Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #46
Hack saw
AF Newbie

Re: 1/8 Porsche 908/03

Hello Scratchbuilt,

Congratulations on the progress that you are making on your 908/3. I have been working on a 1/12 version of the 1971 Nürburgring 1000Km, Elford / Larrousse car on and off for nearly ten years so your efforts will, I hope, encourage me to get a move on with my part scratchbuilt part Tamiya based model that can be seen here:
http://www.f1m.com/main/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9530&start=0
On pages 1 and 2.

While not wanting to be negative on my first post I feel that I should question one part of your model. I refer to the positioning of the vertical cooling fan at the front of the engine, when constructing my similar model I initially put the fan on the centerline of the engine only to discover later that the drawings that I was working to from the VSRN web site here:
http://www.vsrnonline.com/Mags/MC/Vol8/V8N9/MC_V8N9_p409.jpg
were not wholly correct.

Looking at the images from these links:
Google Image Result for http://www.scheuern.com/mbhist98/images/908close.jpg

http://www.pelicanparts.com/vasekauction/908/med/DSC02051.JPG

http://www.pelicanparts.com/vasekauction/908/med/DSC02079.JPG

It would appear that the fan is offset to the passenger side of the car by a small but critical amount, I missed this originally and only detected it when I started to make the top air duct / shroud between the two rows of injection trumpets and couldn’t get a good fit around the fuel injector pump, when I looked at the photographs again it was apparent that the shroud and therefore the fan is noticeably closer to the injection trumpets on the passenger side of the engine than the trumpets on the drivers side.

My only hope is that you have evidence to the contrary and that therefore I will not have to modify the centerline mounted fan that I have built on my model.

Regards,
Hack saw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #47
ModelerSite
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to ModelerSite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchBuilt View Post
Hello!

I finally made a start on creating the main fan shroud this weekend:

I'll bulk-out the gaps with offcuts of box-section, etc, before adding large amounts of greenstuff putty to create the final shape. So far, it's working out okay...

I've also been adding a little more detail to the fuel pump and inlet manfolds / throttle slide housings:

The overhanging mounts for the throttle lever assembly were tricky - getting the angles and positioning just right was not a five-minute job! The bracket on the side of the fuel pump will be used to mount a support bar running to the oil filter housing (not shown). I couldn't resist gluing the drive-pulley in place, either. I've also made a start on the ends of throttle slides themsleves, but they're so small I don't think they'll photograph too well until everything is assembled.

That's all for now!

ScratchBuilt

AMAZING piece of work!!!!!!!, would you like to write for us?
2000-2013 Thirteen years online!
ModelerSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #48
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

...Shocking craftmanship...!

Robi
Robi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #49
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Pure modelling popcorn - I just keep wanting more, no matter how much I consume!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #50
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Another week, another update...

After bulking-out the fan shroud with box-section, I used large amounts of greenstuff modelling putty to fill the gaps; a first layer to create the overall shape, then a second thinner / smoother layer to give me something to work on with the wet'n'dry:

There are a couple of areas which need some fine filling, and the transition to the plastic base-section needs more work, but you can see what I'm trying to achieve. It looks better when the photo's the right way round...and in focus...

I needed a change of scene after all this, so it was time to start on the exhaust system:

The pipes are 100mm lengths of 3.8mm clear hose (from the aquarium section of a pet-supplies store). I used a length of 1.2mm gardening wire up the inside to allow me to create the shape I wanted - stiff enough to not snap back into place, and flexible enough that I can adjust and modify the curves as necessary. The short ali sections gather all the primary pipes together, and will allow me to make the final tail-pipe sections as seperate pieces.

The ends of the inner wires pass into the bottom of the engine, and the short sections of plastic tube will be detailed to create the mounting flanges for the pipes. The tailpipes will be made from more plastic tube and greenstuff to get the transition from four-to-two-to-one.

Ideally the exhaust pipes should be a slightly larger diameter - probably about 5 or 6mm - but this creates problems: the plastic hose won't hold the shape without a wire core, and if the wire gets any thicker it becomes much harder to work with. There's not much space to get all the bends in, so the smaller pipe size works well.

Finally, thanks for the message, Hack Saw. Yes, the main fan is slightly offset from the engine centre-line; on my model it's about 1.4mm towards the passenger-side. Not much, but enough...

Back in the real world, the racing season is just about getting started here in the UK, so next weekend I'll be off to Silverstone with the FF2000's. I'll do my best to keep the posts regular, but they might slip to mid-week.

Cheers!

ScratchBuilt
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #51
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again!

Following the last post, the exhaust pipes have had a little extra tweaking - I'll leave the rest of the system until the gearbox is in progress (just in case something gets in the way). So, I've returned to detailing the main engine parts:

More thin plasticard has been wrapped around the fan shroud to create the angled front section, with two layers of 0.5mm square styrene to make the flange detail. The fit between the front and rear sections has been adjusted to remove a small gap.

I've also fitted the last eight plug-lead ends to the distributor; now it just needs the two main leads from the ignition coils. You can also see the shaping around the front of the fan shroud from this angle.

The alternator body is another short section of till-roll, with extra plasticard detailing and a machined aluminium pulley. The electrical connections on the rear need to be added, and the drivebelt will be fitted at a later date:

The plan for this weekend is to make a start on shaping the male buck for the fibreglass bodywork - I'll need to make some drawings first, then get busy making a mess with the blue insulating foam. It's a good opportunity to get two or three solid days progress, rather than just doing an hour or so every evening. Unlike the 917-10, the body shape of the 908-03 is somewhat curvier - particularly around the nose - so there could be one or two challenges ahead...

More later!

ScratchBuilt
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #52
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Impressive! The engine looks great. can't wait to see more of this magic!
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #53
MarcoSaupe
AF Regular

Amazing 8-O
Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #54
keefr22
AF Regular

For some reason, my e-mail updates of new posts stopped for a while, so I've only just caught up with your updates, & I can't think of anything to say that hasn't been said already - this continues to be a simply magnificent piece of work! The small components like the distributor & fuel injection unit are just stunning - unbelievable to think you can create such detail from such simple materials! I do think it's cheating though, starting to use a lathe....!!!

One question, when you say that you use 'greenstuff' to bulk up the fan shroud between the formers, do you mean the MMD Squadron one part putty that comes in a tube? I use this a lot in plastic kit assembly, but find that if I use anything more than very thin layers it continues to dry for weeks or even months after the model is finished, leading to sinkage visible under the final paint. Do you not get that when using such big quantities of the filler? Or is it a different 'greenstuff'?

Keep on going, this will be an absolute masterpiece of a model!!

Keef
keefr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #55
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Amazing work!!! I saw 4 of these cars up at Road America together for the
BRIC a few years ago. One of them had a over restored fiberglass tub(all new and perfect). Amazing little cars. I like the Martini colors best myself.
You engine looks like real, other than the fact that its white plastic..

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2009 model contest and art/photography display-Chicago April 25th 2009
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #56
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hi Keef,

The 'greenstuff' I use is made by Games Workshop here in the UK - it's a two-part modelling putty (mix together the yellow and blue and you get green...) It goes off surprisingly quickly, even in large quantities - you don't get problems with the top surface going solid, only for it to be squishy below. I've used some Humbrol model filler in the past, and know exactly what you mean! It doesn't eat into the plastic, either, so for my purposes it's ideal.

And yes, I have a twinge of guilt whenever I use the lathe...

Cheers!

ScratchBuilt
Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #57
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Utterly marvelous update, as ever Scratchbuilt! I was also assuming it was the nasty Squadron stuff too! May have to try some of the Games Workshop stuff out now. Do you ever use ordinary bondo/polyester filler? I've had some success with Dolphin Glaze. Goes on thinner than the usual car body filler so you can smooth it on nicely.
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #58
nicecar
AF Enthusiast

my lord, 1/8? these things are getting bigger and so much more detailed. Why didnt you just scratchbuild the 1:1?

Great work!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #59
keefr22
AF Regular

Thanks for the reply on the putty Scratchbuilt! I'll have to try some of that, never got on with Miliput for some reason! I thought it would have to be a different greenstuff - the squadron putty probably wouldn't dry before Christmas if you used that amount!!

Glad I decided to check your thread again, as for some reason my e-mail notifications have stopped again - really annoying!!

Keef
keefr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #60
builder77
AF Regular

Simply amazing.
Looking forward to more!
Chris

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports