Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 12:28 PM   #1
del_blond
AF Newbie

Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help

LOL.....now that I got your attention, please tell me what you know and heard....

I know that most Honda owners have lowered their wheels by installing sports springs, however majority of them don't have Camber Kit installed.

Lowering the car creates a negative angle on your camber, but I heard that you can still keep it under factory spec as long as you drop them below 1.5 ~ 1.8 inches. Is this true?

Tell me your experience.

How much did you drop?
How long have you been riding under this condition?
Condition of your tires?
How often do you rotate?
How often do you change tires?

How much can I actually drop without affecting my Camber?

Sorry for asking too many question, but I am very interested in lowering my car.......however I don't want to end up spending more money on other stuff .....like camber...
del_blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
dome
AF Enthusiast

Check the FAQ in the suspension forum. If that doesn't help try a search on that subject.
dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 01:13 PM   #3
del_blond
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by dome
Check the FAQ in the suspension forum. If that doesn't help try a search on that subject.
Sorry for being blond....
I have already read that.
I don't understand all that tech stuff....

I just wanted to hear real story from people.
del_blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 03:05 PM   #4
dome
AF Enthusiast

There is no definite rules as to if you're going to need a camber kit. If you lower your car, odds are your camber will be compromised. The question is if you are willing to accept the added tire wear associated with excess neg. camber.

I have my car lowered with H&R sport springs. That leaves me with about a 1.75"drop in the front and 1.5" drop in the rear. I'm riding on my stock shocks till I get the dough for an upgrade, and have been like this for only a little over a month I guess.

My rear had about 3 degrees negative camber on either side. I did the bolt and washer trick (search that for more details) and that fixed me right up. The front wasn't thrown off that much, and I am going to watch my tire wear and see if I need to get a front camber kit.

Camber is not the only effect of lowering. Your wheels can develop toe (in or out) and this too can cause uneven tire wear. Plus there is caster (again search) but I hardly understand that one myself.

Hope that helps...I was a newbie not long ago myself.
dome is offline   Reply With Quote