM   #35
tricksaturnsc2
AF Newbie

Get a 95 200sx se-r. fully forged bottom end, designed to have a turbo (engine is an sr20 & they are all turbo'd in japan & this is the same engine). You can buy one for 5k, turbo for 3k & it will run 12's. They respond very well to mods.

I have an s2000, an all motor gutted saturn w/ nos, & I am still glad about my 200sx se-r purchase. Cams do a hell of a lot on them.
tricksaturnsc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:19 PM   #36
TeamFL1
AF Regular

5,000!!!! guys you are going tooo far.... and V8 .....for a beginner i dunt recommend v8 ...and didn't this guy sey his was into imports.NOT SURE..don't even bother to tune a 5,000 used car... most 4 cylinder car their HP loses after a while... cars lose horse power exspeciallly 4cylinders, so DUNT BOTHER TUNING A 5,000 car with a 4 cylinder.. jus drive , REV it, and leave it stock. UNLESS u get a honda and planing to throw a new engine or nissan 240sx to an SR20DET. then you're in the game
TeamFL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:51 AM   #37
runningmole
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to runningmole

Fox Body Mustang. But I GUARANTEE you'll go over your 5,000 limit, not matter what kind of car you decide to get
Blue/Titanium 2tone, 5spd, 3.55s, JBA ceramic shorties, catted H-pipe, dumped Magnaflows, MSD goodies, FMS alum rad, Pro50, balanced/blueprinted forged 327 stroker (8.2 compression), AFR 185s, Performer RPM, 70mm TB, FTI custom cam, SFC, In-floor Subframes, Maximum Motorsports Torque Arm and Panhard Bar, H&R Springs, Bilsteins, MM CC plates, 5 Lug Conversion w/ Silver Bullitts. Full accessories including smog legal. 310rwhp 351rwtq Dyno Dynamics Dyno. Soon to be supercharged
runningmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #38
90celi-lover
AF Regular

[quote=pimpmaro] In one of the latest car and drivers, they had a face off with a bunch of high level import tuners. I forgot which one one, but a bone stock corvette beat all the highly modified imports in every event. QUOTE]

haha i would like to see a vett beat a skyline... not gunna happen. ive seen a civic burn a viper and if that can happen... i higly doubt a stock vett can beat shit for modified imports. maybe the imports were stock... now that would make much more sense
90celi-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:04 PM   #39
Vetteman84
AF Newbie

Here is my advice if it means anything. I have an 87 dodge daytona on the side as my project car. At first look, it would appear to be a regular everyday P.O.S., but with the right motor and parts in it, you can get 450 horses out of it. Parts for this car are pretty cheap compared to lots of other cars. If you do go this way, my advice is get 2.2L Turbo T-II. Also another car i think is overlooked a lot is the Grand National. That's another car i would like to get and work on after the daytona.
Vetteman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #40
Stickin_It_2_Em
Banned

I have been racing (legally) cars for a while. The 2nd gen RX-7 with the B-13T motor is hands down the best. I absloutly love it. I got mine for $600. put a fully built race ready engine in it for 2K, and then I dropped another $1200 on coil ovrer suspension, and then $800 on a turbo and intercooler upgrade. I keep up with the corvettes on the track. And when I put the J-spec B-20T in it I will own the vett's. Pretty god I'll say for only having 2 little apex's. So all together $4800 on the whole thing!
Stickin_It_2_Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:01 PM   #41
runningmole
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to runningmole
Re: Re: What car to modify?

[quote=90celi-lover]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmaro
In one of the latest car and drivers, they had a face off with a bunch of high level import tuners. I forgot which one one, but a bone stock corvette beat all the highly modified imports in every event. QUOTE]

haha i would like to see a vett beat a skyline... not gunna happen. ive seen a civic burn a viper and if that can happen... i higly doubt a stock vett can beat shit for modified imports. maybe the imports were stock... now that would make much more sense
Go out to your local AutoX or Open Track day. You'd be surprised what a stock Corvette can do. And Skyline vs Corvette is Apples to Oranges. But ZO6 is a Corvette. ZO6>Skyline. And a modded car had better beat a stock one (unless that modded car is a foxbody Mustang, the Mustang will probably still lose )
Blue/Titanium 2tone, 5spd, 3.55s, JBA ceramic shorties, catted H-pipe, dumped Magnaflows, MSD goodies, FMS alum rad, Pro50, balanced/blueprinted forged 327 stroker (8.2 compression), AFR 185s, Performer RPM, 70mm TB, FTI custom cam, SFC, In-floor Subframes, Maximum Motorsports Torque Arm and Panhard Bar, H&R Springs, Bilsteins, MM CC plates, 5 Lug Conversion w/ Silver Bullitts. Full accessories including smog legal. 310rwhp 351rwtq Dyno Dynamics Dyno. Soon to be supercharged
runningmole is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical