Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
GT11
AF Newbie

Remote starter for '95 Roadmaster

I'm looking to buy a remote starter for my 95 Roadmaster. In our area we have
a Circiut City and Best buy. I have been looking at the plain jane Viper remote at Best buy for about $200.00. After calling Best buy they informed me that an extra hundred or something for additional cost of install and another pile of money for a module of some sort.
My question; which basic models are best? How easy or hard is it to install your self? What and why are these additional parts needed? Constructive comments always welcomed...

Thanks

GT
GT11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
bennylw
AF Newbie

Re: Remote starter for '95 Roadmaster

Hi,
I just installed an Autopage RS900 (two way alarm system with remote starter up to 1 mile reach) in my RMW -95. I plan to bring order to my photos of the project that could be helpful. I did install it myself since the cost for installation here in Sweden would be more than the alarm itself ($220).
There is not too hard to install by yourself but it isn´t done quick´n´easy.

This is a basic, from top of the head, list of what You need to do it (I hope I can make a more comprehensive thread about my installation with pics within a week)

* vehicle electrics skill, You have to remember that the PCM is more sensitive to shorting than older conventional systems. You can´t just probe a cable and testground it to see what happens. There are also considerations when tapping into some of the cables directly connected to the PCM.
* circuit diagram of the electrics (Haynes Repair Manual will suffice, it has some minor errors because it covers Roadmaster/Caprice/ImpalaSS in one book, but it was enough for me)
* soldering tool preferred rather than crimping connections. Heatshrink tubing is also recommended.
* TIME! It took me a couple of days of concentrated work to find and test which cables to use.
* The remote start is a feature that need attention to safety precautions, like park/neutral sensing. You have to be absolutely shure that the remote starter only works when You want it to and don´t interfere with the original starter system

About extra modules
For my alarm/remote start I just needed a couple of standard 12V relays to make it work. I suspect that one module the dealer talked about was the bypass module for the VATS system, but all You really need is a relay and a resistor with the same value as the pellet in Your ignition key.
Another possible module is extra relays needed for the starter for instance, it needs to handle some amps to drive the solenoid. My alarm had microrelays built in for many of the functions so I didn´t need anything but a few std relays as mentioned.
I´ll show the schematics for the bypass system in my upcoming thread.

This was some quick thoughts but I hope it helps You forward. It´s quite fun to see peoples reaction at a parking space when the car starts by itself!

As one of Your senators would say (if You´re American, of course...):
"I´ll be back!"

Last edited by bennylw; 05-02-2008 at 12:37 PM.
bennylw is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster