Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
wilbglc
AF Newbie

Speedo Gear Help

I have a 1979 Chevy Monte Carlo with a Turbo 350, a 1000 revolution per mile speedometer, 26" (215-70R-15) diameter tires, and 2:73 rear axle ratio. The problem I have is the drive gear that goes into the tailshaft of the tranny is missing. Every website I visit assumes that you have some sort of gear already in there and they can help you figure out how to change it to get the proper reading. I just need to know what gear I need to buy in the first place. I would also like to know what calculations are used to figure this out as I plan to change the rear tire size in the future to something in the 255 60R size range. Thanks.
wilbglc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
72chevelleOhio
AF Enthusiast

Re: Speedo Gear Help

I used to go to a local tranny shop when I lost a clip or spring or whatever. They would just give me the little parts......maybe your local shop will just give you a gear.....then if you had to order the correct one you have something to go by, and you can tell them how far your speedo is off..
72chevelleOhio is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars