Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Dustoff
AF Newbie

2005 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3 stalls when heats up and will not start for 1 1/2 hrs

I was waiting for a traffic light to change when my 2005 GMC Envoy XL (Denali) with a 5.3 engine just stalled and would not start for the next hour. After approximately 1-1/2 hours the engine started and I was able to make it home. The next day my son came over and we worked to find just what was the problem. Ok, my son did the work and I just watched.

We pulled the following P codes:

P0443 Evaporative emission (EVAP) purge control circuit

P0689 Computer control system ignition relay feedback circuit low voltage

P1682 Ignition 1 switch circuit 2

P2176 Minimum throttle position not learned

With these codes in hand it was off to the dealership. These are the instructions from the dealer as what to do:

1. Check for a blown ECM 1 fuse, if ok, it may have the high resistance at its connection of
the fuse. If fuse and resistance is ok, replace the ignition module. If this does not
clear the problem, (ignition module replaced).

2. Check Purge Valve replace if necessary. (Purge Valve replaced) If this does not
clear the problem,

3. Check and replace the PCM relay, (Relay replaced) If this does not clear the
problem,

4. Replace TBS (I replaced the entire TB because my TB was of an earlier type that used
rivets to hold the sensor on and was not available)

Nothing we have done to date has corrected the problem. The entire evaporative system has been inspected and no leak can be found. After each component was changed, a test drive was done using the same route, conditions and time and the engine fails exactly at the same place every time.

Although I am far from being a qualified mechanic, but being and engineer tells me a component is being adversely effected by the engine hear or heating up electrically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dustoff; 05-27-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Dustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2005 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3 stalls when heats up and will not start for 1 1/2 hrs

Does the vehicle now start?

If it does, I would have made a note of the codes , cleared them, then started the vehicle and see what codes came back....

If it won't start, the best time to analyze a vehicle is when it won't start....check fuel pressure, spark, and injector pulse...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
Dustoff
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3 stalls when heats up and will not start for 1 1/2 hrs

Tech II:

Yes it does start, but after driving for about 30 minutes, it stalls or if you shut it down will not start for about 1-1/2. The same codes as above come up.

Last edited by Dustoff; 05-27-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added name
Dustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

OK then, diagnosis begins with the no start.....I assume it cranks over and doesn't fire?

Let it run for half an hour, shut it off, and then try to restart.....if it doesn't:

1.Check for spark on all cylinders....

2. Check fuel pressure......

3. check for injector pulse......if spark and fuel pressure are ok, take some carb cleaner and spray it into the intake then try to start the vehicle......if it starts or almost starts, you know you have a fuel delivery problem, where the injectors are not firing....

When it runs, approx before it will stall, is the charging system doing it's job? A low voltage problem can be the cause of a couple of those codes....

And while you have checked P codes, you also have to check for B and C codes, which most scanners and code readers can't do.....

And unfortunately, proper diagnosis involves using a Tech II,a GM scan tool, which the average person, or tech would not have....this tool would tell you if there was a communication with a module at startup.......it certainly does sound like there is something like a module that heats up and then shuts down......and sometimes it can be a wiring connection to a module that causes the same thing, which can be a bear to find sometimes...

I am amazed that the dealership gave you that much information, for free?

Without the proper tools and diagnosis, though, you are just becoming a parts changer, which can become expensive.......

At some point, you will have to bite the bullet and give it to the dealership....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Envoy