Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
dorlow
AF Regular

How can I change the aux cig lighter outlet to be switched with the key?

I just purchased a 2013 Chevy Silverado truck. It has two cigarette lighter things on the dash. But, they both appear to be always on. I don't want to leave stuff plugged in and end up with a dead battery. Does anyone have a quick, easy, and least invasive way to change one so it's switched with the ignition on/off?

I was just looking it up and thinking maybe I could use a fuse tap to tap into a switched fuse.. but don't really see the point of that. Seems just as easy to just remove the fuse block and then cut the wire to the non-fused aux power and tap it in from a switched fuse to the newly cut wire. Either way, I'd have to remove the fuse block to cut the wire. The fuse tap is just one less wire cut.

What would be really cool is if one of you told me there was a switched aux port that I haven't noticed yet.
dorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: How can I change the aux cig lighter outlet to be switched with the key?

Many GM vehicles use the fused BAT power circuit to also power the +12V at the OBDII interface port. You may not just be dealing with a couple convenience power outlets.

Perhaps it would be easier to simply remember to unplug phone chargers and other non-OEM equipment when exiting the vehicle - It's a little like remembering to set the parking brake. Any of you who are pilots might be thinking the same thing as I am, in that there is always a routine when entering and exiting a vehicle, and it simply becomes habit. Then again, anyone can get a drivers' license but not everyone qualifies as a pilot.

An alternative to the hacking up the fuse panel wiring and bussing could be to break into those power outlets and feed them from the orange ACC/RAP power system. There are usually junction blocks with taps to the RAP power system which would make is easier.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:00 PM   #3
dorlow
AF Regular

So, I took the dash apart and attempted to make it switched today. My attempt failed. I bought one of those fuse taps. But, I took my multimeter and checked every fuse and every fuse in the fuse box on the drivers side had power whether the key was on or off.

So, then I checked some wires right where the cigerette lighter was at. The wiring harness that goes to the traction button next to the socket was switched. It had 12 v with the key on and no voltage with the key off. So, I cut the wire to one of the sockets and then spliced the cigerette socket hot with the switched wire.

As soon as I did that and turned the key on, as long as nothing was plugged into the socket, it was fine. As soon as I plugged anything into it, all the lights started flickering.

So, I changed it back so it's hot all the time.

I'm going to change out the factory radio with an aftermarket one in a week or two. I guess that will have a usb port on it and will be switched with the radio.
dorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:34 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorlow View Post
So, I took the dash apart and attempted to make it switched today. My attempt failed. I bought one of those fuse taps. But, I took my multimeter and checked every fuse and every fuse in the fuse box on the drivers side had power whether the key was on or off.

So, then I checked some wires right where the cigerette lighter was at. The wiring harness that goes to the traction button next to the socket was switched. It had 12 v with the key on and no voltage with the key off. So, I cut the wire to one of the sockets and then spliced the cigerette socket hot with the switched wire.

As soon as I did that and turned the key on, as long as nothing was plugged into the socket, it was fine. As soon as I plugged anything into it, all the lights started flickering.

So, I changed it back so it's hot all the time.

I'm going to change out the factory radio with an aftermarket one in a week or two. I guess that will have a usb port on it and will be switched with the radio.
If the USB port in the radio even charges it is going to be an extremely slow charge. If you want a switched accessory outlet add one. Buy a outlet from a parts store, find a place to put it and wire it in.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado