Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #1
CarCulture
AF Newbie

Humvee indecision...

Hi,
I've been a passionate automotive enthusiast for a long time. After a prolonged struggle about my driver's license and finances that went on for years, I'm finally realizing my goal of buying my own vehicle.
I want a car that is truly great, culturally relevant, and timeless.
Two options come to mind: a Mercedes Benz S-Class (W126, the definitive luxury sedan) and a Humvee (one of the most well known military vehicles).
The W126 is a masterpiece, but the Humvee carries the workhorse spirit in its DNA.
My budget is $3.5K-$10K. I know the Benz is a very solid daily driver, but I'm worried about the Humvee for practically. I'll be commuting in St. Augustine about 40 minutes daily to college.

Is a Humvee impractical for this? Considering possible leaks, part replacemens, etc.
I also found a W126 only 2 miles from where I live. And having to deal with the headache of auctions with the Humvee seems extraneous.
CarCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Humvee indecision...

Neither vehicle makes sense as a daily commuter, especially driving 40 miles daily. The newest W126 is 30 years old. There's also a saying that friends don't let friends buy German.

The Hummer is slow, loud, not the most reliable, and expensive to fix if you don't know how to work on it yourself. To be honest though I wouldn't mind picking up a Hunmer myself, but I only have a 4 mile drive to work.

For a daily commuter driving 40+ miles and your budget look for a Civic or a Camry or something along those lines. You don't need a "great" car. You need a decent one you can depend on and that gets good fuel mileage.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
CarCulture
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
Neither vehicle makes sense as a daily commuter, especially driving 40 miles daily. The newest W126 is 30 years old. There's also a saying that friends don't let friends buy German.

The Hummer is slow, loud, not the most reliable, and expensive to fix if you don't know how to work on it yourself. To be honest though I wouldn't mind picking up a Hunmer myself, but I only have a 4 mile drive to work.

For a daily commuter driving 40+ miles and your budget look for a Civic or a Camry or something along those lines. You don't need a "great" car. You need a decent one you can depend on and that gets good fuel mileage.
40 minutes daily. Saying? I have a friend who is German.

And the Humvee gets a whopping 8 MPG, dang. Well that rules that out.

I disagree. Mercedes has extensive history, as does Cadillac.
CarCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

What does history have to do with anything? You asked for advice and was given just that. As far as history goes German cars have a history of unreliability and being very expensive to repair but the fan boys always go back for some reason.

As I said a 30 year old (at best) Benz is going to one of the last things you want to daily drive. If you are dead set then be my guest, but don't ask for advice then say you're going to do whatever you want.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A