Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
AF Regular

Audio System

Hey I'm looking to install my own sound system in my '90 Z. I was wondering if anyone knew of a website or something that showed step by steps - or one that just showed in what order I need to take panels off. I took a little time to explore to see if I could figure it all out, but I couldn't figure out what order to take shit off. Thanks for the help
123212321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Audio System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123212321
Hey I'm looking to install my own sound system in my '90 Z. I was wondering if anyone knew of a website or something that showed step by steps - or one that just showed in what order I need to take panels off. I took a little time to explore to see if I could figure it all out, but I couldn't figure out what order to take shit off. Thanks for the help
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNis300zx0.htm

your welcome.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
AF Regular

Okay I dont think you could have answered that question any better - how about this one?

I want to do a rewire also, but also want to keep it very simple. What is the easiest way? Can I just find a simple wiring route that will hide the wires and get the job done? Or is it much more complicated?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

you'll need to remove the stock amplifiers (recommended) if you're wanting to rewire the speakers... which is on there as well.... it's just basically running wires from the speaker to the head unit keeping them away from any large power sources (power cable for amps and such) but if you don't have subs/aftermarket amps you don't really have to worry.. getting the wires into the doors i found on my 86 was a big pain in the ass, but doable with a coathanger and some electrical tape... anyway, if you're getting an aftermarket headunit, it's prettymuch required that you run new wires to the speakers anyway... have fun!
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriousZ
you'll need to remove the stock amplifiers (recommended) if you're wanting to rewire the speakers... which is on there as well.... it's just basically running wires from the speaker to the head unit keeping them away from any large power sources (power cable for amps and such) but if you don't have subs/aftermarket amps you don't really have to worry.. getting the wires into the doors i found on my 86 was a big pain in the ass, but doable with a coathanger and some electrical tape... anyway, if you're getting an aftermarket headunit, it's prettymuch required that you run new wires to the speakers anyway... have fun!
totally correct if you have the Bose system. but the Bose system was an option on the Z32.

so first figure out if you have the Bose system. hopefully you dont...

if you have the Bose system you will need to run speaker wires to all 4 speakers and delerious is right, getting through the doors is a complete pain. not to mention under the dash you have to remove alot of shit just to get to an opening in your dash to get to your headunit. DIFFICULT!

if you dont have a Bose system, you can probably just get away with dont some testing and using the stock wiring and just splicing in the new speakers and splicing in the head unit wiring harness. EASY!

if you have a BOSE system it is almost worth to pay a quality shop to do it for you. most dont charge much of anything when you consider how much cursing is involved
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
AF Regular

Okay - I have the bose system

I figure a new head unit and 4 quality speakers is a good enough system for me, I don't want to mess with a sub and amplifier right now, that is for sure.

I somewhat understand the wiring from the head unit to the speakers, but what about getting a power source to all of that from the battery? Which one of the wires that plugs into the head unit is the power source? and should I just keep that wiring?

What type of connectors are used to connect the speakers to the wires to the headunit also? Are they going to have to be the same kind that I unconnected to remove the speakers? And if so, does anyone know how the fuck to rig those up They look a lot more confusing than my original idea of just red to red, black to black. Thanks for the help!

So the stock amps are jsut contained inside the rear speaker box?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Okay - I have the bose system

I figure a new head unit and 4 quality speakers is a good enough system for me, I don't want to mess with a sub and amplifier right now, that is for sure.

I somewhat understand the wiring from the head unit to the speakers, but what about getting a power source to all of that from the battery? Which one of the wires that plugs into the head unit is the power source? and should I just keep that wiring?

What type of connectors are used to connect the speakers to the wires to the headunit also? Are they going to have to be the same kind that I unconnected to remove the speakers? And if so, does anyone know how the fuck to rig those up They look a lot more confusing than my original idea of just red to red, black to black. Thanks for the help!

So the stock amps are jsut contained inside the rear speaker box?
ahh...thats the easy part. you need to go to a stereo installer (i dont like wal-mart for this kind of stuff) and tell them you need the installation harness for a Nissan 300zx. the colors match up to and aftermarket cd player and then you just plug it right into the stock harness. easy stuff...if i remember correctly, i dont remember using a bracket installation kit, but i did it so long ago i dont really remember. if you dont need the installation kit (Which i am pretty sure they dont make nor do you need one), all you need to do is use the metal slide in bracketry that came in with your aftermarket CD player. slide that metal housing in the slot and bend some of those clips back until the bracket is held in there secure. now, once you ahve the wiring done you juswt slide the deck in making sure you have the removal sliders that slide down the side of the CD player to unlock the Deck from the metal housing. hope i explained that well...for those that have done it before probably know what i am tlakingn about but those that have never seen what i am talking about probably do not know what i am talking about. here is the wiring harness you need...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hxj7fCn...00&I=120701763

the head unit you will want to splice and then solder all connections.

the speakers you will want to solder the connections the speaker and then use basic wiring connecters about 10-12 inches from the speaker to connect to the rest of the wire. this makes further installations or problems easy. the connectors i am speaking of just clamp on the wire and there is a male and female end and they just lock in together.

BTW: i would run atleast 18 gauge wire, i think that is what most factories use. i have ran 18 and 16 gauge depending on wattage and have never had problems. i swear by Tsunami wiring for a nice alternative to the pricey options out there.

hope this helps.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 01-30-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
AF Regular

I stared at what you said for like 30 minutes, and looked at that picture for like 30 minutes - and now it makes sense. I think I am almost ready to dive in, I have just one more question . . .

Once I hook that adapter thing up to the head unit, and connect it to my factory connector - my factory connector is still hooked up to a bunch of old wire that I want to replace. How will I know which of those wires goes to what speaker/function in order to replace them? I hope that makes sense
Old 01-31-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

just a side note, i've never done any soldering for any of my connections in the car and never ever had a problem.... i use quality connectors tho...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:58 AM   #10
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
I stared at what you said for like 30 minutes, and looked at that picture for like 30 minutes - and now it makes sense. I think I am almost ready to dive in, I have just one more question . . .

Once I hook that adapter thing up to the head unit, and connect it to my factory connector - my factory connector is still hooked up to a bunch of old wire that I want to replace. How will I know which of those wires goes to what speaker/function in order to replace them? I hope that makes sense
your not eve gonna want to even attempt to replace the old factory wires if we are tlaking about the same wires. that means replacing the whole interor harness and trust me, thats a box a worms you dont want to get involved in.

Delerious, not soldering wires hurts your quality. each connection a wire has to go through it loses its potency. i was always taught to use the least amount of connections as possible but then again, i worked with really high end stereo equipment so i guess the customers deserve the best for what they are paying. anyways, soldering makes it a solid connection so it doesnt do this. you will notice with really nice and highly amplified systems but probably with the average system like me and you and the other average joe, it doesnt matter at all. just some advice that i have picked up...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 01-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
your not eve gonna want to even attempt to replace the old factory wires if we are tlaking about the same wires. that means replacing the whole interor harness and trust me, thats a box a worms you dont want to get involved in.
Why can't I just bypass them using my own wiring route?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Why can't I just bypass them using my own wiring route?
what wires are you talking about? are you talking about the speaker wires or the wires leading to the deck?

i am advising you to replace the wires to the speakers. but if you are talking about the wires that go to the wiring harness that connects into the stock head unit then no, your not gonna want to mess with those...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
AF Regular

Okay, I was ready to start my project - I went out and bought an Alpine head unit and the harness. I hooked up and color matched all the wires, and when I went to plug it in I could hear the shot speakers crackle so I know that stuff should be connected right. The Head unit, though, wasn't getting power. The only thing that was hooked up to my stock head unit that isn't hooked up to the aftermarket is the black plug in that has two wires going into it, and plugs in with 2 prongs and a side lock-type-thing. If you guys know what cord I am talking about, can you tell me if it is the problem and how to fix it (I'm praying it's easy) such as buying an adapter for it or something. Thanks!

Edit: I need an antenna adapter! I was able to plug in the stock antenna cord to the new one by just touching metal to metal, and the power came on and everything - I actually figured something out myself -_-

Last edited by 123212321; 02-02-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #14
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Okay, I was ready to start my project - I went out and bought an Alpine head unit and the harness. I hooked up and color matched all the wires, and when I went to plug it in I could hear the shot speakers crackle so I know that stuff should be connected right. The Head unit, though, wasn't getting power. The only thing that was hooked up to my stock head unit that isn't hooked up to the aftermarket is the black plug in that has two wires going into it, and plugs in with 2 prongs and a side lock-type-thing. If you guys know what cord I am talking about, can you tell me if it is the problem and how to fix it (I'm praying it's easy) such as buying an adapter for it or something. Thanks!

Edit: I need an antenna adapter! I was able to plug in the stock antenna cord to the new one by just touching metal to metal, and the power came on and everything - I actually figured something out myself -_-
good job...i am glad you figured it out. because i had no idea what harness you were talking about.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 02-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #15
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

I found the easiest way to repace the Bose system was to take it to Circuit City and by a decent head unit and some infinity speakers and let them install it all, it took them 5 hours but hey I didnt break a sweat and I had fun watching. But thats the lazy mans way with money. I think it ran me around 400 dollars. But I didnt have to screw with it so I thought it was worth it. I will do anything under the hood but I HATE interiour work.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)