Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Ghorton87
AF Newbie

Best used SUV/Truck under $5k?

Hey everyone! I could really use your help; i am looking for an SUV/Truck for under $5k or so to get me through the next couple years! The only requirement is that it have towing capacity for small aluminium boat. What is the most reliable option in your opinion?
Ghorton87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Best used SUV/Truck under $5k?

In your price range, knowing the service history is going to become rather important to have some confidence the truck will be reliable. Have you heard the saying, "you get what you pay for?"

My vote would be as new of an Explorer with the V8 as you can get for the price. Set aside a budget for maintenance items and transmission service. One nice thing about Explorers is Ford sold a lot of them in each of the model years so there is no shortage of parts and typically no shortage of folks who know how to work on and fix them.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
Ghorton87
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
In your price range, knowing the service history is going to become rather important to have some confidence the truck will be reliable. Have you heard the saying, "you get what you pay for?"

My vote would be as new of an Explorer with the V8 as you can get for the price. Set aside a budget for maintenance items and transmission service. One nice thing about Explorers is Ford sold a lot of them in each of the model years so there is no shortage of parts and typically no shortage of folks who know how to work on and fix them.

-Rod
Thank you! How do you feel about early 2000 model Chevy Tahoe? There are a bunch of those in my price range.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Similar to the Explorer, there were a bunch of Tahoes sold so there should not be a shortage of parts or people that know how to work on them and have probably already figured out how to remedy many of the common issues. I've personally not had good luck with GM products though so I'm probably not the right person to ask since I'm a bit biased toward Ford and even Chrysler (over GM). There are many folks biased toward GM though, so clearly many people have had good luck with GMs (or just don't know any better. )

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

The biggest issues you'll probably have to worry about with that generation is rot and transmission failure.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
Ghorton87
AF Newbie

Thank you for all of the replies! There are a few expedition/explorer and tahoe/suburban options. I also found a 2005 Toyota Sequoia; the motor was rebuilt in 2018 and the replaces all belts, coils and sensors but the transmission and frame has 250k miles. Thoughts?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

The Tahoe and Surburban are similar vehicles with the main difference being the Suburban is longer. The Explorer and Expedition on the other hand are more different. The Explorer is a small SUV whereas the Expedition is a full size SUV.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General