Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:04 AM   #61
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast

Re: Best Headturner for under 40k

yea, the vette owned the new cobra.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #62
jameschang
AF Newbie

Hey good news, I just got wind of a good investment; should mean I can put some extra money into the car...although the smart thing would be to oh I don't know.....put a downpayment on a condo instead of paying rent....but who said I was a smart person.

So this means a 55k car is reasonable, although to be honest this is starting to get much, I love cars, but never spent this much on anything before.

So with the extra cash some other cars open up. What does everyone think of a 996, Maserati Gran Sport (Ferrari dealer close to me has one for 60k for a '04 I think), or should I just wait for the new G35 Coupe? I know it's leagues below a Porsche and Maserati, but supposidly it has 300+ horses and a 0-60 of 5.1, and lets face it....it's actually an everyday car....

Thanks for everyone's response; this tread started out as a half joke, but I actually went and drove a NSX a few weeks ago because of everyone recommending it....and....I love it...of course I don't drive too many highend performance cars.....so what do I know....is Acura coming out with a replacement soon?
jameschang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #63
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

i'm a big fan of the G35, especially the new ones but recently i've been growing really fond of the new Porsche cayman. have you looked into that at all?
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #64
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

I would get a BMW 335i before a G35 coupe. The G35 is less expensive and pretty good, but if you drove them back to back it would be pretty easy to tell the difference in quality.

I would avoid a Maserati GS as well. The only thing it really has going for it is looks and Italianness. Based on pretty much everything I've heard it really isn't all that great of a car. Very unreliable, not quite stellar handling, quality not up to Porsche standards, bad transmissions, and a bit feminine. More of a basketball player's wife's car and less of a basketball player's car.

As far as Porsches go, the Cayman (Coxster) is just about within your price range without options and as far as option lists go, Porsche has one of the longest. The problem with the Coxster is that Porsche is trying to make you pay a few thousand more for what is infact a Boxster with a hardtop. Porsche is the only company that tries to make you pay more for the hardtop version of a car, which is kind of stupid in my book. If you are into Porsche, you might be within the price range of the previous generation 911 (996). You might want to start looking around for a ~2000 911 Carrera S.

Now, a car that I'm growing more and more fond of is the BMW Z4-M Coupe. BMW followed a similar idea to what Porsche did. Take the roadster and turn it into a hardtop, but in BMWs case they make you pay $1,000 less for the coupe which turns out to be almost $10,000 less then a base Coxster S. Not only is it less expensive, its more powerful too. It also won't get the same "I couldn't afford a 911" stigma that a Boxster or Coxster will get. I think that it is a fantastic, unique, rare car. Another option from BMW might be the next generation M3 (E92) which supposedly will be out in a little less then a year. What you will get for your wait is a rumored 450hp 4.0L V8 with a 9,000RPM redline and a brand new dual-clutch transmission.

Of course the NSX is still a great choice. The closest thing to a real supercar that you can realistically afford. More money will just mean that you can get a newer one with fewer miles.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #65
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast

for 55k you could get a nice lotus elise and have sonme left over. now thats a head turner.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #66
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

That car sucks though. After having sat in a lotus.... performance can quickly be overlooked.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #67
Red CELL
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschang
Hey good news, I just got wind of a good investment; should mean I can put some extra money into the car...although the smart thing would be to oh I don't know.....put a downpayment on a condo instead of paying rent....but who said I was a smart person.

So this means a 55k car is reasonable, although to be honest this is starting to get much, I love cars, but never spent this much on anything before.

So with the extra cash some other cars open up. What does everyone think of a 996, Maserati Gran Sport (Ferrari dealer close to me has one for 60k for a '04 I think), or should I just wait for the new G35 Coupe? I know it's leagues below a Porsche and Maserati, but supposidly it has 300+ horses and a 0-60 of 5.1, and lets face it....it's actually an everyday car....

Thanks for everyone's response; this tread started out as a half joke, but I actually went and drove a NSX a few weeks ago because of everyone recommending it....and....I love it...of course I don't drive too many highend performance cars.....so what do I know....is Acura coming out with a replacement soon?
thats good news! it wont hurt you to find a high end muscle car and take it for a test drive to know 1st hand. forget what the biased people here think . youll never know until you experience it for yourself. i've been in your shoes.
I get more looks and appreciation for my 69 camaro than my friend in his 2005 911 TT does. and im faster!!
you want a head turner? the sound from a powerfull muscle car turns heads !! girls absolutley love the feel riding in them. good luck on your choice whatever it may be! keep in mind, for the money you want to invest in a car
the muscle will only appreciate.
Red CELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #68
jameschang
AF Newbie

I do like muscle cars, and do appreciate the idea; I think I'll try to maybe arrange to drive one or at least be a passenger in one soon (camaro or 'vette); but I would at this point still pick a new, or semi new car over a classic; unless of course it's a DB5 (even Austin Powers looks good driving one); but that's a whole different story.

I have to admit, the Cayman looks really nice, I like the lines better than the 997 to be honest; but I can still remember when I first saw the Cayman. I was thinking "ah yes, now there's a more reasonable way to Porsche ownership", but no....they charged more....and all the reports for the Cayman seem to say; it's a great car, but they could've made it just that much better...but if they did, then the 911 owners would be upset. Hmm. Isn't the Boxster coming out with a power hardtop soon? Porsche...first an SUV...then the Cayman...and now a 4 door saloon....yet I still want every one of them...

For the Maserati GS; yeah, it's a sexy car, but I agree it's in the same category as Jaguar coupes...enough power, but just kinda feminine.

The 335ci is probably the most reasonable along with the new G35; and for some reason they're charging 85k CDN for the new E92 M3...yikes. Plus the G and M3 aren't coming out until later in 2007...time to annoy the BMW and Infiniti dealers
jameschang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #69
Red CELL
AF Newbie

James
I really like the Cayman s, I dont think you could go wrong there.
Also a 2005-2006 c6 vette (not the z06)is in that price range, if you need to go faster find the z51 packaged vette. If you do find a muscle you like check back here with the details and I'd be more than glad to help you with codes and info.
good luck!
Red CELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #70
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Here is the Top Gear episode on the Cayman, I would definitely watch it before considering purchasing one-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yBzKhW5zJU

and here is the Z4 M-Roadster against the Boxster S

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uAphQpbm4JA

As I see it, the biggest problem with the Cayman S is the options list. You could get a base one, but realistically you might want things like xenon headlights, metallic paint, sports exhaust, pasm, perhaps the ceramic breaks or nav. In fact, if you wanted a Cayman with some options, you easily pass the 911 Carrera in price ($72,000). Even if you completely option out the Z4M-Coupe with navigation, bluetooth, etc. you still don't quite reach the base price of the Cayman. The Cayman S is a good car, but Porsche does everything in its power to take your money. I personally couldn't justify paying that much more for the Cayman S when the BMW is every bit as good but significantly less expensive,

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #71
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red CELL
forget what the biased people here think . youll never know until you experience it for yourself.
i find it funny how a camaro owner who came here to recommend a camaro calls the rest of us biased.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #72
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
Here is the Top Gear episode on the Cayman, I would definitely watch it before considering purchasing one-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yBzKhW5zJU

and here is the Z4 M-Roadster against the Boxster S

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uAphQpbm4JA

As I see it, the biggest problem with the Cayman S is the options list. You could get a base one, but realistically you might want things like xenon headlights, metallic paint, sports exhaust, pasm, perhaps the ceramic breaks or nav. In fact, if you wanted a Cayman with some options, you easily pass the 911 Carrera in price ($72,000). Even if you completely option out the Z4M-Coupe with navigation, bluetooth, etc. you still don't quite reach the base price of the Cayman. The Cayman S is a good car, but Porsche does everything in its power to take your money. I personally couldn't justify paying that much more for the Cayman S when the BMW is every bit as good but significantly less expensive,
Nice cars , but hardly a head turner. They are very plain looking IMO.

Cars like this are what turn heads>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...46556033QQrdZ1

If your driving down the street, this car will turn any and evry head at the same place and time that it is.

Last edited by hotrod_chevyz; 11-05-2006 at 11:03 PM.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #73
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

forget new cars; get a DB7. I've been seeing cars hit the £30,000 mark recently but that'll be for the older V8 cars.
in anycase, you'll defintely get more attention from everyone with a proper classic car than you will get with a modern car.

Read them.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #74
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
forget new cars; get a DB7.
Yeah those are nice. But you would probably have to go back to a 96 or 97 model to stay around 40,000.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #75
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

yeah.... i know but if it is just head turning power you want, that little winged badge does wonders.
of course, you could always go for the equally good XKR of the same generation instead.
that light metallic blue of theirs is a hell of a sexy colour in the summer sun.

Read them.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons