Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 04:06 PM   #16
Laser17
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Laser17
Re: 99 Intrigue burning oil

I just took my car the dealership today for an oil leak, they said its leaking heavily from the Intake Manifold Gaskets, and there is clearly a puddle under the car every day, I'm losing about 1/2 quart every week, and they want to charge me 750 dollars to fix the leak, since the car only has 65k on it i'm gonna do it, but can anyone tell me if this is a little overpriced to fix the intake manifold gaskets on a 3.8?
Laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #17
medicdave
AF Newbie

My 99 GL with 75K on the 3.5L burns 2-3 quarts between changes. I run Mobil 1, so it's thinner than conventional oil. I've been thinking about switching to one of the oils advertised as "high mileage" - is this worth doing, or marketing hype?

A friend of mine used to work at a chevy dealer, and a mechanic friend of his had a theory on why the shortstar (and the northstar V8 as well) tend to use so much oil... The guy theorized that the piston rings have gaps in them to allow for expansion. He said if these gaps are close to each other (or even aligned) in terms of their rotational position, then oil will tend to seep through (and into the combustion chamber) more quickly.

Not sure if there is any credibility to this theory. I do tend to subscribe to the "what leaks out must hit the floor" principle, though, so I have trouble accepting that my engine is leaking if there are no spots underneath it.

At any rate, I check the oil every time I fill up the gas tank, which is pretty frequently since I never let the gas tank go below half, and fill up PRN (as needed)...

[medic]Dave
medicdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 PM   #18
TLgunner
AF Newbie

I concur with medicdave. We have an '01 Intrigue GLS w/ 3.5L with 48K miles and it used to consume oil when I used Mobil 1 in it. Northstars (on which this engine is based) are notorious for burning oil and I also think it's a design issue (I won't say "flaw"). The ring packs are designed in such a way that they tend to plug up if they are driven sedately; these motors were designed to be driven hard and if you do so you'll keep the ring packs clean. I've found that using a heavier oil reduces oil consumption quite a bit too. When I used 0W-30 Mobil 1, the car burned a little over a quart in about 2000 miles. Now that I use 0W-30 GC, I don't have to add any more than a half a quart over 5000 miles.

Keep the motor clean and "exercised" and it'll serve you well.
TLgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #19
rangerdoc
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlangeveld
Some engine designs are more prone to burning oil than others--especially once they get older.

A simple thing you can try is switching to a thicker oil. I would try topping off the oil with 10w40 or 5w40 (some of those Deisel/Gas oils like Shell Rotella or Delo work great and you can find them at Walmart). Also, some people have had success with high mileage oils, which can recondition seals and burn off less easily--Castrol GTX high mileage is a good one.

Just because the engine is using oil does not necessarily mean it is going to die anytime soon.
I have a 2000 Intrigue and we bought it used at 30,000 miles. Had to have the transmission rebuilt right away. It also uses oil, no drips, no smells. Not exactly sure how much it goes through it's always at least 2 quarts low at every oil change (3,000 miles or so). If I let the car go more than 3,000 miles before I get it in for an oil change I get a "low oil" check light. We've been driving it over 50,000 miles this way, we just try to keep a good eye on the oil level. Now with tranmission problems again (only 50,000 miles later) we are probably going to trade it in. I really like the car otherwise, but I know two or three other Olds owners in town (not all Intrigues but late-models like mine) have the same types of problems. It's frustrating, making high car payments AND having the vehicle nickel and dime us to death.
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #20
Christine10tothe10
AF Newbie

I just wanted to say hello to all of you other Intrigue owners. I have been amused reading all the weird problems you have. I am new to this forum and I don't have much experience with cars. I've had to take the reigns due to life changes and the mechanics I find are baffeled! My Intrigue has automatic headlights that go on when they feel like it, it drinks oil, the rear speakers worked intermittently until going out all together. The heat goes on and off at will, shocks have been replaced several times (I do drive it like I stole it though)! I've searched and have had many of the things mentioned looked at and the problems persist. I'm learning and hope to fix it myself or at least not be taken advantage of! Thanks for the laughs and in advance for advice.
Christine10tothe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #21
djc937
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 olds intrigue 3.5 twin cam i had this issue also i came to find out that it was the rear valve cover it is almost impossible to see but if you look in the back of the engine on the passenger side you might be able to see it will look like caked on grease it is common in the intrigues and run about 200 to 300 dollars to have both front and rear valve cover gaskets done depending on were you live and bring your car or just keep adding oil and check it once a week
djc937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Guys....

Check the dates of the posts....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
dmchrist
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Guys....

Check the dates of the posts....
Although the posts are 'dated' in my opinion and obviously another Intrugue owner are still relevant.

The oil 'burning/useing' has been an issue for me for a very long time and I just keep it full.
dmchrist is offline   Reply With Quote