Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
DjFreakquency
AF Newbie

The future of Holden in Australia

I heard somewhere that Holden is going bust, is this true?
DjFreakquency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:21 AM   #2
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

No. In fact, they are playing a role in GM's revised rwd plans.

GM reverses course, says revised version of Zeta rear-drive architecture is back on track

Automotive News

9/12/05

DETROIT - Six months after General Motors halted plans to use its Zeta rear-wheel-drive car architecture in North America, the company has revived the program.

In an interview with Automotive News last week, Jim Queen, GM's vice president of global engineering, said a revised version of Zeta is back on track.

Engineered at GM's Holden subsidiary in Australia, Zeta was expected to be the basis of the next-generation Pontiac Grand Prix and GTO; the Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo and a new version of the Camaro; and other vehicles. Vehicles in the program were expected to debut as early as 2006.

Queen did not discuss vehicles on the new version of Zeta or timing. Some vehicles that could be in the Zeta program include the next-generation Pontiac GTO as well as a Chevrolet coupe and sedans. They could debut by the 2009 or 2010 model year, say one company source and one industry analyst.

Queen said initial plans for Zeta stretched the architecture beyond its limits for some North American vehicles. "We needed to reassess and reconfigure the program," he said.

"As we started counting who was in and who was out of Zeta, we realized too late" that Zeta would not work in North America, Queen said.

Part of GM's reasoning in slowing Zeta's development was to focus on pulling forward its full-sized SUVs and pickups. GM's next-generation SUVs will debut early next year.

At the time, GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz wrote on GM's FastLane blog that GM had "canceled … plans to build rear-wheel-drive vehicles off the Zeta architecture."

"But that does not mean we've canceled plans to build rear-drive vehicles altogether," Lutz wrote. "We are simply reallocating resources (human and financial) to pull some other programs ahead and get other vehicles to market sooner."

The revised Zeta program is being developed in GM's Australian engineering center. The vehicle line executive on the program is Gene Stefanyshyn, the former vehicle line executive for GM's Epsilon, or mid-sized cars, in North America.

A GM spokesman said no product plans have been approved and that GM still is studying design themes, performance characteristics and variants for Zeta vehicles.

GM uses the term "architecture" to signify a common set of components, performance characteristics, a common manufacturing process, a range of dimensions and connecting points for key component systems.
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
DjFreakquency
AF Newbie

Re: The future of Holden in Australia

Thanks for the info,
Doesn’t Holden use foreign parts and are they teamed up with other car companies?
I don’t understand how Holden works e.g. Pontiac, chev what do they have to do with Holden.

I like the look of the gto
DjFreakquency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:23 AM   #4
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Holden uses V-8 engines and Tremec transmissions made in the U.S. HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) is their performance line.

Holden was originally independent but is now a subsidiary of General Motors.

Holden began as Holden's Motor Body Builders Ltd., a coachbuilder that made bodies to suit a number of chassis imported from different manufacturers, but particularly Chevrolet. It was purchased by General Motors in 1931 and became General Motors–Holden's Ltd. In 1998, it was renamed Holden Ltd and in May 2005, it became known as GM Holden Ltd.

http://www.hsv.com.au/index_new.asp
Old 02-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Wiggums
AF Newbie

In Saudi Arabia, I saw them driving LHD Caprices. I also saw some in Australia last week - they're similar, nothing like the Caprices in North America. If they can do it in LHD configuration, I'm sure they will eventually import them into USA. The Commodores are similar to Opel Omegas in Germany, and Cadillac Catera or CTS in USA except they're a bit wider.

I would love to see a Holden Commodore with a 'Vette engine. They have them down there, but I can't imagine these poor beasts enduring the barbaric and rigorously-enforced 110 km/h limit down in Australia!
Wiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
hako
AF Regular

My neighbour in Townsville (northern Australia) has a "SS" Commodore with the Corvette motor and it is frightening to drive as you can just lay rubber all the way past any speed limit. By the way, in the Northern Territory there is NO speed limit out of town whilst elsewhere the max is 110 (with 10% leeway) but that doesn't stop my neighbour. I have an ex-cop V6 Commodore which also goes very well but pales to insignificance compared to the "SS"
hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

^ no speed limits,.........WOW!
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggums
Cadillac Catera or CTS in USA except they're a bit wider.
The Cadillac CTS uses an all-new Sigma chassis. Only the Cadillac CTS, STS, and SRX use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I would love to see a Holden Commodore with a 'Vette engine.
Don't they already use the new LS2?

The 2006 Corvette Z06's 505 hp LS7 is hand-built and uses dry-sump lubrication.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
Wiggums
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar D-Type
The Cadillac CTS uses an all-new Sigma chassis. Only the Cadillac CTS, STS, and SRX use it.

Don't they already use the new LS2?

The 2006 Corvette Z06's 505 hp LS7 is hand-built and uses dry-sump lubrication.
There has to be an Opel equivalent.. the CTS is made in Germany. I know Catera was similar to the Omega, not the Commodore, although all are kinda related in a way.

The Holden Commodore does use the LS2. I was referring to the LS7 engine in today's Corvette, not the older LS2. If the GTO came with four doors and the current Corvette motor, I would undoubtedly buy it. 500 ponies under the bonnet... sweet!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Show me facts that the CTS is made in Germany.

The LS2 just came out 16 months ago. The next Pontiac GTO will obviously have two doors. The new Corvette Z06's LS7 has 505 hp.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
Wiggums
AF Newbie

I am pretty sure the CTS V-6 was made in Germany. Not sure if they're still doing it, and there's no Opel equivalent in Germany that I know of, and I'm just going with the sticker on the window of a new CTS about three years ago. I do distinctly recall reading everywhere the CTS was going to be made in America. Maybe I confused it with the engine/transmission being made in Germany, but I am pretty sure it was the final assembly point.

Also, there will be a new 4-door GTO, presumably based on the Holden Commodore SS. Again, I read that somewhere and I don't recall, but it was about a month ago. In fact, right after I complained about the lack of 4-door GTO's and how I'd want to see the Commodore SS in USA.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

So are you saying the the engine and transmission for the CTS is made in Germany? If so, show proof.

Show links to info on a new GTO sedan.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > General Discussion