Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
theskyspy
AF Newbie

No Start Troubleshooting. Condensation??

I have a 99 Lumina 3.1l. I live in a cold climate (-15f). I hadn't driven the car in 2 months, and the block heater doesn't work as there is a short somewhere.

I want to get the car on the road again and before insuring it I tried to start it Friday. To its credit it started up almost right away - its always been great in the cold. I let it run for 30 minutes to heat everything up.

I insured it Saturday and went to start it and won't go. Turned over & over & over, and the engine will chug every now and then but won't catch. Its a few degrees colder than it was Friday, but not by much.

I'm looking for any thoughts. It did have just under a quarter tank of gas, so I'm wondering if it could be condensation in the fuel system somewhere that was sucked in while idling on Friday? If so I don't really know what to do about that. Or could there are other things to check/try.

I'm replacing the plug on the block heater, but don't think thats the short. I was going to drive it to the garage to have them replace the cord (as I doubt its the block heater itself) but have to get it started to do that

If anyone has any input I'm open to hearing it. I'm able to do a little more than your basic maintenance, but not really a "car guy".

Thanks
theskyspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: No Start Troubleshooting. Condensation??

1/4 tank in cold climates never good. I would add some gasoline "heet" like product for water in gas, frozen fuel lines. And couple more gallons of gas.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cold , condensation , problem , starting , troubleshooting
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina