Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > A4 | S4 | RS4 | A5 > '94 - '01
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
geoswhip56
AF Newbie

noise coming from wheel well?

I have a 97 A4 with about 84000 miles on it. There is a screeching noise coming from the driver's side wheel well whenever I turn the steering wheel. The car rides fine and doesn't pull at all. It's been happening for a while now and I've sprayed the whole area with WD-40 but it did nothing. My friend told me that I might need new struts but I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.
geoswhip56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:07 PM   #2
Terrydyson
AF Newbie

Re: noise coming from wheel well?

The classic sounds of a bad wheel bearing are cyclic chirping, squealing and/or growling noise. You can also tell that the sound is related to wheel bearings if it changes in proportion to vehicle speed. The sound can get worse with every turn, or it can disappear momentarily
Terrydyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:14 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: noise coming from wheel well?

Since the original poster refers to a screeching noise that happens with any turn, not just in a particular direction, I'd be more inclined to suspect a loose belt for the power steering pump or a failed pump. But since the post is from over 14 years ago, I have to believe they either have repaired the issue by now or replaced the car.

These are good pointers for others in the future, but don't be surprised if the original poster doesn't reply.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > A4 | S4 | RS4 | A5 > '94 - '01