Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
irgmfan
AF Newbie

2000 Olds Silhouette Front AC Warm

My 2000 Olds Silhouette front AC is warm but the rear is cold. I've replaced the compressor, (Due to a Leak) the expansion valve/orifice tube and the dryer. I checked the fresh air actuator and it is working properly. It point to the evaporator but what can go wrong with it if it is not leaking? Any help is appreciated. Is there a second expansion valve/orifice tube for the rear? I know it is not the problem it just seems like there should be one.
irgmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
irgmfan
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Olds Silhouette Front AC Warm

I figured it out, I replaced the evaporator and was able to get the right amount of freon in. When the rear air unit fan was on the readings were mis-leading. With it off the pressures were low. After adding more freon the system started acting right. I'm not sure if the evaporator was bad are not but it seemed to help once it was replaced. If you've never changed an evaporator on one of these vehicles, It is a big job. The dash has to come out in order to get the unit out. My Haynes manual was useless for this project, I guess this isn't your typical DIY project.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
merc81
AF Enthusiast

That's a really major effort. Did you happen to take any photos or can you recall enough about the job to post a how-to summary? Thank goodness I don't need to consider that right now, but it would be good to hear of your experience for future needs.
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

I would never change an evaporator without leak confirmation---so how do you know you have fixed the leak- was the old evap oily/greasy- or covered with dye???
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
blueshirt
AF Newbie

I just bought a 2000 Sillhouette and the AC issues have been non stop. First rear ac was warm. A crimped expansion tube was the culprit. Then the front ac gets warm... first the left side then right then the back I am assuming because the freon was slowly leaking. They replaced the bottom side port 3 times then dye tested everything then said that the compressor was the only thing they could see leaking. replaced the compressor... same thing... works for a day then the front gets warm, again, starting from the drivers side then the passenger then the back. Any suggestions?
blueshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
irgmfan
AF Newbie

I'm a little late getting back to answer these questions but "brcidd" your probably right on the evap. I followed the wrong lead. I didn't find any evidence of issues with the evap but once I was in there I wasn't about to put the old one back in. The big thing was charging with the rear fan off, that helped alot. I actually just had to put another compressor on this vehicle. Apparently I got a bum reman. We learn from our mistakes. "merc81" I never thought of pictures at the time I was ripping this thing apart but it is a pretty straight forward job. My biggest mistake was trying to avoid taking thing off. You just have to face it all as to go. Once I pulled the fiber glass front I was able to loosen the steel beam reinforcement and pull it back enough to get the HVAC unit out. The steering column gets taken loose and lay it down out of the way. It is almost has hard to get to the firewall behind the engine as it is to get to the inside. I'd do it again if I had reason to but I wouldn't look forward to it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette