Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
Niliar
AF Newbie

L200 Tail Lights Not Working

Hi, new here, searched real quick for this and had no luck so figured i'd ask..anyway.

Recently purchased a 2001 L200 and last night a friend following me noticed that my tail lights were not on. Knob inside is turned all the way up, hazards, signals, backup lights, license plate lights...all work and the brake lights illuminate when I press the brake but tail lights don't seem to come on at all. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Niliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Re: L200 Tail Lights Not Working

are these auto headlights? if so try the manual override(stupid GM).

there is a chance all the bulbs are burned out, or the fuse is blown(if so the sidemarkers and parking lights maybe out too). if the bulbs and fuses are good, buy a $5 test light and check for power to the bulb socket, then follow the wire until you find the problem.
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
Chriznat20@msn.com
AF Regular

This is a very very very common problem with the L Series. The only thing to solve the problem (usually) is buying a new tail light assembly. DO NOT BUY USED, they all have the same problem. Ive had the same problem with our L Series 3x now and I see it everyday on L's in the area.
Chriznat20@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
DORAGIRL
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 LS1. I have replaced brake lights at least 3x too. This will be my 4th time, (I currently have one out). It nuts. I have never heard off brake lights going out so often. My car only has 36,000 miles on it. Does anyone know why? And why cant I just replace the bulb why does it have to be the entire brake light assembly?
DORAGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #5
carguy83
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to carguy83

umm
check your brake switch located above the brake pedal under the dash. the wires could be faulty as well giving them too much power and frying the bulbs

1991 Blue Subaru Legacy Wagon -- RIP Aug 05

1995 White Mazda 626 DX -- RIP Feb 07

1991 Black Volkswagen Jetta Carat -- Current
carguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
ritahoward
AF Newbie

i had the same problem....it needed a new tail assembly....a parts dealer also confirmed what someone said above: this is a common problem with the L200
ritahoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
JUMPER5M
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Taillight fix is FREE, Avoid Stealerships

Hey Guys, Sorry to break some hearts. My Saturn Taillights were not working, specifically the passenger side. Dealer told me I would have to buy a whole new assembly. I decided to wait and check into it further since stealerships usually try to make a buck. What I found out is that the taillight assembly is merely a series of cheap metal contacts. Over time these wear down and dont connect, no connection=no electricity=no lights. Easy fix is to remove the bulb holder by turning then pulling, as if you were going to replace the light bulb. Take a small screwdriver and bend all contacts on the light bulb holder away from the plastic, reinsert and all of a sudden they work again. Amazing what electrical contacts do. Save your $90 and fix it the easy way, adjust the contacts. Thanks for your ears, hopefully this helps.
JUMPER5M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #8
Andy4
AF Newbie

My backup lights don't work on my 2004 Chevy Express Van after disconnecting my backup alarm. No matter WHAT I've tried I cannot fix it. Any help out there?
Andy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
crcendo
AF Newbie

Re: Taillight fix is FREE, Avoid Stealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMPER5M
Hey Guys, Sorry to break some hearts. My Saturn Taillights were not working, specifically the passenger side. Dealer told me I would have to buy a whole new assembly. I decided to wait and check into it further since stealerships usually try to make a buck. What I found out is that the taillight assembly is merely a series of cheap metal contacts. Over time these wear down and dont connect, no connection=no electricity=no lights. Easy fix is to remove the bulb holder by turning then pulling, as if you were going to replace the light bulb. Take a small screwdriver and bend all contacts on the light bulb holder away from the plastic, reinsert and all of a sudden they work again. Amazing what electrical contacts do. Save your $90 and fix it the easy way, adjust the contacts. Thanks for your ears, hopefully this helps.

I tried doing this, and I could not get it to work on my 2000 LS2 V6...
Whenever I have the running lights on the brake lights don't work.

Well, off to the dealer to see about replacements units.
crcendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Re: Re: L200 Tail Lights Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4
My backup lights don't work on my 2004 Chevy Express Van after disconnecting my backup alarm. No matter WHAT I've tried I cannot fix it. Any help out there?
this should be moved to the chevy forums

stock or aftermarket alarm?

how many wires did the alarm have?

have you check the fuse?

do you have a multimeter?
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
crcendo
AF Newbie

I replaced the tail lights and the problem was fixed...
and yes... they are definitely aware of the problem.

thanks
crcendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
jcaamason
AF Newbie

on all 2000 to 2003 I believe there is a recall on the tail lights. You need to get the vin from the car and call the dealer. They will tell you what recalls is on the car. On my 2000 car they replaced the engine control module and installed some kind of brackets on the tail lights. I have not had to replace any more tail lights.
jcaamason is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW