Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Breeze
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
VanillaGorilla1
AF Newbie

1999 Breeze Blower Problems

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to figure out a problem with my girlfriend's '99 Breeze. A month ago, the heater/blower stopped working in all positions except high. I replaced the blower motor resistor and the problem was fixed for a couple of days and then the resistor must have failed because it went back to only working on high again. Long story short, she kept using the car with heat on high. Then, last night, I believe a fuse blew because she lost heat, radio stopped working, and turn signals stopped working. I am heading to her place tonight to try to fix it. I know I will need to replace the blown fuse and the blower motor resistor again.

Here's the question: Can anyone give me an idea of what I need to do to fix this problem? I suspect the blower motor is drawing too much current or the dash fan-speed selector is bad. Something caused that fuse to blow and something caused that blower motor resistor to go bad a second time.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Mike
VanillaGorilla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1999 Breeze Blower Problems

It would be good to know why the blower resistor is failing- the last one I did had the thermal overload fuse blown- this is the little element soldered in series between the legs of the resistor- you can do a simple continuity check on it to determine if it is failed- it probably failed due to too much current- from a worn out blower motor- if blower squeals- or spins hard, or is hot to touch- you can bet it is pulling some big amps- takes a big amp meter to check it- most VOM's don't support anything over 10 amps- so don't blow your VOM on this- use a 10 amp inline fuse if necessary.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

I wouldn't hesitate to replace the blower as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
VanillaGorilla1
AF Newbie

Guys, thanks for the help. You'll never guess what the problem was. When my girlfriend told me that the radio, turn signals, and blower stopped working all at once, I thought "must be a fuse". Then as I started to check fuses, I quickly realized that each of the components is on a separate fuse, so my first theory went out the window. I asked her to recreate the problem. She started the car up and sure enough, none of the three components worked. I scratched my head ... then I tried to duplicate the problem myself and realized that when I turned the key to start and then released it, it did not spring back to the "run" position. Instead, it hung between "start" and "run". So, this problem is with her ignition switch and it simply is not springing back to make the electrical connection for "run" mode. So I'll be replacing that, but for now, I've instructed her to simply manually twist the key back to the run position after starting.

As for the blower motor, I pulled it with the thought of replacing it but found that there was junk in the fan which was probably causing a higher current draw which can pop the resistor (what the resistor is designed to do). So, I removed the junk from the fan and I'll bet that if I replace the resistor again, everything SHOULD work fine. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Again, thanks for the input!
Mike
VanillaGorilla1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Breeze