Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Rafael Rivera
AF Newbie

Exclamation I need help with my Sluggish 1984 Chevy G20 Van (skill level low to intermediate)

I bought this van about 2 months ago for 600 bucks. I have been living in it since I'm unemployed and have little resources. The van has always been a bit sluggish and difficult going up hill. Not normally an issue for me since I commute primarily between Pacific Beach and La Jolla Windansea area.
The other day it started stalling, running rough and with even less power, especially when accelerating. When I checked the air filter I found oil in there. I gave the car a full tuneup (pcv, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and air filter.). It does run better now but still stalling and sluggish accelerating. I took it to a mechanic here in PB and they told me they would have to charge me $135 just to diagnose it. They told me it would be an hour and a half job to look at it and find out what was wrong. That is not going to work for me. I'm trying to get by on as little as I can since I am kinda homeless.
What can I do to keep this machine running or should I even bother to put more money into it? I could just drive it until it dies. I would love to know what my options are. Is there anyone out there that could advise me on this issue. I do have some money. I can pay if the repair is affordable and worth it. Otherwise I will have to keep dragging this beast along and pray it doesn't embarrass me in the middle of a busy intersection.
I was thinking of buying a Chilton manual and attempting to adjust the timing. I've never done this before but would be up for the challenge anyway. Can somebody help me with this? Any advise will be helpful. I can pay within reason.

1984 Chevy G20 van V8 5.0 Symptoms: Putting, sluggish, stalling. Oil in air filter.
Replaced: Spark plugs( I noticed no major wear), Dsitributor cap, PCV valve, rotor, air filter, I even tried high octane gas.
Rafael Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Re: I need help with my Sluggish 1984 Chevy G20 Van (skill level low to intermediate)

a compression test may tell some thing did'nt see miles posted
ck for vacuum at pcv hose.... might be oil in filter problem
checking timing is a possibelity may help
sure someone else will have comments
good luck to you & the van
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Rafael Rivera
AF Newbie

Re: I need help with my Sluggish 1984 Chevy G20 Van (skill level low to intermediate)

I apologize for the extra info in the post. i also posted in local craigslist. Ive been advised to check for a loose hose from the carb to the distributor, and also the fuel filter. I'll check this tommorrow when there is light out.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
mcmalloy
AF Regular

if you have oil in the air cleaner that is the sing of blow bye, means your piston rings are going, look in the local parts store for some addetive that will help restore compression, should help the engine last longer,as for the vacume advance on the distributre,with the engine running pull the vacume line off and plug it , this should change the idle, if it dosn't then its not working, you can loosen the bolt at the base of the distributer and advance it your self, it will be harder to start but you will have more power
mcmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Rivera View Post
I bought this van about 2 months ago for 600 bucks. I have been living in it since I'm unemployed and have little resources. The van has always been a bit sluggish and difficult going up hill. Not normally an issue for me since I commute primarily between Pacific Beach and La Jolla Windansea area.
The other day it started stalling, running rough and with even less power, especially when accelerating. When I checked the air filter I found oil in there. I gave the car a full tuneup (pcv, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and air filter.). It does run better now but still stalling and sluggish accelerating. I took it to a mechanic here in PB and they told me they would have to charge me $135 just to diagnose it. They told me it would be an hour and a half job to look at it and find out what was wrong. That is not going to work for me. I'm trying to get by on as little as I can since I am kinda homeless.
What can I do to keep this machine running or should I even bother to put more money into it? I could just drive it until it dies. I would love to know what my options are. Is there anyone out there that could advise me on this issue. I do have some money. I can pay if the repair is affordable and worth it. Otherwise I will have to keep dragging this beast along and pray it doesn't embarrass me in the middle of a busy intersection.
I was thinking of buying a Chilton manual and attempting to adjust the timing. I've never done this before but would be up for the challenge anyway. Can somebody help me with this? Any advise will be helpful. I can pay within reason.

1984 Chevy G20 van V8 5.0 Symptoms: Putting, sluggish, stalling. Oil in air filter.
Replaced: Spark plugs( I noticed no major wear), Dsitributor cap, PCV valve, rotor, air filter, I even tried high octane gas.
Is the oil inside or outside of air filter?
Is the pcv valve sucking good and hoses on it good and not plugged up?
Is it using oil or have any blow by?
Engine running good and no gas in oil?
What weight oil are you using?
Use 10-30 weight and a can of stp or motor honey may hel is any blow by.

To set timing you have to put computer in base time mode first.
Some you jumper A and B pins on diagnostic connector if computer controlled.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Rafael Rivera
AF Newbie

I met a guy from Craigslist and he helped me out with this problem. We titened some hoses and placed nipples on exposed "tits". That brought some power back. Then he showed me how to adjust the timing by loosening a bolt and turning the distributor. The car doesn't stall anymore and is running great for once. I apreciate the advice. To answer some questions: the miles read: 44,000 aprox, I use 20x50 oil, The oil in air filter was on the outside and the oil is wet.

The Van lives to fight another day!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

You are welcome.
We hope you put it in base time mode before setting time.
If oil is on outside of filter it is more than likely sucking oil from a oil leak.

Good Luck
Old 08-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

The odometer reading 44,000 could be 144k or 244k or even 344k. I dont know if the 84 G20's had carburetors or Throttle Body Injection (mine is an 87 with the TBI, & has 260,000 miles on its 350).
If it has an automatic transmission, be sure to keep the fluid level up to the proper marks on the dipstick. This isnt a big deal; but on an older vehicle you cant assume it isnt leaking a little fluid out around the output shaft of the transmission.
Ours is a conversion van -with the rear seat that folds flat-, and I find it a nice vehicle for camping.

Good Luck with your van.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chevy , g20 , sluggish , stalling , van
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics