Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
derka-derka
AF Newbie

Spray can vs airbrush

Im about to start my FXX and i am thinking whether to use my tamiya airbrush with x-7 red enamel or get a spray can.. I didnt have much success with my spray gun b4 cos i didnt kno how to use it prply..and the airbrush constantly blows air out and when the trigger is held paint comes out..this is annoying becos the air blowing could sometimes blow the wet paint around leaving run down marks...

but iv read thru posts and it seems airbrush is the way to go....i tried using a automotive can of spray can and did my echo body with 4-5 coats and it looked brilliant...nice and shiny...so im still thinking what should i use...and if i wanna use automotive paint for the FXX...where would i be able to get a close match of the ferrari red AKA Rosso Corsa..i live in australia...
derka-derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Spray can vs airbrush

Is your airbrush CONSTANTLY blowing air out? If i got you correctly on that point I'd suggest you get a brush wich doesn't do so. I understand that you get problems if you can't stop the air flow.
I see a lot of people do wonders with the cans and I have done some decent jobs my self but I have a qoute from an old forum friend; "Using a rattle can when modelling is like using a fire hose for watering a pot of flowers".
I'd go for the air brush.
/Joel
Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

If you already have an airbrush you might as well learn how to use it
There is a learning curve involved that we have all had to go through/are still going through but you only get through it by actually using the brush

However you might want to use your airbrush for everything else but the body this time and paint the shell with a spray can since you already feel comfortable with that.

If you do decide to airbrush the body (I'd give it a go IMHO) then I'd avoid both the Tamiya acrylics and enamels and recommend you go either with decanting Tamiya TS paints (see tutorial section), ZERO paints form Hiroboy.com (EXCELLENT auto base colors with factory colors. They need a clear coat which I personally lay down from a spray can) or try Gunze C series paints - great colors that dry quick and hard with a good gloss.

HTH

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

You could keep it simple; Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red is a near perfect match for Rosso Corsa, and you can spray it directly over the red plastic since it's a hobby paint being sprayed over the same final color (red plastic) and thus doesn't require primer. If you airbrush or prime you'll have a higher likelihood of getting dust in the paint or have more final polishing after paint because of orange peel. I've also decanted Tamiya TS paint to airbrush the intial coats, and then finished it off w/one wet coat straight from the can. Tamiya spray over unprimed plastic is great, the finish should be as smooth as you have ever seen. No need for automotive paint on this one!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
michael lambert
AF Regular

Why Decanting the paints? How is the finish going to be different coming from the spray can over the use of the airbrush?

Sorry i have not had much use of my airbrush as of yet so i really have no clue.
michael lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

Michael, you just get much better control when using an airbrush, over using a rattle can. Depending on whether its a single action or a dual action, you can either control just the amount of paint being put down, but how far you depress the trigger, or w/ a dual action, you can control both the paint applied by how far down the trigger is depressed, and the amount of air used to apply it, but how far back you pull the trigger. Overall it just allows for much greater control, and usually, but not always, you end up w/ a better final paint job.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
michael lambert
AF Regular

Cool,

I currently have a Badger style syphon unit i have been using for just general use but am still waiting on my new airbrush which i ordered now 3 weeks ago and still waiting on it.
michael lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Decanting paints gives you more control; you build up the paint in generally thinner layers. You can concentrate on certain spots, get into more nooks and crannies while a spray can generally floods a surface and mist coats are much less accurate. That said, Tamiya TS paints are pretty good at self-leveling and as lacquers each coat chemically bonds w/the undercoats, so if you are a smooth painter you can get great results straight from the spray can. Another benefit of decanting Tamiya TS sprays is the fact that I'm getting a LOT more mileage from a can of paint. I'm at the point where a single can of paint can do 3-4 models.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man

I've only ever used spray cans. Nice and quick and if done right you will end up with a nice job

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
wouter1981
AF Enthusiast

for me it all depends on how much work you want to do on a model. If you want a show winning, ultima shine an quality finish, you'll get the best results with an airbrush. But with spray cans (especialy those from tamiya) you can get a verry good finish in a minimum of time and with a lot less effort. I'm fan of both, but the more models i do, the more i tend to go for my airbrush.
wouter1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling