Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
sprite46cfk
AF Newbie

Paint Stripping Resin Parts

I wasn't pleased with one resin wheel in a set that I painted with Tamiya primer and TS aluminum so I stripped it in brake fluid. The paint was easily removed in 48 hours, however it seems that the resin was affected by the brake fluid. The resin now has a soft, tacky feel to it and is somewhat flexible such that you can deform the rim with a bit of pressure. It certainly is not what is was prior to stripping. I have stripped resin before using brake fluid and have not experienced this issue.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any thoughts on a remedy or is the piece unusable?

Thanks, Chuck
sprite46cfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
RonCla
AF Regular

Re: Paint Stripping Resin Parts

I was always advised to steer clear of brake fluid when stripping paint off resin due to the effect it can have.
I had a similar issue with a resin part going soft and rubbery when using Isopropyl alcohol. I gave it a thorough wash then set it aside in a warm spot and over time it became hard again by itself.
RonCla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RonCla For This Useful Post:
sprite46cfk (04-10-2016)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling