Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
rednblackgemi
AF Newbie

battery voltage fluctuation

symptoms:starter will not crank motor. battery shows 12.5volts under no load, say 4 example if i put a blinker on the batt. vol. reads 10.xx/9.xx in time w/ the flash.is this normal or is the battery, whilst showing 12.5 volts, stuffed in some other way? i had a mate try jumping the gemi with his landcruiser this morning and it still seemed as though not enough juice for starter: slow crank cutting out after a couple of seconds.i replaced the starter thinking it was the problem but now ...?i guess what i need to find out is if this points to a short somewhere or a stuffed battery.i hotwired across from batt. to switch terminal on solenoid for same result which i think eliminates the ignition switch circuit as a cause?
'81 TE gemini g161 5-sp. stock
rednblackgemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:16 AM   #2
rednblackgemi
AF Newbie

Re: battery voltage fluctuation

thanx for the replies(!) well i decided the battery was stuffed, after charging the hell out of it it would start the car, just. even showing
'good" voltage and the lil colour condition indicator bein what it should. so i have learnt sumthin about batteries: u need the amps, not just the volts!!! now just gotta replace upper balljoints and bog a couple of holes and put the opel motor in...lol it was kinda good i replaced the starter motor as well cos i found a sheared engine mount in the process. anyway , bonza!!!
p.s strewth!!!
rednblackgemi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > General Discussion