Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
Wes Moran
AF Regular

Can u import an Opel to the US?

Ok we have owned an Opel GT for many years so this tells me that at one time they were imported to the US, but I've seen on cardomain.com where a couple ppl said they wish they could get them in the US. So does this mean that they are not imported or are they just hard to find here?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:33 AM   #2
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: Can u import an Opel to the US?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes Moran
Ok we have owned an Opel GT for many years so this tells me that at one time they were imported to the US, but I've seen on cardomain.com where a couple ppl said they wish they could get them in the US. So does this mean that they are not imported or are they just hard to find here?
The early 1970s Opel GT ("mini-Corvette") was actually imported to the US and sold by Buick. They're rare when compared to a Chevrolet Chevelle or Ford Pinto of the same time frame...but they're not all that uncommon.

If you wanted to import one, it probably wouldn't be too difficult because of its age. It would probably be a much better buy if you found one already here since the actual importation of the car would probably cost you the same as an average condition GT already in the States. Try starting your search from www.hmn.com.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
Wes Moran
AF Regular

Ok.

Ok. Personaly I hate the GT. What I was wondering is are there any Opel dealerships here, or can u find the newer Opels(Astra,Vectra,Kaddet) for sale here or is there not that many ppl that own them here?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:06 PM   #4
Hudson
Old Mod

It's nearly impossible to import a car that's not sold in the US. The Opels that were sold here were sold through Buick dealers and the last ones sold here were in the 1970s.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:29 AM   #5
tigermiata
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Hudson
It's nearly impossible to import a car that's not sold in the US. The Opels that were sold here were sold through Buick dealers and the last ones sold here were in the 1970s.
That's sad.

I recall lamenting the end of importation of "true, German-built" Opels at the end of the 1975 model year; the later "Japels", badge-engineered Isuzu Geminis, just didn't seem to cut it.

In UK magazines I remember drooling over the mid-1970's Opel Kadett GTE, a "rally special" bounding over dirt berms in true Opel built-like-a-tank fashion, and knowing we'd never see them here.

Even limiting myself to cars old enough not to need a Maryland state smog-check (1977 model year or eariler), I could think of quite a few foreign cars never imported I'd like to see in my driveway -- and many of the modestly priced.
2005 Acura RSX Type S
tigermiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
omegasky
AF Enthusiast

alleluya1

Last edited by omegasky; 08-09-2003 at 04:30 PM.
omegasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
sl-class
AF Newbie

in germany there are companies who imports cars from the usa (buick, cadillac, chevrolet, etc.) to europe. maybe there are some companies in usa, too, which imports europe cars (opel, skoda, seat, etc.) to usa
sl-class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:42 AM   #8
KingCalibra
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to KingCalibra Send a message via AIM to KingCalibra Send a message via MSN to KingCalibra Send a message via Yahoo to KingCalibra
US Spec Conversions

I currently live in Germany and own a Euro spec car, And to my knowledge your CAN bring a euro spec car back to the states.

If it's more than 20 years old, it's exempt from US EPA Standards, but not DOT safety standards, (5 mph bumpers, Tempered Glass, etc.) But if it's more than 25 years old, it's exempt from those also.

There are also firms stateside that perform US Spec conversions, but these tend to be VERY expensive from what I've been told. I'm still looking for one of these firms myself, but I do know that they exist. If someone knows where such a place exists, or a website with more info on this matter, PLEASE e-mail me or contact me any way you can.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kingcalbira69

Last edited by KingCalibra; 11-04-2004 at 01:09 PM.
KingCalibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Willskyline
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Willskyline

I've been watching DTM, german touring car races, for years. I really enjoy watching the Opels, Mercedes, and Audis fly around the track. It was the first time I was exposed to Opel. I have to say, after doing a bit of homework, I'm sad that these cars are unavailable in the states. I read a report back in March that said GM was seriously considering introducing Opels in the U.S. under the Saturn badge. Aparently GM has finally figured out that Saturn has a less than desirable reputation as far as quality and sophistication. Interim GM Europe chief Bob Lutz told Germany's WirtschaftsWoche, "Right now we're looking into, among other things, whether Opel conforms to American specifications and where changes might be necessary." Opel is pressuring GM to consider the move. It considers VW's much better sales as a reflection of a combination of the American and European markets. My only concern is, obviously, the severe tuning down most Euro cars get coming over here to the states. I suggest you call GM and give them the old 'consumer feedback'. Let them know that Opel would be welcomed in the US, if it was still an Opel in it's soul, so to speak.
As far as importing from germany, running the risk of repeating what others have said, I have heard it's very pricy. I'll be sure to post if I can find a good US firm that would be willing to do the transfer and tune down.
Willskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:11 PM   #10
KingCalibra
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to KingCalibra Send a message via AIM to KingCalibra Send a message via MSN to KingCalibra Send a message via Yahoo to KingCalibra
Lightbulb Re: US Spec Conversions

Really the only models getting imported to the us are the ones currently available, even though Mercedes is getting ready to start importing the Smart line of cars to the U.S. and Canadian markets. There have been a few cars in the past that have been "Badge Engineered" for the U.S. market (I.E. the Cadillac Catera in all actuality is really a pimped-out Opel Omega)

Go here and see for yourself!

http://www.conceptcarz.com/folder/ve...ehicleTypeID=0
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kingcalbira69
KingCalibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:23 AM   #11
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
AF Regular

VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

Vehicles acquired in foreign countries other than the U.S. and designed, built, tested and certified to meet either all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or all applicable United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and bearing a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, as required by the Regulations, may be eligible for importation into Canada provided the vehicle has not been altered and the certification from the original manufacturer is maintained. Please contact Transport Canada, Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate, at 1-613-998-8616 for further information.
MoNsTeR`ImPaLa is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > General Discussion