Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 04:19 PM   #1
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
RPM dependent rattle

Okay, so at about 2500 rpm my engine makes a weird rattle. It's not very loud, and it doesn't seem to speed up as the engine speed increases (say, to 6000 rpm). However, if the engine speed is about 2000 or less you can't hear it at all. Any ideas on what it could be?

Performance hasn't slipped at all, nor has gas milage, but I have noticed that I'm losing small amounts of oil...burning or leaking, I don't know.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:19 PM   #2
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
I notice that sometimes my dipstick rattles at certain RPM's and some oil forces past it when it happens. Check all the bolts on the valve cover and check the Oil Pan drain plug.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 02:54 PM   #3
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
well... the rattle is pretty dependent on resonance... so the rattle may come in at a certain rpm which has a certain resonance..

my car does that...the heat shield rattled at about 2500 rpm... look at all flat metal parts... b/c they resonate easily... and if it was a loose bolt, etc... it would rattle all the time..
so just keep an ear out for it... and take your time... maybe listen in a tunnel, under a bridge, or get under the car when it rattles... it takes a while ,but you can find it...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote