Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Impulse
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
EvilPixie
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EvilPixie
Impulse engine in a geo storm?

I was told that an impulse engine would fit into a geo storm... just curious if it was true.
EvilPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 08:01 PM   #2
pist
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to pist
its the same car as far as i know so the answer is probably
pist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 05:23 AM   #3
90StormGSI
AF Newbie

here is your answer evilpixie

I know quiet a bit about storms...I have a 1990 Geo Storm GSI, ok..
To begin, do you have a (90-93 base model) 1.6 L SOHC, (90-91 GSI models) 1.6L DOHC, or (92-93 GSI models)1.8L DOHC...
If you are looking for turboing, the SOHC you will need to use i beleive it is a 90-up Isuzu I-Mark RS, it has the same SOHC motor but turbo charged...you can turbo you base model motor at low boost or you can swap motors so you can run higher boost but will require alot more work including the ecu and wiring harness....
If you have a 1.6 DOHC you can just use the 90-93 (i beleive those are the correct years) Isuzu Impulse RS turbo AWD, has the exact same motor but lower compression to compinsate the boost....Agian you can use all the turbo parts and exhaust manifold, etc. with a low boost or swap motors for high boost, but more work is included, ecu and wiring harness, etc...
The 1.8 DOHC i think with a little fabricating you can use the same RS Impulse turbo parts but need to modifiy it a little more...
The motors and trannies are interchangable (I.E. you can use a base storm tranny on an Impulse RS turbo motor, etc)....Also, all the motors will bolt up to any of the storm models (I.E. you can bolt a 1.8L DOHC in the same 1.6L SOHC storm...They have the exact same engine bay and If i am not mistaken they are all the same motor mounts)..I hope this helps...
~Justin
Old 10-29-2002, 01:57 AM   #4
Honoturtle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Honoturtle
Re: here is your answer evilpixie

Quote:
Originally posted by 90StormGSI
I know quiet a bit about storms...I have a 1990 Geo Storm GSI, ok..
To begin, do you have a (90-93 base model) 1.6 L SOHC, (90-91 GSI models) 1.6L DOHC, or (92-93 GSI models)1.8L DOHC...
If you are looking for turboing, the SOHC you will need to use i beleive it is a 90-up Isuzu I-Mark RS, it has the same SOHC motor but turbo charged...you can turbo you base model motor at low boost or you can swap motors so you can run higher boost but will require alot more work including the ecu and wiring harness....
If you have a 1.6 DOHC you can just use the 90-93 (i beleive those are the correct years) Isuzu Impulse RS turbo AWD, has the exact same motor but lower compression to compinsate the boost....Agian you can use all the turbo parts and exhaust manifold, etc. with a low boost or swap motors for high boost, but more work is included, ecu and wiring harness, etc...
The 1.8 DOHC i think with a little fabricating you can use the same RS Impulse turbo parts but need to modifiy it a little more...
The motors and trannies are interchangable (I.E. you can use a base storm tranny on an Impulse RS turbo motor, etc)....Also, all the motors will bolt up to any of the storm models (I.E. you can bolt a 1.8L DOHC in the same 1.6L SOHC storm...They have the exact same engine bay and If i am not mistaken they are all the same motor mounts)..I hope this helps...
~Justin
Nice explanition, my friend was thinking of doing the conversion or selling his slightly modified Storm, the one problem is he can't find any Turbo Impulses here!

~ 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe Sprinter ~
"Oh what a feeling.- Toyota
Honoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:49 PM   #5
getnhi
AF Newbie

1.6 turbo engine

There were only 800 awd turbo impulses made, very hard to find anything.
getnhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:18 PM   #6
koshernerd
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to koshernerd Send a message via MSN to koshernerd
Cool turbocharging the 1.8 DOHC in the storm

there isn't any information out there on how to turbochare the 1.8 DOHC but you can!! the block size is EXACTLY the same as the 1.6 from Isuzu. now you may think that it's a whole week of work to change out parts, but just pull out your 1.8 DOHC and tear off everything from the block up and then also tear off everything from teh block up on the 1.6. actually you can still use your DOHC form teh 1.8 on the newly turbocharged engine. just bolt on the intake, and exust manifold from the 1.6 onto the 1.8 DOHC. you also will need the fuel system control module from the turbo'ed 1.6, it too will hookup just firn to the 1.8.and then drop it down into the storm. I haven't done this because I just haven't had the money to turbocharge my storm. but once I get enough money to do so, I will. I don't know exactly how much more boost the DOHC and the extra .2 leters will do with performence. but it shoudl make a good difference. theorticly you shoudl be able to feel the difference between the turbo 1.6 and the newly turbocharged 1.8L DOHC motor. if you have anyother questions about this change or need and more detailed explination, just email me, I would love to tell you all about it, and to hear how you like the change.

koshernerd@hotmail.com
koshernerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:26 PM   #7
91rs
AF Newbie

Just join the Isuzu Forum at www.kipanderson.net/forum. Everyone there is very helpful and there are alot of people there that have dropped the Isuzu 1.6 turbo engine into their Geo Storms, or do what I did and go buy a '91 Impulse RS Turbo AWD to build.

Last edited by 91rs; 02-12-2005 at 11:34 PM.
91rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
tlbaldaccini
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to tlbaldaccini
Question 1990 geo storm

1990 geo storm parts
help.....im looking for control arm swaybar bushings for base model 1990 geo storm and cant find no where..can someone tell me where i can find the parts needed for my car.....thanks..teresa tlbaldaccini@yahoo.com
tlbaldaccini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:37 PM   #9
tlbaldaccini
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to tlbaldaccini
Re: Impulse engine in a geo storm?

1990 geo storm parts
help.....im looking for control arm swaybar bushings for base model 1990 geo storm and cant find no where..can someone tell me where i can find the parts needed for my car.....thanks..teresa
tlbaldaccini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #10
getnhi
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Impulse engine in a geo storm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbaldaccini
1990 geo storm parts
help.....im looking for control arm swaybar bushings for base model 1990 geo storm and cant find no where..can someone tell me where i can find the parts needed for my car.....thanks..teresa
go to Stormowners.com or Isuzone.org don't mess with this forum, its deadsville

Last edited by getnhi; 03-14-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #11
Lakeshow23
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Impulse engine in a geo storm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnhi
go to Stormowners.com or Isuzone.net don't mess with this forum, its deadsville
It's not dead. I'm posting here!
Lakeshow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #12
Lakeshow23
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Impulse engine in a geo storm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbaldaccini
1990 geo storm parts
You can buy them from the dealer, but they cost a pretty penny. Like $8-$12 per bushing.
Lakeshow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #13
getnhi
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Impulse engine in a geo storm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow23
It's not dead. I'm posting here!
Ok, you can stay here and talk to the walls, I'm leaving.
I have a whopping 14 posts, since Nov 02
Old 03-02-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
Chip___
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pist
its the same car as far as i know so the answer is probably
I have a 1990 geo storm 1.6 dohc Can you run me through the steps of just swapping the turbo from the impulse to my car
Chip___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
Light Storms
AF Newbie

an easier way to retro fit your engine bay is to mount the turbo in the boot where the spare would go im in the middle of this process now ive dreamed about all the details for years, i e self contained oil pump, cooler and filter
Light Storms is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Impulse