Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
danpletch
AF Newbie

Full suspension replacement

Details: '98 Olds ~157k miles.
The front suspension creaks like an old rocking chair when you go over dips and bumps at any speed. Has anybody changed out the front struts and the rear shocks that likes their new ride quality? If so, what brand did you use, OEM, Monroe, etc? Did you replace fronts only, rears only, or both? Milage and cost please if you can remember.
danpletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Cressidaadr
AF Regular

Re: Full suspension replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpletch
Details: '98 Olds ~157k miles.
The front suspension creaks like an old rocking chair when you go over dips and bumps at any speed. Has anybody changed out the front struts and the rear shocks that likes their new ride quality? If so, what brand did you use, OEM, Monroe, etc? Did you replace fronts only, rears only, or both? Milage and cost please if you can remember.
I just replaced the rear shocks a week ago and used the Monroe air shocks. I can recommend them and they cost about $60 for the pair. You can expect problems with the lower bolt (18mm) as it may be rusted to the shock bushing like mine were. I had to cut the bolt off on one side and that added well over an hour to the job as I tried everything to get it off with no luck. I should have just cut it off sooner. I think only one of my shocks was bad but I had 135k miles so did them both.

I haven't done the front struts yet but they look to be a real pain to get to the 3 top nuts. I would be interested in what you learn if you do the front and how much improvement you notice.

I think I would get the complete strut unit (~$170) as that way you get a new mount and cushions. However I would like to learn what others have experienced with the ride quality after using these complete units. Don't cheap out and not do the mount at the same time as I have done that in the past and regretted it a year or so later when I had to replace them later.
Cressidaadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
cadman1987
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cressidaadr
I just replaced the rear shocks a week ago and used the Monroe air shocks. I can recommend them and they cost about $60 for the pair. You can expect problems with the lower bolt (18mm) as it may be rusted to the shock bushing like mine were. I had to cut the bolt off on one side and that added well over an hour to the job as I tried everything to get it off with no luck. I should have just cut it off sooner. I think only one of my shocks was bad but I had 135k miles so did them both.

I haven't done the front struts yet but they look to be a real pain to get to the 3 top nuts. I would be interested in what you learn if you do the front and how much improvement you notice.

I think I would get the complete strut unit (~$170) as that way you get a new mount and cushions. However I would like to learn what others have experienced with the ride quality after using these complete units. Don't cheap out and not do the mount at the same time as I have done that in the past and regretted it a year or so later when I had to replace them later.
A complete and total pain would be more like it. I replaced the front complete unit on my 2000 Premier last year around 150k. I have small hands and could barely get to the nuts. Be prepared to have the wife, kid or someone with small fingers to help you out. It's a real fun time putting the new ones in and getting the nuts back on also. The ride quality has been fine, but the front does sit a little lower now, I lightly scrape pulling into the driveway now if I don't hit it at an angle, didn't do that before.
cadman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
merc81
AF Enthusiast

cadman1987, what kind of complete unit did you purchase for your premier? I changed out the strut and bearing + plate but kept the original spring. That made the whole front end feel much more stable but of course with the same spring, the height didn't change at all.
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
cadman1987
AF Newbie

I bought a complete unit. Strut, spring and all from Advance or Oreilly's, can't remember which. I didn't want to mess with compressing the spring, and the extra cost was not that much. I though it might also save me some time, but it still took awhile.

I don't remember the brand, I think I still have the boxes at home if someone wants to know.
cadman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
danpletch
AF Newbie

merc81,
What type of brand did you use? Also, did you replace the strut as well or just the parts you listed above?
Keep the info rolling. It just helps everybody.
I'm thinking of replacing all the parts I can from Napa since they are reputable and pretty reliable. The rest of the parts I'll source from the dealer. I usually do all the work myself with a little help here and there from some friends who have the time / space / or occational special tool that I might need. It usually ends up being quality time with my buddies.

danpletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
merc81
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpletch
merc81,
What type of brand did you use? Also, did you replace the strut as well or just the parts you listed above?
Keep the info rolling. It just helps everybody.
I'm thinking of replacing all the parts I can from Napa since they are reputable and pretty reliable. The rest of the parts I'll source from the dealer. I usually do all the work myself with a little help here and there from some friends who have the time / space / or occational special tool that I might need. It usually ends up being quality time with my buddies.

I used Napa parts. My goal was to replace the strut, not the spring. I found when I had it removed that the bearing plate was rusted so I replaced it and the bearing. The Napa struts fit right up, no problem. The issue was with the bearing plate. I've put this in several posts but I'll mention it again.
The bearing costs about $32 dollars. The bearing with the plate costs about $28 dollars ?? These are two separate items in the same box. Anyway, the plate from Napa does not quite fit. One of the vans I changed out was a 99 olds with rear air leveling shocks. The other was a 99 venture without the air system. Napa parts books show these as two separate plates. The air leveling system uses the more expensive plate with the angle tilt. The one they stock is $28 bucks with bearing as I said. The one they don't stock is $128 without bearing. I've looked at both--they are almost the same except for the slight angle on the more expensive one. Use a dremel tool and you can make the cheaper, in stock plate fit perfectly. I've got some photos of this on another post here, just do a search on my posts.

Hope this helps.
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette