Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #1
LarryGLack
AF Newbie

03 2500 5.7 hemi runs rough dies

2003 Dodge 2500 4wd 5.7 hemi sets 5 codes. Sometimes will start and run (idle) fine and accelerate while in park normally. Other times it will start hard and run rough. Shut off and re-start and it might run OK after several tries or after only one restart. Will drive OK while running good but might start running rough and lose power while driving. Shut off and restart and it (usually) runs OK again. Sometime can go 70 miles with no trouble other times might quit 2 or three times in 70 miles.

P0032 - O heater high current. - Replaced O sensor (twice) no change in error. Deleted all codes. Disconnected O sensor - started engine ran long enough to set codes. Still shows same code - high heater current - Hmmm, I am not sure how this happens with an open circuit... the wiring harness looks OK, no rat chewed or rubbed off insulation. I checked the voltage to the connector at the sensor and it was within spec. (don't remember exactly (got it off the 'net) 4.2 volts was part of the range if memory serves.... so that is all I know about that.
So ? Bad ECU?? Any one know more about this?? Not me !

P0551 - Power steering pressure sw? OK I know nothing - but it does not seem related to the issue? I could be wrong... Let me know if I am!

P2299 - Brake pedal position. This just appeared the last check with a higher class of code reader. not sure about this one and have not researched any about it...

P2173 - throttle high airflow - This is new with the high class reader also. Have done no research and know nothing ....

P2108 - throttle ctrl position sensor - This was replaced by by nephew (its his truck) before I could check it to see if it was bad. It did not make a difference, we still have the same problems.. I read online to calibrate the sensor and computer to push the accelerator pedal down slowly all the way and let it up the same way with the key on and engine off. I did that - did not make any difference.

A couple throttle bodies came with the truck, we swapped out one that looked almost new, no change in symptoms. We changed plugs, the originals were not bad but had been running rich as they were sooted up and it did puff out a black spot on the ground when started. It seems to have backed off on the soot some... (after the TB change) we don't see the spot on the ground now. (it could be messing with us and doing it when we are not looking)

The next day after he drove it home, the fuel rail came off the last injector next to the firewall on the passenger side. Spraying fuel all over the top of the engine. He drove it home - used up a tank of gas, but no fire! So all was good. I took the rail off and checked the o-rings - looked fine so put it back together and it has not leaked since. NO I have not checked the fuel pressure...

All my guesses come from online posts (no manual of course - not sure it would help in any case)
LarryGLack is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
p0032 , p0551 , p2108 , p2173 , p2299
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10